WF New People Introductions

Welcome!

Not familiar with tejano: can you tell us something about it, and the band you played in?

Grant

Tejano / Tex Mex Music

Tejano music is the most popular music in and around Texas.Tejano music uses a variety of instruments in the Bands,from a four piece horn section to an accordion and bass guitar and rythum guitar and drums.The accordion is a spin off from the German culture which was introduced in Texas in the 1800's.
In a tejano band it is customary to incorporate a big brass sound and play also top 40 music of all varieties,Earth Wind and Fire,Tower of Power,Kenny G.and so on.You can listen to Tejano music on Bnet radio .com 24/7
I hope I have answered some of your questions.
Regards, Manny Chavez :-D

Hello all,

Another SOTW crossover member! Glad I made my way over, I see a lot of familiar faces and look forward to splitting my time between the two! I hate to admit it, but my second post might be over in the for sale area once I read up on the posting rules. You'll probably see a few more SOTW members heading this way for the same reasons!

Anyway, I think I'll do some browsing around!

Howdy, cymru97. Enjoy the party.

========

We have had to modify the rules to the "For Sale" area for the moment, because we (well, Jim and I were, at least, but probably all our Admins and CEs) were swamped with PM's and bunches of posts in that area. Please bear with us for a time while we make a few more changes. Until then, posting access to the area has been restricted. Sorry 'bout that. Please read the area's announcement.

Howdy, cymru97. Enjoy the party.

========

We have had to modify the rules to the "For Sale" area for the moment, because we (well, Jim and I were, at least, but probably all our Admins and CEs) were swamped with PM's and bunches of posts in that area. Please bear with us for a time while we make a few more changes. Until then, posting access to the area has been restricted. Sorry 'bout that. Please read the area's announcement.

Thanks Pete, I will!

No problem on the 'for sale' section, it's a wise move to preempt any misunderstandings between selling rules in various forums.

Yep,

I'm here from the other forum too. Everything looks strangely familiar, but different. I wonder if Spock has a beard on this forum? ;-)

Yep,

I'm here from the other forum too. Everything looks strangely familiar, but different. I wonder if Spock has a beard on this forum? ;-)
I don't look good with a beard, unlike Spock.

SOTW runs a version of vBulletin. That's the software that runs this forum. 'Course, considering we look at all woodwinds, it does look a little different :D.

Nice to have you visit! Enjoy your stay!

I had to change the forum skin color so I wouldn't get confused.

I had to change the forum skin color so I wouldn't get confused.

Oh I see.

It's the alternate reality version of Hak that has the beard here. I wonder if Bandmommy is the one wearing the open mid-drift mini-skirt with the black go-go boots? :cool:

Hi all.
I registered quite a bot of time ago but I seem more committed now to hang around regularly here as in the other forum I am getting disappointed by excess of nanny policies. I am an extreme liberal (but not anarchist) and cannot live well with too much patrolling.
I also hope that here politics are not banned like the pest but, admittedly, I have not yet checked what the policy is at this regard.

I am a passionate hobbyst and essentially a lousy player. I am an executive consultant for a very large IT firm in Canada and also a university instructor. My spare time is indeed short. I try to devote a good chunck of it to saxophones (tenor only, as all the other ones do not even tempt me a bit). I presently have 5, 3 vintage and 2 modern taiwanese.

Last edited:
Hi all.
I also hope that here politics are not banned like the pest but, admittedly, I have not yet checked what the policy is at this regard.

No, no, no...please, no politics. Too many good people left SOTW because of stupid political banter.

The election is over. Let's play music

rispoli said:
I also hope that here politics are not banned
No, no, no...please, no politics. Too many good people left SOTW because of stupid political banter.

The election is over. Let's play music
As mentioned in the Rules forum (you can specifically look at the "Hot Topics" thread), any non-woodwind threads may be deleted at the whim of your admins/CEs.

This is a woodwind forum. While Ed has a degree in poli-sci and I did fairly well in my Marxist Thought classes in college (and yes, I did have to read The Black Flag of Anarchy for a paper), there are many other places where you can express political views.

Or, if you prefer, needlepoint. There are a lot of needlepoint forums out there ....

[sarcasm=on] There was an election? I didn't hear about an election. There was, like, no media coverage at all and I didn't see a single commercial, billboard or campaign sign. [/sarcasm]

:p

Hello my name is Jeremy and I am a bona-fide repair tech in sunny San Diego. I worked for a short time with Jeff at Horn Improvement and then moved to Bertrand's music which was 2 hours closer to home. Recently Bertrand's actually purchased HI so I am part of them again. I can do all winds but I am mainly a WW tech.

I am a bari sax player but now only play tenor. I love vintage horns. I just found this forum and will try to post here more than I do on SOTW.

Hi there Jeremy. Welcome to the WF! Yes...Another vintage bari & tenor player & vintage horn lover! I'm happy. Our numbers are climbing! :-D

Hope you enjoy your time your time with us. You'll find we're quite laid back here.

Last edited:
I am here because I am no longer there. I changed username too, because I am hoping there here will be different from there.

I started late on the sax and have been struggling all along with finding time for practicing and playing, because I have a career that requires +70 hours/week. So I am an AmAteur, with capital 'A" (just in case you missed it). Please don't use the word "h...." or you will have Leon from "The Professional" show up at your doorstep. I can safely testify to having a passion (that is the right word) for music and for saxophones, the latter to an extent that is unhealthy. My ambition is to be a competent saxophonist the day I retire, and my hope is to be fortunate enough to be reasonably healthy and make up for lost time with my horns.

Last edited:
Jumped over here when SOTW was having all of its issues. Also figured that it's a great resource for other woodwinds that SOTW might not be able to discuss. Plus, Mike and I can discuss our piping fetishes more openly here. I love doubling and musicals, and Merlin seems to be more active here, so I'm going to pick his brain here, because I'm a fan.

Back
Top Bottom