What other hobbies do you have

Bassoonist said:
pete said:
Bassoonist said:
Drawing, making things on PhotoShop (like my signature), and photography (like my avatar), primarily.
Again, I point out the calendar projects ....

But the only "good" (or at least, I think so.) picture I've ever taken is that one in my avatar... and I don't know if it's even good enough. I'm no professional.
I've only had two actual; pro graphics arts folks that have their pictures published in my calendars. Hey, if you made a bigger one of your avatar or sig-line pic, that'd be just fine.

Cycling mostly, both my road and mtb. I'm only 5 minutes away from the woods with enough hills to work up a good sweat. Easy to have a 50+ miles ride without seeing anyone else out there (remember this is a small country and very crowded).
I live in the south, close to the German border and within half an hour I can cross the Begian border also with my bike to enjoy a nice beer on my break.

Are the borders open between countries. Here in the United States they're not for the most part. You can cross between Canada and the U.S. in various parts of the border easily (such as the boundary waters up in Minnesota).

Cycling mostly, both my road and mtb. I'm only 5 minutes away from the woods with enough hills to work up a good sweat. Easy to have a 50+ miles ride without seeing anyone else out there (remember this is a small country and very crowded).
I live in the south, close to the German border and within half an hour I can cross the Begian border also with my bike to enjoy a nice beer on my break.

Yes they are. Within the EU for most countries the borders are open, so I can go from Netherlands to Spain, crossing Belgium, Germany, Luxembourg, France, without problems, all open borders. Ofcourse customs and borderpolice sometimes are around to do some checks, but mostly you can just cross the border like you guys do from one state to the other.

The woods I mtb in are also on both sides of the border and you can just peddle around, no problem.

That sounds very cool.

It's not quite as cool to say that I drove through Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio (I'm about six hours to Cleveland from Chicago).

In six hours you can drive from the south here up to the north and back, crossing the whole country and still have time for a decent lunch.

I can make it to Canada in about six hours if I cross at Windsor (near Detroit). It's probably a six hour drive from the far north to the far south of the state of Illinois. Generally speaking it can be done on one road.

The advantage of being in Chicago is that I can choose to fly a lot of places which beats driving.

Sax playing/recording

Family rearing. 2 young daughters and a wonderful wife.

competitive golf

cycling. Mostly road bike lately but some MTB

computer activities

That keeps me more than busy....

I've only had two actual; pro graphics arts folks that have their pictures published in my calendars. Hey, if you made a bigger one of your avatar or sig-line pic, that'd be just fine.

That would work, but I read the rules, and the picture that I took has copyrighted music in it, so that won't work.

Last edited:
That would work, but I read the rules, and the picture that I took has copyrighted music in it, so that won't work.
Well, you can take another.

And you can put your signature back. I don't mind.

Take another? :emoji_astonished: I suppose I could attempt to.

By the way, I can't have my old signature because

I'm into cars. So my actual hobby is owning a restored 1969 Buick Skylark Custom convertible. We use this car mainly to show. We bought it in 1978 and it was restored between 1992 and 2003. We're driving it from New Jersey to Flint, Michigan in July to participate in the Buick Club of America national meet. There will probably be about 1000 old Buicks there, ranging in age from the very first ones, 1903 or '04, to models from the early '90s.

I'm into cars. So my actual hobby is owning a restored 1969 Buick Skylark Custom convertible. We use this car mainly to show. We bought it in 1978 and it was restored between 1992 and 2003. We're driving it from New Jersey to Flint, Michigan in July to participate in the Buick Club of America national meet. There will probably be about 1000 old Buicks there, ranging in age from the very first ones, 1903 or '04, to models from the early '90s.

That sounds like fun. Great old cars. I have a brother who is into cars and has a couple of 1964 Chevelle and Malibu SS's. I think he might also have a camero. I can't keep track other than the Chevelle. He's been restoring it for years and I've made a habit of giving him a hard time about how long it has taken him.

I've dreamed about restoring some classic car but I have managed to avoid pulling the trigger on that. I'm also not the most mechanically inclined person when it comes to working on cars.

Julian, you will have to post some photos for us from the show.

Sax playing/recording

Family rearing. 2 young daughters and a wonderful wife.

competitive golf

cycling. Mostly road bike lately but some MTB

computer activities

That keeps me more than busy....

Competitive golf? I'm impressed with that. I started to play a bit again last year after a few years off due to a foot injury. I'm as bad as when I stopped playing. :emoji_relaxed:

Competitive golf? I'm impressed with that. I started to play a bit again last year after a few years off due to a foot injury. I'm as bad as when I stopped playing. :emoji_relaxed:

I'd like to say I compete as a scratch player. I'm a long way from that! :emoji_rolling_eyes: I play in a few individual flighted events a year. My handicap right now is 11.2 but I've been as low as 9.1. It's a fun game at most any level.

If I could take my score and transpose it to the modified stableford system I would be the greatest golfer ever! :-D

Golf is a deceptively difficult game. I mean how hard can it be to hit a stationary ball?

I need to just stick to playing billiards (which is easier now with all of Illinois being non-smoking).

Because I kinda asked to repost over here, books are a favorite hobby.

Just like movies and anime -- which I may mention later -- I'm fond of a couple genres and if I just said something like, "I like $author the best", that'd be too limiting.

My favorite genres are "fantasy" and "science fiction". People tend to combine both, but the generes don't always combine -- although it can be a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup moment when they do ("You got your fantasy in my science fiction!" "You got your science fiction in my fantasy!" "Mmmm!").

I like books possibly because I went to school to become a creative writing teacher. I eventually realized it'd take waaaaay too long to realize that dream and life's too short.

Anyhow, some of my favorite writers:
* Charles De Lint (fantasy)
* Arthur C. Clarke (hard science fiction)
* Rudy Rucker (von Bitter) (even harder science fiction, non-fiction)
* Piers Anthony (F&SF -- but generally not the Xanth books and his co-author works generally suck)
* Douglas Adams (humorous writings, non-fiction -- although I didn't like The Meaning of Liff)
* Michael Shermer (non-fiction)
* Terry Goodkind (well, his first three books)
* Terry Jones (humorous SF)
* Terry Pratchett (humorous F)
* Spider Robinson (humorous SF, non-fiction)
* Robert Heinlein (hard sf)
* Douglas R. Hofstadter (non-fiction)
* Scott Adams (cartoonist, non-fiction)
* Darby Conley (cartoonist)
* Stephan Pastis (cartoonist)

... and many more.

Back
Top Bottom