WF New People Introductions

Nice Ta Meet Cha

Greetings! I just finished reading all the introductions in this thread. I feel as if I already know some of you.

I am one of those people who woke up one day with questions, like:
Where's my saxophone?
Why don't I have a saxophone?
Why didn't I buy that bassoon after high school?
Why haven't I been playing for the past few decades?

I misplaced my embouchure somewhere, and am still looking for it. I used to have a nice one. It needed hardly any air. I could decide deep in my chest what note would come out. A local friend (AltoRuth), is encouraging me to join one of the local community bands. I think I will. I need the playing time with a group.

I started buying vintage saxophones from ebay, just to get one to play. Went a bit overboard with that (last count is 21). I am learning some instrument repair, by necessity.

I have this same name on SOTW. This looks like a smaller room, with a different vibe, and a different crowd.

Greetings! I just finished reading all the introductions in this thread. I feel as if I already know some of you.

A local friend (AltoRuth), is encouraging me to join one of the local community bands. I think I will. I need the playing time with a group.

I started buying vintage saxophones from ebay, just to get one to play. Went a bit overboard with that (last count is 21). I am learning some instrument repair, by necessity.

I have this same name on SOTW. This looks like a smaller room, with a different vibe, and a different crowd.

Well hey to you, DavyRay!

Looks like we joined up on the same day----but while you were signing on I was playing my little heart out at the community band concert this afternoon, where I was hoping that you just might show up.

I'm also on SOTW and with the same name. I guess I qualify as a late bloomer---played sax for a few years in high school and then left it for my sister when I graduated. Didn't play again for many years, then tried my hand at a summer community band that Syracuse University used to sponser. I was pretty awful! More years passed, and after taking an early retirement and moving down here to NC I started playing a LOT---I'm in a couple of community bands here and one big band.

Regrets----I have a few. (oops, sorry about that--sometimes I just start singing---used to embarrass the heck out of my kids). I have only ever played alto sax---might try to talk Davy into letting me try some of his tenors, ....and I can't double on any other instrument. Also never studied music in any formal way. My profession was far removed from music. Kept my hand in with music through playing a little piano, and pretty consistent involvement in various choral groups.

Have to confess that my first love is classical---went to symphony last evening--great concert. Unlike Merlin (I think it was), I don't object to playing orchestral transcriptions, provided we have the skill and the instrumentation to pull it off. Today we played "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral", a big, full Wagner piece which has to have given the audience a good frisson or two.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to being a part of this group, and have already spotted a few folks I know from SOTW. Haven't done anything to the profile yet----probably get to that later. Speaking of choral groups, I've got a rehearsal in a little while of my women's sextet (please, no wisecracks---I'll think I'm on SOTW).

I also type fast and thus write too much----I'll try to not do that.
Ruth

I am one of those people who woke up one day with questions, like:
Where's my saxophone?
Why don't I have a saxophone?
Why didn't I buy that bassoon after high school?
Why haven't I been playing for the past few decades?

I misplaced my embouchure somewhere, and am still looking for it. I used to have a nice one. It needed hardly any air. I could decide deep in my chest what note would come out. A local friend (AltoRuth), is encouraging me to join one of the local community bands. I think I will. I need the playing time with a group.

Great to have you on board DavyRay! Glad you wandered over to our corner of the 'Net.

I'm also glad to see another vintage sax player on the board! I was starting to worry with all that clarinet discussion going on of late, that I'd be out of work over on the sax part of the forum. ;-)

So of the 21 vintage horns you have, are they mainly tenors? Altos? Baris? Sops? All of the above?

Playing with people is the best way to improve in a number of areas... Depending of course, on the quality of the band. If the band sucks, then you might not get much out of the experience. But as a general rule, things like sight reading, tuning, phrasing, etc. improve faster when working with others in a band.

Anyways, welcome to the Woodwind Forum. I hope you enjoy your time with us. I'm looking forward to some good vintage horn discussions with you, as well as some of our other new vintage sax-playing members!

Well hey to you, DavyRay!

