What kind of Clarinet

Hi All,

I just joined this group and a few others and I am excited about starting the clarinet again. I was a very good clarinetist back in the late 60’s. I went to the High School of Performing Arts and then I was in the Army Band playing Clarinet and Sax (tenor) and later on the Electric Bass. Once I left the service I got married to a lady trumpet player I knew at Performing Arts.

We both stopped playing. Back in the 70’s I went back into music learning keyboards so I can write and have been doing that on and off since then. I write a lot of songs and have a few jingles running (well I know of one, make that two that are still running).

Recently I convinced my wife to start playing her trumpet again and she loves it. She suggested I get a clarinet. I do have a Yamaha WX5 and the VL70-M Modeling synth but she wants me to have a real one to play duets with her and perhaps play in an ensemble or orchestral band locally.
So, my question to you is what is the cheapest I can get away with to get a decent Clarinet? I always had a Buffett (had to sell it and my Mark 6 Tenor to pay the mortgage in the 70’s) but I know I cannot afford one now. So any suggestions? I want to keep it under $500.00 if I can.

Thanks,
Steve Lewis

Steve: Welcome to the site.

I fear any response will be very subjective, but MY advice would be to buy the best WOODEN clarinet you can find; stick to Bb soprano, stick to Boehm System; make sure the horn is defect-free (meaning it seals, etc.), and make sure you select a top-notch mouthpiece for it.

Brands I'd consider would be Buffet (that's what I usually play), Yamaha, LeBlanc, Selmer, and a few others (like Patricola - I played some very nice ones at last year's NAMM Show).

Used will be your best bet at getting close to your financial goal, but believe me, the more you spend, the better off you will be (within reason, of course - yes, you'll hear stories of someone getting a great Buffet for $450, etc., etc.) - meaning, buy quality, not price.

Search the site for other brands (like Vito, and some others that escape my memory). DAVE

With your budget I recommend the Leblanc Bliss at Kessler Music. If you don't live in Nevada you will get a brand new state of the art instrument for around $550 and with no shipping or tax charge.

I've bought many instruments from Dave and his dad Chuck Kessler and the instruments always come tweaked out to the max.

gtonehole_small.jpg
thumb_small.jpg
logo_small.jpg
incase_small.jpg

Last edited:
If you want to play in an orchestra, you will need both a Bb and an A clarinet. There was a pair of nice instruments for sale on SOTW, by Dixiesax I believe, which looked like an incredible bargain for somebody in the market for a pair.

Here is the link.

Last edited:
You have some options in that price range. Personally I like the older professional Leblancs. They are as good as Buffets, usually with better intonation, and generally cost less because they don't have the Buffet reputation. A LL will probably run you more than $500, but a nice Symphonie (or Symphonie Model, Symphonie II or Symphonie 3), a Classic (or Classic II) would be a good professional level horn for around $4-500. If possible, play before you buy, a lot of older clarinets have seen more than their share of abuse, and a few were runts to begin with.

More on What Kind of Clarinet

Hi All,

Thanks for the input. Now I'm really confused. Just kidding. One of the things I realized with the few Clarinets I had as a teenager/early adult was the quality of the sound and the action of the keys. The beginner Clarinets then were noticeably inferior back then. Is that the case now? I loved my Buffet and the sound it gave me. I do not need a Clarinet for it's name. If I can get the action and the quality of sound I don't care what it is made of. I have played plastic Clarinets in the 60's when I was in the Army Band and the action and sound of them were awful.

I guess I need to get to a place and try out some eh? Where the heck do you do that now? When I was young I went to 48th. Street. I guess I have to go back there again.

Thanks,
Steve

Steve: I agree with your theory behind comment about not caring from what the horn is made as long as it sounds good. I have an old Silver King clarinet (rated as maybe the best of the metal clarinets) and whaddayaknow? It sounds like a clarinet!!

Last week while I was at Scimonetti's shop waiting for the tech to strengthen a spring on my Buffet, I noodled on three new student-level clarinets that were on display (plastic and some other unknown material). They played decently enough (for my needs). But, I'm spoiled when it comes to good gear and I would not buy something like that when I already have good instruments. Even if they may sound decent enough, a well-set up wooden clarinet will be MUCH better than the cheapies.

I guess it is all a matter of taste. If it were me, I'd buy the best i could and not settle for anything less. I see you live in NJ - doesn't USA Horns sell clarinets? Also, there probably are still shops in Manhattan but it has been at least ten years since I've done that place. DAVE

If you want to play in an orchestra, you will need both a Bb and an A clarinet.

I dunno about that. I've owned a pair since I was in high school, but even when I was doing some relatively heavy orchestra work, I would say that the A only came out of the box about 15% to 20% of the time. And, all the while, I played alongside of many very capable players who transposed everything on the Bb horn in these orchestras, just as I had to do on those rare occasions when an A bass clarinet part came up in the rotation.

While most folks who are "serious" about their classical music on the clarinet will own a pair, those who are only pointed towards pop and concert band work will get along just fine without one.

And don't get me started on bass clarinets pitched in A...

