WF New People Introductions

New member playing bass clarinet

Hi all. Just came across this forum after doing a Google search for bass clarinet.

I played bass clarinet in high school, and being a part of a band helped me to stay in school and graduate. I just bought a used bass clarinet, and will be playing again after many, many years of not playing at all. So I'll have a lot of catching up to do. I will be playing in a group called Marion County Citizens Band, or MCCB for short. It is a community band, and they just want to make music every Monday night.

I enjoy family life, as well as riding a scooter (250cc). Returning to music is very exciting for me.

I look forward to reading the forum,
Melody

Welcome Melody. It's a common story, one where a musician strays from music only to fall in love with it again later. I took a 28 year break from music, well, because of work, family, and other pressing needs. When I returned to the world of performance music, like you by joining a community band, I was once again in my favorite place. My wife joined me later that year and it's been a wonderful 11 years of learning, with performances in theater pits, community bands, jazz ensembles, sax x-tets, and now my 10 year old jazz orchestra. You will find a lot of like minded people here.

Last edited:
hi Melody,
bass player here as well. Began playing clarinet at the tender age of 41 (after the mandatory soprano recorder years back in elementary school), working myself down to bass which I am playing in a concert band and subbing in two others. Band/Orchestra is fun and I wouldn't know where I'd be today without all the new friends I made there. Definitely a step up from work-related companionship.

Hi there,
I'm new to this forum. Just started learning bass clarinet. I love the tone and versatility of this instrument. I hope I can grow learning a lot along being in touch with the members in this forum to share ideas. Feels great to be part of this common interest crowd. A cyber family :)

We are always glad to welcome newcomers to the bass clarinet family. Remember, before he started fooling around with metal instruments, Sax first devoted his skills and aspirations to the perfection of the world's most desirable instrument.

My one favorite bit of advice to a new or returning bass player, based upon over fifty five years of manipulating bass clarinets of one style or another (along with about fifteen years of teaching in the bargain), is to have your instrument looked over by a technician once you have it in your hands. More frustration results from playing un (or poorly) regulated bass clarinets with microscopic leaks from pads on the lower joint than from any other issue with the instrument.

The lower joint on basses played off of pegs tends to take much more abuse than anything else on the horn. The saucer-like lower pad cups are exposed to contact with chair edges as well as the human leg, and it only takes a slight bump to cause a tiny little leak around one pad edge to start the process going. The leak acts as a unplanned "register vent" when you attempt to ascend above the break, and you find yourself playing notes that have never been heard before.

Once you do get the horn carefully regulated, guard it like the crown jewels. Don't let others borrow it - this is hard in a school situation where you might be playing a shared instrument, but as an adult you are much more likely to have your own instrument. Watch out when you set it down across the case when putting it away.

My second bit of advice is to worry less about mouthpieces at first (particularly as they are much more expensive for the bass), and more about the reeds that you use. There is a tendency for players to want to use harder reeds (3 and 3.5) on all clarinets, but I have learned over the years that you get a richer tone and better overall response by sticking to something in the 2.5 range.

(I've even moved to a pretty extreme mouthpiece (a Selmer G lay) in order to play out in a modern ensemble situation. Most won't want to go that far (if for no other reason than the mouthpiece expense involved) but it is one solution open to you.)

My third bit is to avoid the neckstrap if at all possible and play the instrument exclusively from a peg. For some players, there is no good way to get the neckstrap/peg combination to work right.

The last piece that I'll offer up is to look into a neck or neck pipe that will allow you to play with a more "clarinet-like" mouthpiece angle. The "tenor saxophone" angle bass clarinet necks force players to either angle the instrument in the mouth, or to adopt a very "unclarinet-like" embouchure. Charlie Bay and others (plus one of the manufacturers) offer a neck that gives you this advantage.

Oops - one more thing:

I would avoid like the plague any of the older Leblanc professional model horns, and stick with the traditional "linked register vent" instruments from Selmer and Buffet. These are the horns with the long, exposed rod on the back of the instrument that runs from the lower joint to the upper. This style of instrument has the two vent opening properly situated for the easy transitions from Bb to E in the clarinet register of the instrument.

It may be that you are stuck with the horn that you've got, and that it is most likely a student instrument with the "all on the upper joint" register mechanism. If so, you will just have to make do. But, if you are choosing a horn, try to go with one with the long rod on the back.

