WF New People Introductions

Greetings from the Southern Oregon Coast

Just joined here and figured I'd better start in this thread. I'm officially "old" now (65) and have been playing since 1956. I started on tuba, added trumpet on the side a couple of years later, then trombone a couple of years after that, and kept on branching out all over the place. Tuba remained my primary instrument until a few years into college when I switched to bass trombone, but by that time I had added clarinet to my "stable" of instruments. Also during my college years flute, saxophone, and recorders became part of the mix and then later on oboe and bassoon. Most of my woodwind performing is on oboe and recorders. I'm in my seventh season as principal oboe with the Curry/Del Norte Orchestra and played oboe with the Memphis Civic Orchestra (2½ seasons as principal oboe - 1987-1990) and several community bands. I still play the Loree I started on in 1986.

Wecome Norm and wow! I better you have a lot of stories to tell. :cool:

Thanks! Might even be able to come up with a few fish stories!

Musically, it's been a fun ride over the years. Had some good opportunities, played with some great performers, filled in some holes in instrumentation. I've gotten to the point where I can screw up any piece of music in any key at any tempo on any instrument in any clef under any director at any time of the day or night.

I see you're from Seattle. Have a son (fine French horn player) who lives in Federal Way.

Sure, after you send me a ticket to visit you in OR :p.

Now, over in The Trombone Forum in the Bunker we have a bar. Nobody has to travel anywhere. Guess one of the Admins needs to install one here too.

That brings up an interesting point, Norm.

Gandalfe, Ed and I were all admins or moderators at a website called "Sax on the Web" -- SOTW, for short. We had a "lounge" area there that was devoted to mostly non-saxophone discussion. That was generally the section that required the most moderation.

Now, the Woodwind Forum (WF or WooF, for short) has a different mix of members than does SOTW. However, all three of your admins really don't want to devote all their time to moderating: we'd rather post or do something else music-related.

We do have a general discussion area, where we have some off-topic-ness. We're generally mellow.

My drink of choice is generally Coke in glass bottles. At least, out here in AZ. For points more northern, Pepsi suits. Hey, there is a difference. Really!

In the Bunker at TTF we get into friendly discussions about all sorts of things and even though some moderators are frequent posters there, it's extremely rare that one has to deal with a problem. We include a virtual "bar" and people offer to pick up the tab for everybody's drinks (or offer someone else to do it) - especially if someone has achieved some special accomplishment, has a spouse or kid or even grandkid who has - and just have fun. It's light, friendly, and enjoyable. There are other areas - particularly in the political and religion areas - where things get much more testy and I don't go there. I'm there - and here - to meet new friends, learn from them, share with them, and enjoy myself. And hopefully in the process make the forums better places.

Howdy!

(I lived in Texas for 7 years; I can say "Howdy".)

Enjoy the forum. My friend with the poo fixation has been confined to a different forum. Don't worry about him. However, some of us do have young kidlets so, the conversations about poo might become inevitable.

We'll try to moderate ourselves :).

Oh. I'd like to see some conversation about penny whistle. Just because. We're talkin' 'bout the same kind Jean-Luc Picard used on Star Trek, right? (OK, OK, less geeky: "We're talking about the instrument used to beautiful effect on such things as The Wexford Carol?" I have that on a recording for soprano {voice}, whistle and harp. REALLY nice.)

Well, "Howdy" right back! (I lived in TX for seven years too any our first child was born in Nacogdoches while I was a grad student at Stephen F. Austin State University.)

You mean that penny whistle thing that James Galway plays?

My drink of choice is generally Coke in glass bottles. At least, out here in AZ. For points more northern, Pepsi suits. Hey, there is a difference. Really!

I know! In fact, there are differences even within the brands. When I was a grad student at SFASU in Nacogdoches, TX, there was a Coke bottling plant right there in town. There was another one twenty miles away in Lufkin, TX. There was a world of difference between the tastes of the Nacogdoches Coke and the Lufkin Coke! I had a friend who worked in the Lufkin plant and I asked him once why they tasted so different. He said it was the water. They came from different sources and that made them taste different.

