Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

s-l1600_012.jpg
pete

s-l1600_012.jpg

Eugène Albert Clarinets
Eugène Albert A and Bb Clarinet Pair
https://www.ebay.com/itm/163325370412

Markings, upper joint:
F.A.
S.A. CHAPPELL
SOLE AGENT
52 NEW BOND STREET
LONDON

Markings, lower joint:
APPROVED BY
Mr. LAZARUS

Markings, bell:
MANUFACTURED
BY
E. ALBERT
BRUSSELS

==============

From the ad:
Good general condition to be restored, all screws are free and only has two visible cracks in one barrel.

The tenons are original, metallic with double walls, and the twelfth [octave] key seems to have been modified, originally it should be a wrap key that was turned and closed in front, now the key has the most common shape closing behind.

The case is in poor condition and it appears not original. Comes with a mouthpiece, lig and cap, the mpc is branded:

BOOSEY & Cº LTD
LONDON

==============

Comments from me:
* Boosey did contract Henry Lazarus for assistance when they wanted to start producing clarinets, so while it's not original, it is kinda cool.
* This is definitely a late 19th century horn, pre-1895. We have a thread regarding another E Albert horn at https://woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/eugene-albert-clarinet.25910. There's also a horn in the Edinburgh museum, built around 1877, that has the same "brevete" ("patented") marking on the low key cups. I'd expect the horn I have pictured here to be approximately the same age.

Last edited:
I noticed this pair on ebay when I searched for Albert before I bought my $100 one-that relocating of the register vent strikes me as rather odd-I get doing it for the one that cracked along the post and the register pip spot, but doing it for both seems a tad weird-is there any actual acoustical benefit to either position?
Only argument I've heard for or against either is that the wraparound helps with condensation in the register pip, but also is more difficult to get sealing, as it's at a bit of an angle.
(also in other news there is a very good chance I will be getting a set of some FREE clarinets soon, so let's see how that ends up next month when I see my tech...4 of them, complete with some cracks and wear from many decades of use.)

Media information

Album
Eugene Albert Bb/A Clarinet Combo
Added by
pete
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

Back