I have an old Pedler (wooden 2piece restored, smelly, but better after 1+ year on the stand) I acquired 2 of Grabner's older pieces in a trade with a SOTW member. I love the BC and don't play it as often as I would like to, but when I switched to a 3.5 Fibracell I found that the upper register came alive with no noticeable loss in the lower register. I've been using a Grabner modified Selmer piece. I do find that the peg on my Pedler is too short. From Grabners web site: " Resist the temptation to play on too soft of a reed. With a soft reed you can get a big sound in the low register, but sacrifice control in the clarion and above. If you use a 3 1/2 reed on the soprano clarinet, use a 3/12 on the bass. I currently use, and recommend Grand Concert #4 reeds".

Hi. I'm a new member from England. Trained in trombone & composition. I play all sizes of trombone, flugabone, tuba, Akai EWI4000S & various keyboards. Spent part of the 80's in a military band but now teach music in a secondary school. Still like to play at weekends.

I started playing reed instruments just a little while ago with baritone and tenor saxes. I have most recently bought an old Leblanc 'paper clip' Eb Contra clarinet & stumbled across this forum looking for information about it.

Pics and a serial number go a long way in helping us help you.

Oy, I'm a saxophonist, bassoonist, tubist, and a piper. The pipes were last, so I'll never be REALLY good, but I make more money piping than anything. Unique instrument! No dynamics, no attacks, no embouchure, 9 notes, everything's slurred, and you have 4 notes to tune just to be in tune with yourself! But I love it!

Oy, I'm.... a piper. The pipes were last, so I'll never be REALLY good, but I make more money piping than anything. Unique instrument! No dynamics, no attacks, no embouchure, 9 notes, everything's slurred, and you have 4 notes to tune just to be in tune with yourself! But I love it!
welcome to the forum! I call my pipes the worlds stupidest clarinet section: 1st & 2nd can only play one note, forte, and the bass plays an octave below also forte, & all three let the oboe have the melody (well, I guess theres *some* intelligence in that... ;) )
Ive played Highland pipes for oh, about 25 years, also play Uilleann, Italian & French pipes. How long have you been on your pipes? Who made your pipes? I;m currently using 1990 Hardies, an unknown (1950s?) Canadian set, and what I believe to be ( 1920?) Hutcheons; with Strathmore, Atherton, Hardie, MacLellan & MacCallum chanters.

New Member From Canada!

Hi there!

My name is Becky Carovillano, one half of Acclarion, a classical accordion and clarinet duo from Canada. We've just done a major overhaul of our website as we prepare for our third CD release. We invite you to check out our music and let us know what you think!

Thanks,
Becky
www.acclarion.ca[video=youtube_share;aV3T15hLzQc]http://youtu.be/aV3T15hLzQc[/video]

Welcome Becky. I thoroughly enjoyed your video presentation. I especially liked the parts where you performed for young children showing them that music can be fun and exciting. You are both amazing players who have taken ensemble playing to its highest level. Thanks for sharing your group with us on WWF.

hey, that's a great act!! Looks like you's are having a blast up there!
Immediately this picture came to my mind:
cpbechonnet.jpg

Its a clarinet/Bechonnet duo, from an early 1900''s postcard. Bechonnet is a type of French Bagpipe & yeah, they were puttin pipers on postacrds even back then... Accordions are like, the arch-nemesis of obscure european bagpipes, but NICE playing the both of you, best of luck w/ your act & welcome to the forum :)

Thanks! If I'd had the opportunity I probably would have attempted to learn the bagpipes too. :) Very cool picture. I love vintage photos of unusual instruments.

The newest of the new says hello.

Hello from San Antonio, Texas. I am NFG and I am the NFG. Those of you that have been in the military will understand. My story is long and convoluted and frankly not all that interesting, but here I am. It can all be explained by my impulse buying mania, and yes it IS a mania with me. I now own seven or eight harmonicas of different keys, sizes and forms. The good news is that I can play them. Without going into a long ditribe suffice it to say that I have a new (to me) flute on the way. Besides the flute, not yet received, I also have aquired an alto recorder, a soprano recorder, a feadog (Irish whistle) and a twelve hole ocarina and I don't have a clue as to how to play any of them. This is going to be interesting to say the least.

Bagpipes are NOT musical instruments. They are manifestations of the Satanic demon Malmelodious. Malmelodious has possesed several people throughout the ages. The existance of bagpipes, the crumhorn, the saxaphone and the banjo are proof of this.

Well then I guess I'll be partying down in hell with my sax, crumhorn & my husband's accordion. I'm sure Malmelodious pays well. ;)

Back
Top Bottom