I know! In fact, there are differences even within the brands. When I was a grad student at SFASU in Nacogdoches, TX, there was a Coke bottling plant right there in town. There was another one twenty miles away in Lufkin, TX. There was a world of difference between the tastes of the Nacogdoches Coke and the Lufkin Coke! I had a friend who worked in the Lufkin plant and I asked him once why they tasted so different. He said it was the water. They came from different sources and that made them taste different.

That's odd but it could have been the sugar source. I usually buy mexican sodas which use sugar (which includes Mex made Coke, etc). American sodas use corn syrup.

I normally just buy Jarritos around here though :)

Howdy, all. I'm a clarinetist and HS band director by training. Just to show how these things go, Bb is out the window due to hand problems (I'm playing bass and contra nowadays), and burned out on teaching school so now I just direct a community band. I'm also training in the Ninja art of instrument repair, and trying to learn some more about saxes to help with that. To all sax players: you people are nuts. Could we just have the maker of the horn and where it was made written on the thing? Is that too much to ask??

Hmm. I played bari sax and contrabass clarinet. Does that make me more nuts or less nuts? (And we have people here that play contrabass sax and contrabass clarinet.)

I suppose I should clarify: we is all kind of nuts, each of us just in our own special way.

Oregon greetings

Hello everyone - my name is Dave and I live in the Portland, OR area. I am 58 and am primarily a flute player (Miyazawa's with Drelinger and Howell Roberts headjoints, Gemeinhardt Alto flute) but have recently (2.5 years)started working on saxes as well (1959 Buescher Super 400 tenor with Warburton Link STM NY mpc, 1957 Buescher 141 alto with modern Link STM, Couf Superba 2 soprano with either Yani metal or Selmer Super Session mpc).

I actually started on tonette in 4th grade and then played trumpet through high school but switched my focus to flute in 1970. Other than school band I am self taught.

I have played with a co-worker for the past 12 years (flute/guitar brazilian influenced material) and we have a cd available from cdbaby under the name Voxanova. I also have one of my original tunes on reverbnation under the name David Griffith if anyone is interested. I have been laid off for over a year, which has actually been a good thing as far as practice time goes - the chops are starting to come together on the saxes to the point where I am playing with a couple of jazz pickup groups as the opportunities present themselves. It's great to be playing again although I still have a long way to go, especially when it comes to reading and theory. Too many years of playing by ear is hard to overcome
icon11.gif

I have been addicted to SOTW for several years and am now looking forward to learning from this site as well - many familiar 'faces' here. Thanks to all for sharing your wisdom - maybe I can add some value over time as well.

HAY GUISE!

My name is Matt Stohrer and I am a repairman residing in the wilds of Raleigh, NC. Previous to this and my desire for a yard I was saxophone specializing in Brooklyn, NY. I learned my trade on 48th St. in Manhattan working for Sam Ash Music, whom I also work for here in Raleigh.

My websites are:
www.stohrermusic.com (in awful shape now, reaaaallly need to update it)
www.mattstohrer.com (trying out the whole blogging thing)

My facebook is www.facebook.com/mstohrer

I have been on SOTW for a while, with the same member name.

Besides repair (particularly saxophone, particularly vintage) I am interested in working on my old diesel cars (a 1983 benz probably destined for the scrap heap and a 1979 VW rabbit that looks awesome in yellow), building things, DIY, technology.

Oh, and this:
3347071779_de14e90296.jpg

Interesting factoids about me:

-been in a Viet Cong tunnel in Vietnam while visiting a sax factory
-worked in Bermuda for a month fixing instruments for the Ministry of Education and had to carry around a letter that said "On Her Majesty's Service", which was super awesome because my favorite James Bond movie is On Her Majesty's Secret Service
-worked in Times Square for 5 years- oy vey
-almost exactly one year ago today was in an actual TV commercial, got an invitation to join SAG and everything
-wants to be one of those old guys who can whistle super well, and all the kids in the neighborhood will be like "omg! there goes Whistlestorm!" when they see me roll by in my 47hp diesel VW

I look forward to hanging out with the cool kids here on Woodwind Forum!!

Back
Top Bottom