Looks like we joined up on the same day----but while you were signing on I was playing my little heart out at the community band concert this afternoon, where I was hoping that you just might show up.

I'm also on SOTW and with the same name. I guess I qualify as a late bloomer---played sax for a few years in high school and then left it for my sister when I graduated. Didn't play again for many years, then tried my hand at a summer community band that Syracuse University used to sponser. I was pretty awful! More years passed, and after taking an early retirement and moving down here to NC I started playing a LOT---I'm in a couple of community bands here and one big band.

Regrets----I have a few. (oops, sorry about that--sometimes I just start singing---used to embarrass the heck out of my kids). I have only ever played alto sax---might try to talk Davy into letting me try some of his tenors, ....and I can't double on any other instrument. Also never studied music in any formal way. My profession was far removed from music. Kept my hand in with music through playing a little piano, and pretty consistent involvement in various choral groups.

Have to confess that my first love is classical---went to symphony last evening--great concert. Unlike Merlin (I think it was), I don't object to playing orchestral transcriptions, provided we have the skill and the instrumentation to pull it off. Today we played "Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral", a big, full Wagner piece which has to have given the audience a good frisson or two.

Anyhow, I'm looking forward to being a part of this group, and have already spotted a few folks I know from SOTW. Haven't done anything to the profile yet----probably get to that later. Speaking of choral groups, I've got a rehearsal in a little while of my women's sextet (please, no wisecracks---I'll think I'm on SOTW).

I also type fast and thus write too much----I'll try to not do that.
Ruth

Hello Ruth. Welcome to the Woodwind Forum. Yes, there is a bunch of us here from SOTW, but we're the tame ones. :emoji_smile:

As the Mod. for the sax section of forum, I'm happy to see a number of new saxophone-playing members this week. I had been starting to feel a bit like a minority. (I know it's not true, but it just feels like it.)

Anyways, great to have you here Ruth. I hope you enjoy your time with us.

Welcome. Music not a large a world as you might think. I am continually meeting people in person that I only knew virtually. I was auditioning for a theater pit part two years ago and the fellow auditioning before me recognized me. Small world indeed.

I have a The Martin Baritone, 7 tenors (Martin, Conn, Buescher, Grassi) , 8 altos (Martin, Grassi, King, some Italian stencils), 4 c-melodies (Conn, Lyon & Healy, Holton, Martin).

My daily player is an Olds Parisian tenor (Pierret Competition or Artiste?). It has a lush lower register which rivals a Martin Handcraft for tone complexity.
The tenor on my workbench is a 1967 Conn 10M with lacquer finish. It is getting a full rebuild.

AltoRuth, I fully intended to attend the concert today. I did a "Duh" when I saw your message.
---
D.R.

Hi, I'm Willy Jamms! I'm shy but I sometimes play real loud. I've been told that I'm a different person with a sax strapped on.

I'm going to be playing in a bar this Thursday. I'll let you know how it goes!

Hey Pete!

Are you a big Broccoli fan? Are there many on the forum?

NBSP? What is it?

Last edited:
Uggh, but that's boring Merlin. Gotta remember this place isn't SoTW. Gotta remember that.

:emoji_rage: Just remember that I have the power!

I have no objection to the 7WYCSOTV, but there are some impressionable minds (and their elders) who check in here, so if in doubt, keep it clean.

Or at least couch things in euphemistic terms...

I was saying I need to remember it isn't SoTW. I know you have the power. I try to keep profanity to a minimum, but he asked, and I didn't know where the post came form, so I figured I'd pick the most common use of the acronym. I'll try to keep you happy from now on. I refer too many people to ask you questions to afford you to be mad at me.

I was saying I need to remember it isn't SoTW. I know you have the power. I try to keep profanity to a minimum, but he asked, and I didn't know where the post came form, so I figured I'd pick the most common use of the acronym. I'll try to keep you happy from now on. I refer too many people to ask you questions to afford you to be mad at me.

I'm not mad.

I get mildly annoyed from time to time...but you know what they say; excrement occurs.

Back
Top Bottom