Dismiss Notice
I hate the colors. What do I do?

At the far bottom of the page, on the left, is a menu or link that says, "Forum Default." Click on that and choose a different Style.

WooF Member Recording Thread

Discussion in 'See and/or Listen' started by tjontheroad, Mar 7, 2009.

1. I know what you're saying about compin' without the head. I played and recorded the guitar part many times over before I had a take I liked and felt I could play the sax along with. At least the bass part was not as hard get down. I did that first and used it as my anchor.

2. Coincidence. I just recorded Detour Ahead a day or two ago. Hak is helping me find a recording setup that doesn't make the tenor sound as harsh. I'll be redoing the sax track soon with a different setup and microphone. Then, I hope, Hak will do some magic with the audio.

http://www.playalongstudio.com/tunes/detouraheadsax.mp3

I hear lots of phrasing issues in this that I want to address, too.

3. Coincidence? Not really :) It's the tune of the month. Your backing track is pretty sweet sounding to go along your tenor. Hak's soprano version is also well worth the listen too.

Nice work as always Al.

4. Gandalfe

Gandalfe Administrator Staff Member Administrator

What, no linkee?

5. Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  6. Gandalfe

Man, I could listen to Hak all day. Players like that are the reason I rarely post audio of my solos. :cool:

7. Yeah, listening to guys like that makes want to quit my job and shred all day. Or, quit playing all together

:cry:

8. Al, you get a deeper spread tone with the RPC than what I've heard from you before. I like it :emoji_smile:

9. Thanks. If you listen to some of the earlier posts of mine on this thread (the piano/sax duo stuff), you'll hear a lot of the RPC. The spread you hear now is, I think, a function of hakmagic.

Except that I don't know what "spread" means. :)

10. Gandalfe

Maybe it means Phatt! :emoji_rage:

11. Well, I was listening to the Skylark version you'd had done as a comparison. Reading back, I see you recorded that long ago. By spread I mean to say there's more bottom end to go along with the focused mid range tone you get. This very well could be a recording technic improvement. I guess I never know unless I hear you in person. That be nice one day :cool:

12. posted this on SOTW and thought I'd put it up here at TWWF too.

I had a fun Jazz gig last night.

Evidence is in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNYT2uRww5M

And, YES....that is a 12 year old on drums.

MY 12 year old daughter captured the video. :)

13. Dave Dolson

Dave Dolson Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Glen: Good to see (and hear) you're still at it. DAVE

14. Dave,

Thanks for giving a listen and saying hi. I'm still playing with the 9 piece group at the Madonna Inn monthly as well as playing more frequently in smaller groups.

Glen

15. Dave Dolson

Dave Dolson Distinguished Member Distinguished Member

Good. I've been with the Golden Eagle Jazz Band for several years now. We play two Sundays per month a Steamers Cafe, in Fullerton, among other gigs. DAVE

16. Gandalfe

Still looking forward to seeing that video Dave. Good job Glen. :cool:

17. Thanks, Jim!

Our staff's websites: