WF New People Introductions

Hey Al - welcome. "Dixieland" is exclusively my bag. Glad to see another trad-jazzer here.

This last weekend, the band I play with (Golden Eagle Jazz Band in Fullerton, CA) introduced a "new" tune to our book. DOWN AND OUT BLUES - I did the alto-lead on it.

The tune was recorded several times in the 1920's (maybe the best version was by The Cotton Club Orchestra - listen to it on redhotjazz.com) and then by a French band called Charquet & Co. (now defunct but many of its players are still going strong) in the late 1970's. I haven't heard a current trad band do it.

Anyway, good to see you here. DAVE

I wasn't familiar with that one. I'm listening to the Cotton Club Orchestra version now. I wonder if the Buck Creek Band did it, too. John Skillman, clarinet in that band, moved to FL a while ago. (I'm from the DC area, too.) I get together with John from time to time. I'll have to ask him about it.

(it strikes me as ever so slightly funny that you're a "junior member", but that's probably just the forum... :D)
It is, but so many people comment on that "ranking", I think I'm going to leave it as "junior member" :p.

(It'll change as you post more, Al!)

Welcome!

It is, but so many people comment on that "ranking", I think I'm going to leave it as "junior member" :p.
Long as you don't change mine to "Nerd" just because I own an Alto clarinet...

Al: Buck Creek had a huge list of esoteric old jazz. They were well known for that - and a terrific trad style. I don't recall ever hearing them do DOWN AND OUT BLUES, but who knows? DAVE

Hi everyone. Maggielou here. I play flute mainly but have been learning the saxophone for the past year and have just started the clarinet..
I play alto flute too which I love. I play in a flute quartet and two bands .. flute..... plus I play second alto in a jazz band with my saxophone.
I am very keen to progress in the new year with my clarinet.
I have already enjoyed reading the posts in this forum and have picked up a lot of info.
Happy new year to everyone.
Maggielou:-D

Hello All,
Just recently joined your forum and thought I would drop in to say hello. I recognize quite a few from SOTW so while it may be new (to me)
there is a certain familiarity that makes it like a family reunion. A little about me---picked up playing again after a layoff of a few years. My children noticed some strange looking cases in the closet and after some prodding managed to get me to reveal their secrets. Got them involved in music and in order to really get them going I joined them whenever they would practice. My son picked the tenor and my daughter went the flute route. When my son started high school, the band director just happened to be a former school mate of mine, and he suggested that perhaps the parents would like to get together and form a band. That was all it took!
My current horns are a Keilwerth SX90R NS tenor and a Yanigasawa A992. I also have a Selmer Omega clarinet that I fool around on once in a while but I really need to practice more to become proficient.(read that as not to suck as much on it and make an idiot of myself whenever I play it).
Looking foward to hearing and learning from you all
Oscar

Oscar: Welcome. Nice horn, that A992. I had one but sold it. It was a good player. My favorite modern soprano is an S992. DAVE

I see a lot of familiar names from SOTW here. I'm an old retread, played until I was 19, quit for almost 40 years, started again about nine years ago. I play bari sax in one concert band, soprano clarinet in another, and alto, tenor and clarinet in a big band -- all in the Kansas City area.

Equipment: Vito VSP (Yani B901), Yani A880 and T901, Ridenour Lyrique and Leblanc Classic II clarinets, and the love of my life, a rather worn 1936 Conn 10M. I'm a fan of Doc Tenney's sax mouthpieces and Ralph Morgan's clarinet pieces. (I do understand the latter may disqualify me as a real clarinetist in some circles.)

New Members 2009

Hi,

Just stumbled across this forum the other day (my Google search picked up references to sarrusophones...).

I started on clarinet around 1968, dropped to bass clarinet in 1971, bassoon around 1972, contrabassoon around 1974 (anyone see a trend here...). Played bassoon and bari sax throughout high school and college.

Somewhere along the line, I developed a life-long interest in musical instruments, particularly the more obscure horns of the Western world, and have now managed to accumulate a few sarrusophones (Bb tenor, Bb bass, and Eb contra), a reed contrabass, an ophicleide, a contrabass trumpet, heckelphone, contrabass clarinet, and a few higher instruments.

These days, I play mainly in the San Jose Wind Symphony (mainly contrabass, contra-alto, and bass clarinets, sometimes bass or contra sarrusophone), and sometimes bari and tenor sax (and a bit of flute) with a local funky dance band (Tower of Power, Chicago, EWF, etc.). Played a season last year with an Early Music group (recorders, shawms, racketts, crumhorns, bass cornamuse, guitar). And most years, I drag out my Eb contra sarrusophone for the San Jose Saxophone Xmas (sometimes accompanied by a daughter on Bb bass sarrusophone -- had 192 saxophones this year).

By day (and on into the evening ;-)) I'm a patent attorney (I work in-house for a drug company, so no, I'm not fishing for clients). Feel free to ask general questions about patenting inventions (and sometimes copyright).

Um, perhaps that was more than a little... ;-)

Grant

Last edited:
My name's bob ..............................................................hello bob

hi
I'm not a big chatter.:geezer1: :???: nice selection of smilies :-D
So where's the suggestion box ? ;-)

Back
Top Bottom