Ledoux?

Tammi

Private woodwind instructor
I have an old Ledoux Artist Bb sop. that I picked up really cheap about 5 years ago at an 'Antique' shop. I've done some searching on who may have made it but so far have come up empty. More than likely it's a lesser known stencil. I was hoping that one of you may have heard of them.

What I do know is that it says Ledoux Artist, France. The keywork is German silver, the wood is nice and tight grained. It 'appears' to be a high end intermediate or possibly 'Pro' clarinet. The case suggests a 1930's vintage.
After a good cleaning, oiling, and repad, it plays exceptionally well. Intonation is pretty even throughout the entire range.

I can't give a serial number or post photos at this time. The clarinet is currently on loan to a young man to use in Concert Band. I may be able to get it back for a day to get some photos if needed.

BTW I did check Petes' list of manufacturers posted here and it wasn't on the list.

Any information would be appreciated.

Googling points to a 1920's to 1930's manufacture. I haven't heard of this company off the top of my head, so I'd have to research it a bit more.

The only other comment I came across was "not as desirable as anticipated after overhaul".

Pictures may prove helpful.

What did you google to get a manufacture date? I couldn't find anything useful.
I've seen a few on that auction site. Most had cases that date around the 40's and 50's.

I wonder if the undesireable one got a bad overhaul. Mine actually played better than expected afterwards.

I'll have to try and get in contact with the young man that has this clarinet in order to get some photos. I'll do my best to get a few for you.

Easy, Glen.

I Googled "Ledoux Clarinet" and got a couple hits. There was even one for an eBay ad that had sadly closed too long ago, so I couldn't see any pictures.

I'm used to Glen. He's a stinker.

I'm sure my daughter will be talking to the kid who has my clarinet within the next couple of days. He has a bad case of the 'LIKES' for her.
I'll have her ask if he can get some photos and email them to me.

If you would like them sooner I can call him myself and set something up.

Nah, that should be fine.

I'll try to remember to look up "Ledoux" in the New Langwill Index when I get a chance. I'm just about to pass out for the night and tomorrow is going to be uber-busy.

The other horns I found on Google were also allegedly marked "National". Do you remember seeing any stamp that said that?

Mine only has Ledoux Artist. I had to go over it with white crayon to make it more legible.

I have seen a National on ebay. The case looked about 15-20 years newer. But cases can be replaced.

I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

Well, I looked at the online editions of The New Langwill and there's no mention of Ledoux. Unless our clarinet eggsperts have something else to say off the tops of their respective heads, I'd say we'd have to wait for pictures!

I would assume that this make went away by WWII, which would be 1939-ish.

I might be able to talk the kind into bringing it to camp.
I'll have a camera and my daughters' lap top down there with me.

A couple of weeks after that we start Monday night rehersals. I'll have a chance to get pics then too.

I'll try my best to help you help me.

I have one too

I also have a Ledoux clarinet I know very little about. It was my Mothers and it was bought for her in grade school (somewhere between 1956 and 1961), not sure if it was new when she got it. Mine says standard under the Ledoux logo and has made in France written just below the top of the bell. There is also a number etched just below the neck C3485. My Grandfather told me once that it was made from a rare wood and cost him a lot back when he bought it.

That's pretty much what mine looks like.

Except mine has Artist in script below the Ledoux and it's not missing the bell ring. The keys on mine don't appear to have ever been nickle plated. They're more German silver-esque.

The case for this one is quite a bit newer.
Mine is more like a 30's pouchette case that Buffet and Selmer used. Canvas over wood with double handles. It appears to be original to the clarinet.

Little cases are nice if you don't need to pack many 'extras'.

My Signature has the nice leather covered pouchette lined in suede.
There's enough room for my reed case, tube of cork grease, swab, and a very small pencil. I might be able to fit in a screw driver, but I'm afraid that it will slide around in there and scratch up my keys. I've had it ~6 years and it still looks brand new.

Anything else I may need I put in my purse or a small tote bag.

Back
Top Bottom