WF New People Introductions

New to Forum

Hi Everyone!
I am an alto sax player since 2002...middle age who now has time to play and learn more. (Yamaha YAS-23)
I love smooth jazz, fusion, funk. especially Dave Koz, Boney James, Eric Marienthal and many others.
I am looking locally in CT for a music theory class to learn the basics, ear training, changing up keys etc....all the local options (Community College music courses, continuing education programs) either don't offer this or are not at convenient times thus far...I really want to meet others who play and learn from their ideas, so an on-line course isn't what I prefer....

I am glad to have found this forum to get ideas and network.

MaryS

Hi Everyone,

I'm a woodwind player from Philadelphia, PA. I'm 28, have a Bachelor in Music Performance (Jazz Saxophone) from the University of the Arts in Philadephia. I have performed aboard cruise ships since my graduation in 2005. I have also played musicals on the Eastern and Western seaboards.

Favorite shows I've played: Wild Party, Chicago, Urinetown
Favorite classical composers: Stravinsky, Debussy, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky
Favorite Jazz albums: We Want Miles, Return to Forever, Heavy Weather
Current Instruments Owned: Alto Sax, Flute, Piccolo, Clarinet, Bansuri Flute
Show I want to play: Wicked
What I'm working on now: Starting Double Reeds (oboe)
Sound clips: Http://www.youtube.com/user/DrewSorensenMusic

Hi Everyone,

I'm a woodwind player from Philadelphia, PA. I'm 28, have a Bachelor in Music Performance (Jazz Saxophone) from the University of the Arts in Philadephia. I have performed aboard cruise ships since my graduation in 2005. I have also played musicals on the Eastern and Western seaboards.

Favorite shows I've played: Wild Party, Chicago, Urinetown
Favorite classical composers: Stravinsky, Debussy, Mussorgsky, Tchaikovsky
Favorite Jazz albums: We Want Miles, Return to Forever, Heavy Weather
Current Instruments Owned: Alto Sax, Flute, Piccolo, Clarinet, Bansuri Flute
Show I want to play: Wicked
What I'm working on now: Starting Double Reeds (oboe)
Sound clips: Http://www.youtube.com/user/DrewSorensenMusic

Nice Drew! I always liked that Karg-Elert stuff.

Hi from London,

I've lurked on this forum a few times, but finally registered yesterday.

I'm a devoted amateur jazzer, playing all saxes but mainly, you guessed it, baritone, although soprano comes a close second. I play in a couple of big bands, and a couple of smaller groups. I've been playing sax for 30 years, on and off.

Although I've owned a clarinet for 20 years ( I now own a few of them) I didn't make very much progress with it until a couple of years ago, when I began to practise it much more consistently. Having tremendous fun with the misery stick - more than I ever thought I would - and am working towards the ultimate goal of attaining 10% of the phrasing and fluency of Buddy de Franco!

Bill

intro

HI & thanks to the mods for activation.
I'm Charlie Rutan (dotcom),
have been a professional musician for 15+ years,
and currently play 4 different types of pipes-

Scottish Highland: (we all know what these are, yes? no need for a link then!)

Irish Uilleann:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1HRewtAQNc
(just a little snip there....)

Italian Zampogna:
(3 sizes- hiG moderna, Calabrian D, and bass 'Sei Palmi', which is 5 feet tall)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xx40IGe-K-E

and French Musette Bechonnet,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ru4H73eM20

Recently have begun again to do some English horn, Tin whistle, and Clarinet.
My WW /musical history;s a bit too long to get into here,
but Ive played mostly all the standard ww's; plus a lot of Euro bagpipes, got music degrees, member of ascap, yadda yadda yadda etc.

SO
Looks like you now have a real live honest-to-goodness full-time bagpiper on your boards. :)

Hello everyone, I'm a complete newbie, although I did learn to play the cornet 30+ years ago in primary school but due to distance to my school and my parents jobs I was unable to continue with my lessons.
For as long as I can remember I've had a love affair with the sound of the saxophone and have finally reached a point in my life that I feel I can commit to fulfilling a life long ambition.

I've found a local saxophone teacher and am in the process of releasing some funds threw the sale of a motorbike that I no longer use to purchase a sax.
Although at this point I am uncertain as to which to elect for (Alto or Tennor), but after speaking to the perspective new teacher and some esteemed establishments ie- Sax.co.UK, I'm swaying towards the Yamaha yaz62 (Alto)but at this early stage and lack of knowledge im open to suggestions and welcome them!.

So there you have it, I'm now going to spend many hours researching in a bid to prepare myself for what lies ahead.
I know it's going to be an uphill struggle as I'm certainly no mathematician and can only hope that somewhere locked away in the back of the old gray matter is some memory of how to read music.

Rgds Lee.

For as long as I can remember I've had a love affair with the sound of the saxophone and have finally reached a point in my life that I feel I can commit to fulfilling a life long ambition.

Good for you, and welcome, Lee, back to music, and here to the WooF!

You'll find your way back to written score in no time, it's like bicycling: once you got the hang of it you'll never really forget it.

Per the rest - good luck, and congrats for finding a teacher - maybe he or she has some connection to someone who has a good student instrument for sale (if you don't mind the "used" route). Else - you can't really go wrong with a Yamaha.

Thankyou for the welcome.
Tictactux - thats interesting that the Tennor is easier which may make my learning a little easier.
as Ive said my knowledge is limited but I didnt think there would be a great deal of difference between the two? apart from the sound obviously.

so this is intriguing me all the more! but in fear of clogging this thread im going to go ask these questions in the Sax section.
thanks for your comments so far.

Lee.

Incidentally, i *love* the staff notation smileys. How handy is that !
:TrebleClef::Space2::Space2::Line3::Space3::Space2::Space3::Space4: :)
You're welcome.

I initially took them from a trombone forum, years ago, edited a couple and added them to Sax-on-the-Web's forum. I've always liked them, so I added them here when I set up this forum.

I've often thought about extending the range, but I've not had enough any people ask for that. (I'm also one of the few that like using the strikethrough BBcode.)

Hello From SoCal!

I am new to woodwinds, but not to music. I have been playing bass and guitar for most of my life. As a late bloomer, I decided to finally get into woodwinds. My mother and father are both musicians, and my father was a clarinet player.

While surfing eBay for guitar gear, I came across many interesting woodwinds, for very reasonable prices. I did a bit of research and decided not to go with the attractive, yet questionably made cheap imports. I found a decent looking Buescher Aristocrat Alto Clarinet and decided to go for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/23081120716...NX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Though it is mislabeled a "Flute", I was able to research it and find that it is likely a Selmer stencil. Might need some work, but at the price I paid, will deffinatly be a better choice than an new student clarinet.

I then found a C-Melody Conn that looked decent, I think I got a pretty nice deal for a fixer. And I am particularly interested in the C-Melody sax, so I think I am getting a proper place to start

http://www.ebay.com/itm/22104819808...X:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649#ht_5534wt_1163

I will probably seek professional help for repairs, but I am a pretty good luthier (Amatuer), I might be able to do some of the work myself with help from : http://musicmedic.com/info/articles.html . Lot's of good info there, but I think that Conn needs a professional.

Great to be here, and thank you for the help I have already gotten by reading through the site while choosing my instruments.

Back
Top Bottom