What to do about unwanted clarinets?

Hi everyone!

Wasn't too sure about where to place this new thread but decided the general discussion was best.

I know a lot of people resort to selling their clarinets, but what do you do if you really can't find anyone interested?

I know that problem doesn't really exist for the Bb and A clarinets (and man, I am slowly saving my money for a Selmer Privilege Bass clarinet), but what about the more rarely used clarinets like Eb and dare I say it, an alto clarinet?

I was wondering if anyone had any advice about what to do with them or where to go to sell these kinds of horns. I've got one that no one's interested in and I kind of feel bad for even having it since I have no reason to play it. And an unplayed clarinet is pretty sad indeed.

Hi everyone!

Wasn't too sure about where to place this new thread but decided the general discussion was best.

I know a lot of people resort to selling their clarinets, but what do you do if you really can't find anyone interested?

Much as I dislike it, I would use ebay. That's what i did with my old high pitch alto. As long as you start low enough, somebody will buy it. Alternatively your repairer may take one for spares.

If you put something on starting very low and it really doesn't sell, then maybe it's firewood but that is a shame with grenadilla or rosewood or similar, it might be worth contacting one of the clarinet manufacturers that use wood/resin composites, e.g. Hanson.

I agree with what Pete said. Ebay is the best place to get rid of any instrument that you no longer need. The auction format also allows the largest audience possible and thus hopefully the highest price possible.

I'm surprised though that you cannot sell an Eb clarinet or alto clarinet in your college setting (your profile states you are in music performance)

An Eb 'nino is useful. You might not need it now, but you might later, particularly if you're going for a Performance degree of some sort. As SOTSDO, one of our CEs would point out, "There's no real need for an Eb alto clarinet."

I also support the eBay idea. What has worked for me is to create an auction with the lowest possible price you want for the item -- after you've looked at closed auctions to set a realistic price -- and don't put a reserve on it.

'Course, the very first time I put something on eBay, the "winner" of my auction asked me to send the item to Nigeria ....

As SOTSDO, one of our CEs would point out, "There's no real need for an Eb alto clarinet."
He just wants (as any closet hoarder does) to keep their prices down by means of FUD campaigns against the queen of woodwinds. :)

Thank you for the replies!!

Actually, I have sold an Eb clarinet on ebay recently. Went pretty quickly, it was a Selmer Paris E16 model and it had I think around 13 watchers (sold in 3 days).

But as for this alto clarinet I'm pretty much stuck with, no one seems interested! I asked around my uni as well and no one really expressed any desire to buy it and even my clarinet professors have suggested ebay but I keep listing it and nope, no buyers. It's a Yamaha YCL-631 model which "runs" for around $6,000 but everyone on ebay are selling their horns for $1,500 or less.

I guess there really is no need for an alto, which is why I figured I'd try to sell it but... I guess no one needs the extra firewood. :/

I am in the same as you with a lovely, new alto clarinet. I'd rather keep it for a clarinet choir rather than give it away. But maybe that's just me.

That would be Eww.

I'd take it, but I don't have the money to spend on it...

Purchasing an alto clarinet...

...is something like taking a chance on a bad bet. You've got to go into it with the expectations that you won't get anything out of it, and if (by some chance) you get something out of it, consider yourself fortunate.

Usually, it's a school that gets tricked into buying a "professional" alto. The Guarde Republican Band over in France used to carry a player, and (I believe) at one time the service bands here had such a duty slot. But, the things are steadily dying out, just like bass saxophones did in the 1940's.

I can't say it's a great loss. I may be unique on this service in that I made my first money out of music playing an alto clarinet - well, that and I haven't had to touch one since.

You can always take that reasoning to an absurd level, too: there's no reason for a bass saxophone because it's just playing a euphonium part. There's no reason for a euphonium because it's just playing a third trombone part. There's no reason for a third trombone part because it's just playing a second bassoon part. There's no reason for a second bassoon part because we have a fully qualified flock of Canada geese ....

FWIW, I have a couple of second cousins that are (were) band directors. One of them had a whole bunch of old instruments he didn't know what to do with, so I asked if I could take 'em. As an example, I stripped the paint off a early 20th century marching bass drum and found beautiful rosewood underneath. I then donated the stripped drum to a church that had an orchestra, the director of which was able to get appropriate hardware -- rather inexpensively -- to make it into a functioning bass drum.

Even if you think it's junk, someone will probably be interested.

There's obviously a market for pro Eb alto clarinets: too many big-name companies produce 'em. I don't think that, say, Yamaha is in the habit of keeping a line of instruments if they weren't profitable. However, it's a fun running joke. I wonder if our posts will convince someone to write a symphony for alto clarinet ....

Running joke aside...

...I wonder where this demand for alto clarinets is coming from. There was no commercial demand for the things that I have been able to discern.

As an academic exercise many years ago during a day off from work with nothing better to do, I pulled a huge number of modern scores from an extensive collection maintained at Washington University ("in Saint Louis", as the NCAA crowd says whenever the place is mentioned, to differentiate them from places with a real sports program), and checked them for both bass clarinet and other "odd" (non-Bb or A soprano) clarinets. I compiled the results on a tabulation pad, the sort of thing we folks used to work with numbers back before spreadsheets were invented.

Other than a mere sprinkling of inclusions in the works of Percy Granger (sic?), stuff like Apollo and the Boatman (sic?), and one or two graduate student productions, the alto clarinet column on the sheets was blank. Indeed, there were more 'modern' inclusions of the basset horn and contra-clarinets than there were of the poor old alto.

With evidence like that, as well as what we see in current band and orchestra arrangements, you have to wonder why makers persist in making the things. Personally, I see the occasional use of the basset horn and contra-clarinets as a "novelty" employment, the inclusion of something different for difference's sake. With that in mind, the question arises as to why the alto clarinet is not similarly included.

The orchestration books that I have tend to use terms like "insipid" when describing the alto clarinet. The tonal quality must have something to do with it, as rarity, lack of someone to play them, or difficulty of playing one well obviously aren't the reason.

The bass sax isn't a perfect parallel here. For one thing, them big saxophones are a lot more expensive to buy. Their maintenance in playing condition is a problem as well, much moreso than would be keeping an alto in similar condition. And, their transportation and deployment is a much larger problem than is that of the alto - at least you can carry the weight of a helicorn or sousaphone on your shoulder and march with it without having to worry about hitting your neighbor in the formation.

I conducted another exercise once, this when wondering about the disappearance of the bass saxophone from the musical landscape. Both of my parents attended Saint Louis area high schools, and due to district reassignments, they attended four different high schools during that time span. They also kept their high school annuals/"yearbooks" for each year of their schooling.

Each of the four schools covered by those annuals had a bass saxophone shown in their concert band photos. (That they were all different horns was made obvious by things like horn design and dent patterns.) From that (admittedly very limited) bit of data, and considering things like American population distribution during the period, the extent of the American middle class in the late 1930's and such, I churned the numbers and came up with the possibility of more than two thousand bass saxophones that should have been in existence in 1938. (And, I made sure to round down at every opportunity, taking care not to allow my affection for the bass sax to skew the results.)

With this (admittedly flimsy, but perhaps the best synthesis available in the absence of stuff like Conn bass saxophone production records) in mind, where are all the oceans of bass saxophones that once existed? Speculation ranges from "melted down for World War II artillery shell casings" to the very hopeful "hidden in a school district's warehouse somewhere". They surface occasional basis, as evidenced by postings here and elsewhere, but in nothing like the numbers that my conservative calculations had indicated.

With that in mind, consider the alto clarinet. I didn't pay the band's alto clarinet content the least bit of attention (all bands had multiple bass clarinets, but I don't recall any of those half-bent alto necks showing up in any of the portraits), but let's assume that they were there nonetheless. By extension, there should be a goodly amount of old alto clarinets kicking around in the secondary market.

And, indeed there are. I frequented school district auctions during the 1980's in the Saint Louis area and surrounding Missouri and Illinois counties, looking for that hidden bass sax to surface. I found plenty of beaten to death baritone saxes, bassoons, bass clarinets and (as expected) alto clarinets in droves, but never - not once - any portion of a bass saxophone.

What gives here? Damn'd if I could figure it out, other than junked altos are a glut on the market while bass saxophones have vaporized. But, I did notice in the auctions that the only time the alto clarinets were sold was when they were bundled in a job lot with a number of other instruments.

Look, I'm not against clarinets in general, nor against the concept of an alto voice. I employ women with alto ranges as my vocalists whenever possible. I can play the basset horn, and do pretty well at it, by all accounts. When performing vocal SSA arrangements as clarinet trios, I enjoy playing the alto part on the bass. Hell, I even dated a viola player for an extended period once. (She's now a "save the whales" type activist, and routinely gets arrested for her protest activities.)

But, I draw the line at the alto clarinet. While the quality horns work as well as any other properly constructed clarinet (which means, avoid the "single register" mechanism on them just as much as on a bass clarinet), there's nothing in the horn's range or tonal pallet that the bass clarinet can't do just as well, all while bringing more to the table in the bargain.

And, their diminished role in music these days seems to indicate that I may be on to something. Whatever the reason, the alto clarinet (like the viola de gamba, the basset horn, the ophicleide and yes, even the bass saxophone) is being fitted for its slot in the dustbin of musical history. Revival is always possible, and negative voices like mine will someday be silenced by the march of time, so hope springs eternal. But, I'm not going long on Yamaha alto clarinet manufacturing stock...

If the price is low enough, you might sell your alto clarinet to someone who is looking for key cups to rebuild a tárogató. ;)

Seriously, although in modern symphonic band literature the alto clarinet is rarely an integral voice in the ensemble it is a very common and important voice in clarinet choir literature. For that reason alone it should be a part of a high school's band instrument inventory.

Mmm. I vaguely remember high school and I do remember several clarinet "choirs" that I was in. I don't remember an alto clarinet, although there were at least two in the full band(s).

I also attended 5 different high schools. I think.

At least in Norway, we use alto clarinets in 'clarinet choir' chamber music groups, although the voice isn't the most important. I just think it'd be fun to noodle around on :)

I can tolerate alto clarinets, but not marching band.
Opinion: no need for woodwinds (or double-reeds) other than piccolo in marching band. You can't hear 'em anyway.

Back
Top Bottom