WF New People Introductions

Hi all,

For those of you that don't know me, I'm Chris S. I don't play so much as I used (am about 6 hours shy of a degree in composition - probably won't ever finish that). I'll mostly be a lurker around here, chime in when I can. I have been paid cash monies to play the following: Saxophone (all four major varietals), clarinet, flute, bassoon, piano, organ, accordian, guitar, bass, and concert percussion (made my debut on some David Gillingham piece. Name escapes me at the moment, but I played some mean logs).

I know Pete, Ed, Gandalfe, and probably a goodly amount of you from my work over at Sax on the Web. I've kind of taken over what Pete used to do there, do a lot of the back end stuffs.

Great to see you all here, hope there's some great conversations coming down the pipes.

Hi, Chris! Nice to see you! Take a look around. Don't mind the mess; we're still tweaking some areas.

Hey Everyone!

I am new to this forum, but what a forum!!! I'm so happy I came across all you awesome people!

My name is Sarah.

I am an aspiring professional doubler currently in 2nd year at Humber College in Toronto in their Contemporary Music Degree Program. Unlike the majority of saxophone players at Humber, I LOVE doubling and will jump into it absolutely every chance I get.

I play as many pits as I can - currently at the community musical theatre level.

At school I play lead flute/pic in doubling choir (I played bass clarinet last semester), Tenor/clarinet/pic in Mark Promane's Big Band, Bari in Steve Crow's Reading Big band, Flute/tenor in Alex Dean's Jazz Workshop and I play alto/tenor/bari in masterclass.

I'm studying sax/doubles privately with Mark Promane currently... Best teacher EVER - I can't even describe the total change in my playing that has occurred with his help --- NIGHT AND DAY... and I'm just starting lessons on doubles with Andy Ballentyne (so I can focus on just sax with Mark) ... Both of those guys are AMAZING musicians.

Luckily I have had several amazing opportunities to hang in a professional pit and listen and observe (Wicked, The Drowsy Chaperone, and White Christmas -- I was was there I think for the evening show the day you subbed in, Merlin) All of you woodwind guys are a riot.

I LOVE musicals more than I could ever articulate ... (I performed in my first musical when I was 4 and it just progressed from there)

Anyways ... Enough about me!

It's good to meet more fellow woodwind enthusiasts! I can't wait to talk shop with everyone! ;)

Indeed, welcome Sarah.

I envy true doublers who play more than one instrument well enough that the casual listener would be hard-pressed to identify the player's primary instrument. In procuring instruments for your stable, I always recommend you get the best you can afford and then stay pat--not that I followed that advice. But I could have saved a lot of money by *not* trying to save money with some of first purchases, if you get my drift. :ugeek:

Thanks for the warm welcome guys!

I hear you on the get good instruments argument. Mind you I'm too picky not too LOL! That and you have enough frustrations learning a new instrument without adding mechanical problems!!

WoodwindDoubler said:
Hey Everyone!

At school I play lead flute/pic in doubling choir (I played bass clarinet last semester), Tenor/clarinet/pic in Mark Promane's Big Band, Bari in Steve Crow's Reading Big band, Flute/tenor in Alex Dean's Jazz Workshop and I play alto/tenor/bari in masterclass.

I'm studying sax/doubles privately with Mark Promane currently... Best teacher EVER - I can't even describe the total change in my playing that has occurred with his help --- NIGHT AND DAY... and I'm just starting lessons on doubles with Andy Ballentyne (so I can focus on just sax with Mark) ... Both of those guys are AMAZING musicians.

Luckily I have had several amazing opportunities to hang in a professional pit and listen and observe (Wicked, The Drowsy Chaperone, and White Christmas -- I was was there I think for the evening show the day you subbed in, Merlin) All of you woodwind guys are a riot.

I LOVE musicals more than I could ever articulate ... (I performed in my first musical when I was 4 and it just progressed from there)

You've good a good bunch of guys to study with there Sarah. Mark, Andy, Steve and I were all fellow students at Humber in the early eighties. Alex and I have played together a bunch too, though he's got a few years on me.

Did you catch the concert with Dave Grusin back in October? I was on that. My avatar here is from a concert I did there with Mendoza about 3 or 4 years ago.

Were you at WC when I was subbing for Peter, or when I played Andy's book?

Drop me a PM - I'm just down the street from Humber (right on the 501 line) and if you want to play some duets, I'm up for it.

hi everyone, my name is andrea.
I am italian but I live in sweden, I play saxophones and clarinets (see list below) and I am studio engineer.

I own soprano, alto and tenor sax, Bb clarinet (one metal as well) and bass clarinet.

maybe I’ll get a longer list next week, with an alto clarinet...

check me out here, at

http://www.myspace.com/zagor76

thank you guys, I feel so stupid... why did it take so long time to find this forum?

well, the baby sounds are recorded when my oldest son was 3 months old... that tune actually has been played quite a lot in swedish radio.
did some of you listened to the clarinet quartet "Rumba"?

Gandalfe said:
Oh yeah baby! It's hot. Your arrangement? I'd luv to try to play that. :cool:

well, I wish!
it’s my clarinet teacher’s music... I think I can ask him if I can send you the arrangement. but it’s quite difficult, he’s not directly an internet guy, no mobile and he’s so shy. and he lives in italy!

Back
Top Bottom