Found one clarinet in my basement

Hi All,

Well I found a clarinet. I would not use it but I thought you'd be interested. 20 or more years ago I got a Three Star Metal Clarinet at an antique store and by golly it is still in my basement. It is in bad bad shape. I did some preliminary lookup on it and they are still around in the marketplace.

The one I have is totally useless. It needs new pads, springs and some banging out and polishing. But even if I put that money into it I'm sure it will not have the sound I want. Just thought you'd be interested.

If you want I can post a picture of it. I'm still up in the air on what to buy. I know what I'd like to buy (only for looks. I don't know how they play). I love the look of the Patricola Rosewood Clarinet. And even if it great I can't afford it.

Steve

I'm a big fan of the "mahogany" Conn clarinets that were made during WWII. VERY pretty horns. I've heard too many reports that they're not good players, tho.

"Looks" are highly subjective and mean absolutely nothing to how your clarinet sounds.

You've got a very good budget, if you don't mind used. I'm a fan of the Yamahas. Hey, eBay's got a shiny warrantied one for $399, buy-it-now. It also comes with a very decent mouthpiece, the Vandoren B45.

I've never had any need to play an A clarinet. Yes, some orchestral stuff does call for one and if you were a pro symphonic player, you'd probably want one.

I've made up my mind

Hi All,

Well I've made up my mind on what to buy. Not the actual Clarinet yet but I'm going to sell a bunch of things on eBay (music stuff) and get enough money to buy whatever I want :).

Then I'll have the big choice of what to buy. I'm leaning to the Buffet but I really like the Patricola. It's going to be a hard choice. Well not hard if the Patricola isn't a great instrument. But if it is equal to the Buffet I might just get that.

Steve

Steve: Like I reported above, I really liked the Patricola models I played at NAMM. However, I liked the Buffets, too, but they were extremely expensive (I thought). I own one, but I bought it new in 1985 (in London at Howarth's) so I didn't pay today's prices.

AND, when I tested clarinets to purchase, I found huge differences among them, even among three Buffet RC Prestiges I tried. I bought what I thought was the best of the bunch and I've never been sorry I did.

Unless you have access to a store with many clarinets to try or a bottomless wallet, buying one sight-unseen can be risky, in my view. It may be worth your effort to call around the country and locate someone who has several. Then fly there and try them. At today's prices, it would less expensive to travel to the horns than to buy one you don't like.

OR, you could buy used from someone who has a return policy. DAVE

Back and raring to go

Hi all,

Just spent about 2 weeks in the hospital. My wife has offered to give me 1/2 the price of a clarinet. I'm figuring that I will try to get one about the 2000.00 mark. I should be able to get one at that price

Steve

Breal a leg?

Hi All,

Well, breaking a leg is out of the question but I have a friend in Italy and he's going to find out what the Patricola CL1 costs local to the plant. Still probably too much ....Sigh..... There are a lot of R13's for sale on the auction sites but I'm unsure whether or not to trust them.

Steve

If you're looking at an R13, you should just look for a reputable dealer. They really don't mark up horns as much (or at all) as people think -- primarily because they know eBay's out there. Just find a dealer that a) offers a trial policy and b) sells overhauled instruments.

Our own SteveSklar might have some for sale, but there aren't any listed on his website. JunkDude.com's generally got things that are interesting, too.

$2K is a lot of money for a clarinet.

My #1 opinion for you is that you should hook up with a decent mouthpiece and go to a local dealership that has some of the horns you think you'd want and try 'em. Hey, we can give you lots of opinions, but you have to find yourself a horn that fits you best -- especially because your budget for this has changed from $500 (student/intermediate clarinet range) to $2K (professional clarinet range).

Additionally, it doesn't look like you actually have experience playing clarinet. It might be better to get a decent clarinet (like that YCL-34 I mentioned) and spend the remainder on a good mouthpiece (like my Selmer C85 or a Vandoren B40/45) and lessons.

The R13's a great horn, but if I have no experience playing clarinet, any decent clarinet's good enough. A decent teacher is a better investment.

What I am getting

Hi All,

Just to let everyone know that I am or should say was an accomplished Clarinetist. 1st Chair in the High School of Performing Arts and First Chair in the 1st New York Army Band.

My original Clarinet was a Buffet (top of the line. I believe it was the R13 but it was tooooo many years ago). I might have said that I sold this in the 70's to pay my mortgage. I sold it for about $400.00.

I know it will take months of practicing if not more to get my chops up if even I can. I have still been playing so my reading is still top notch. I was a great reader of clarinet and was able to transpose for A, C and Eb instruments on the fly. I'm not bragging but I believe I can get close to where I was with some hard work.

Now back to the instrument. I really want the Patricola. I'd like the CL5 but I think I have to stick, money wise, with the CL1. I do want to investigate any and all reviews of this instrument because for the first time in my life I will purchase one without playing it first. Pretty scary for me but I bought many Electric Bass's and Guitars without playing them and never was unsatisfied.

Actually my Buffet was bought unseen from Carl Fischer when I was in High School. My father knew someone who knew someone and the Clarinet was top notch.

Please point me to any reviews bad or good.

Thanks,
Steve

Back
Top Bottom