What other hobbies do you have

Ed

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Just to kick off a bit of off topic stuff. . . I thought I would ask what other hobbies or interests people have.

I'm into reading, riding my road bike, hanging out with the family, and writing. I've been known to dabble in photography but haven't picked up my camera in months. I also collect fountain pens.

Collecting vintage ceramic flamingos, art glass pieces from the 50s and 60s, and vintage borzoi collectables. When not wandering around the antique stores, I usually spend my time reading, drinking margaritas on the deck :emoji_astonished: (summer hobby), or spending time with my friends.

cycling, astronomy, coins. used to also love riding my motorcycle early sat/sunday morning when it's peaceful and quiet. But no more motorcycle, so I use my car ... close but not the same.

should also mention watching Formula 1 and MotoGP racing :)

Should I mention that the motorcycle and peace and quiet might not go well together? :D

I used to photography about a half dozen CART races a year (it was a series that used to be called IndyCar and then there was this split which just finally ended . . . ) I follow F1 and to a lesser extent ALMS these days. I also like to cook. At the moment I am trying to perfect a roasted fingerling potatoes with truffles recipe. A couple of weeks ago I made some crazy difficult French chicken recipe that involved chicken breasts and forcemeat (basically ground up dark chicken meat).

Ed Svoboda said:
Should I mention that the motorcycle and peace and quiet might not go well together? :D

I used to photography about a half dozen CART races a year (it was a series that used to be called IndyCar and then there was this split which just finally ended . . . ) I follow F1 and to a lesser extent ALMS these days. I also like to cook. At the moment I am trying to perfect a roasted fingerling potatoes with truffles recipe. A couple of weeks ago I made some crazy difficult French chicken recipe that involved chicken breasts and forcemeat (basically ground up dark chicken meat).

Mmm....French chicken recipes!

I make one from Alton Brown's first book. It sounds like it'd be horribly heavy...but MMMMMMM!

Ed Svoboda said:

I don't (didn't) ride harleys .....

I recall ChampCar .. when they split (when George @ Indy got greedy) so did my viewership

I don't have TIME for hobbies.

Oh. I'm posting here, aren't I? :oops:.

* Computers.
* Reading.
* Watching movies, particularly Anime (R.O.D. the TV Series is what I'm currently watching. Excellent. The English subtitles are a little lacking -- I know just enough Japanese to know this).
* I like watching pro basketball and baseball, when I have the chance.
* Eating out.

I don't mind cooking and would actually enjoy it if the results were equal to the effort: I can spend 3+ hours making my spaghetti sauce and it's eaten in less than 1/2 hour. Hmmm. If I was getting my private consulting fee for people I like, that'd still be over $150.

Although, Merlin, if you come on down here, I'll see if I can't find a recipe for chicken coq au vin. I've made it two or three times and I've liked the result.

pete said:
I don't mind cooking and would actually enjoy it if the results were equal to the effort: I can spend 3+ hours making my spaghetti sauce and it's eaten in less than 1/2 hour.
Now there's a dinner guest candidate. One of my secret idols is Signor Rossini. :)

Anyhow, same situation here - too many interesting things, not enough time. Which (beyond work and family) is filled with practicing, concerts, bit of photo, bit of 'puting, cooking, hiking. Not much of a TV person, but currently I like Carl Hiaasen's books very much. Oh yes, of course, there's always a clarinet or a sax in need of repair nearby. Did I mention I have a motorbike?

No, I don't do the Five Tibetans when bored. 'cause I'm rarely bored, and basically a flaccid character. Unless there's something to fix in the household, that is.

tictactux said:
pete said:
I don't mind cooking and would actually enjoy it if the results were equal to the effort: I can spend 3+ hours making my spaghetti sauce and it's eaten in less than 1/2 hour.
Now there's a dinner guest candidate. One of my secret idols is Signor Rossini. :)

Anyhow, same situation here - too many interesting things, not enough time. Which (beyond work and family) is filled with practicing, concerts, bit of photo, bit of 'puting, cooking, hiking. Not much of a TV person, but currently I like Carl Hiaasen's books very much. Oh yes, of course, there's always a clarinet or a sax in need of repair nearby. Did I mention I have a motorbike?

No, I don't do the Five Tibetans when bored. 'cause I'm rarely bored, and basically a flaccid character. Unless there's something to fix in the household, that is.

I've been waiting to drop this obscure fact for a couple of months. . .

Did you know that Carl Hiaasen and Warren Zevon were buddies and wrote a song together? (Basket Case off of My Ride's Here)

Hmmm ... well ... I read books - all sorts - and I write them as well, in addition to editing other people's memoirs etc. I also design websites and I'm just starting off in photography as well.

Drawing, making things on PhotoShop (like my signature), and photography (like my avatar), primarily.

I also enjoy writing, but I don't do it much.

Bassoonist said:
Drawing, making things on PhotoShop (like my signature), and photography (like my avatar), primarily.
Again, I point out the calendar projects ....

Last edited by a moderator:
pete said:
Bassoonist said:
Again, I point out the calendar projects ....

But the only "good" (or at least, I think so.) picture I've ever taken is that one in my avatar... and I don't know if it's even good enough. I'm no professional.

Back
Top Bottom