WF New People Introductions

Angelina:

Welcome aboard. One comment you made makes me say this - reed strength is not an indicator of ability. I fear too many beginners think they have to keep increasing their reed strength to show progress.

It ain't that way. I've played for over 50 years and do best with #1 1/2 or #2 reeds, all of which I shave down for better response. Even with soft reeds, I work on reducing my volume.

Once you develop your embouchure, you may end up with even softer reeds - much depends on the design of the mouthpiece as well as your embouchure. One size does not fit all.

Good luck with your efforts. DAVE

Thanks. I (think I) know what you mean - and it is good to be reminded of that! - but it just seems to be working out that way. I did try the Yamaha for a while and found that it wanted softer reeds, for instance. I initially had only 2.5s and that is still mainly what I have/use. One day, I went to the shop again and purchased 4 2.5s, 2 2.0s and 2 3.0s. (Curiosity. I also have a 2.5 and a 3.0 plasticover, but the 2.5 plasticover is much softer than 2.5; the 3 is at least a 3 and too tough, but I prefer cane anyway.) I tend to get a slightly different sound with the 3, and I like it. I am not saying I will move to a 3.0 either. Too soon to tell.

Like I said, I also really seem to like slightly chipped 2.5s (but they don't last as long :cool:).

(Btw, I don't use a regular embouchure. May play a role too. Forgot to mention that.)

Last edited:
This discussion may be better placed in the reeds-section, but if I were you, Angelina, I'd toss all the chipped reeds (if you mean they have little sections missing from the reed's tip). It is a rare reed indeed that will play well with a chipped tip.

I too use a pocket knife blade to "adjust" my reeds and have not yet found a reason to invest in some fancy reed-adjusting kit.

More on reeds - they vary widely even among the same brand, style, and strength, so before any of us make any commitment to a certain brand, style and/or strength, I think we need to go through several boxes and do sort of a study.

I have done that and have settled on certain brands, styles, and strengths for certain mouthpieces I carry in my cases. For instance, I've learned that Vandoren ZZ #2 works well FOR ME on my Don Sinta alto mouthpiece, but they are too hard for my other alto pieces (for those I use Vandoren Java 1 1/2 or 2). I buy reeds by the box and do not select them for purchase individually.

Angelina, I hope that while you are doing all of this learning and experimenting, you have a good saxophone teacher. DAVE

Last edited:
I seem to remember that Benny Goodman used 1 and 1.5 reeds on clarinet.

I used Vandoren 3.5s on bari :).

At some point, a person will decide for themselves what their best equipment is. However, even Tiger Woods occasionally has to adjust his grip -- as recommended by his swing coach :).

A bit about myself. Just started learning how to play flute. Been practicing since March. Last year I taught myself how to read music and a bit of music theory. I've also gotten into listening more to classical music. Knowing a bit more about music theory I'm able to appreciate classical music much more than before.

That's about it I guess.
Fox

Welcome Fox. Where do you live? Are you playing with any groups or bands yet? Do you have an Internet presence yet besides on this forum.

Thanks, I'm not really comfortable with posting where I live ...

I am not playing with any groups or anything. I just started to learn so I'm kinda shy about letting anyone listening to me play.

I am on a couple other message boards. The only other music related board is the one on fluteland.com

I am not playing with any groups or anything. I just started to learn so I'm kinda shy about letting anyone listening to me play.

That's okay. I'm rather shy, too.

I wish you many rewarding hours at the business end of your instrument. Welcome aboard!

Well we don't need it to the street. But know generally speaking where you live will help us communicate better. Canadian, US, Brit? Northwest, south, whatever helps. But it certainly isn't manditory.

Everyone has to start somewhere.

South Dakota?

Hello. I just joined. Some of you know me already. Mostly tenor sax although I own an alto and a bari. I had a soprano and sold it last month because I never got called to play it. Yesterday I got my first call. :cry:

I also play piano, trumpet and string bass.

My roots are in Dixieland. I play jazz and old standards mostly nowadays.

In an earlier life I was a computer programmer and writer of prose about computer programming. No, I can't fix your hard drive.

Last edited:
Hey Al - welcome. "Dixieland" is exclusively my bag. Glad to see another trad-jazzer here.

This last weekend, the band I play with (Golden Eagle Jazz Band in Fullerton, CA) introduced a "new" tune to our book. DOWN AND OUT BLUES - I did the alto-lead on it.

The tune was recorded several times in the 1920's (maybe the best version was by The Cotton Club Orchestra - listen to it on redhotjazz.com) and then by a French band called Charquet & Co. (now defunct but many of its players are still going strong) in the late 1970's. I haven't heard a current trad band do it.

Anyway, good to see you here. DAVE

Back
Top Bottom