Alert: Stolen Bass Sax - $1500 reward offered

Gandalfe

Striving to play the changes in a melodic way.
Staff member
Administrator
We've just received this from Benedikt:
"<name removed> borrowed my Eppelsheim bass saxophone and did not return it. The engraving on the bell is "Eppelsheim Munchen" and the serial number (stamped in the bottom of the main tube) is "52". If someone finds it, the reward of $1500 will be paid when I have the bass sax in my possession in Munich.

Anyone who buys or sells this instrument is guilty of fraud. Lawful ownership of this bass saxophone #52 is not possible at this time."
Benedikt has made a report to the Munich polizei.

This alert has also been posted at the Bass Sax Coop, The Bis Key Chronicles, SotW, and on the UseNet, alt.music.saxophone. Help us find this sax. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
Glen: The owner/designer of the Epplesheim saxophones is named Benedikt Epplesheim. Probably the composer of the theft message is the same guy, but it is not clear.

Again, my curious/suspicious nature is at work here. I don't know the details, but in many places, the failure to return borrowed property isn't necessarily a crime until and unless some very specific criteria is met. I assume there is much more to the story than is posted here.

Of course, any attempt by the borrower to sell such an item would be fraudulent even if there was no original theft involved. As to the buyer committing a crime, well . . . that depends on the buyer's knowledge and intent. Good luck in proving that - anywhere. DAVE

Not a problem.

Gandalfe OWNS an Eppelsheim horn. And it's a custom one, at that -- so he's had more than a couple e-mail exchanges with Mr. E.

I've also had some e-mail conversations with Mr. E, but I don't think we're on a first-name basis :).

Hope he gets the horn back, tho.

Gandalfe: Yes, generally. I suppose different jurisdictions have different rules, but generally speaking, the seller, if he knows the property is not his or was stolen would be committing a crime almost everywhere if he sold it knowing it wasn't his.

The buyer may be innocent of criminal charges (knowledge is critical), but the buyer rarely if ever has legal ownership regardless of his intent (NOT knowing the item was stolen or not the property of the seller). When the item's true owner is discovered, the item goes back to its owner. The buyer then eats the loss unless he can seek civil redress. And, if the buyer's knowledge can be proven, he too faces criminal charges. DAVE

It's a pretty small community of sax players who would buy this horn, and for the kind of money one would assume it would fetch even on the black market, albeit significantly lower than the sticker price. It isn't exactly conveniently sized to smuggle across national borders or ship either, so the presumption is that the thief intends to sell within reasonably close proximity.

I'm wondering if the buyer wasn't lined up PRIOR to the theft, like so many art heists that take place. The perpetrator doesn't seem that swift or organized however.

I have to say, one look at that beat up drivers license, and I would have demanded a full value deposit.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The quoted price is for a new instrument and this one was used. Plus, since it's hot, the would most likely be an additional discount. Benedikt expects it to go somewhere in Europe. But you never know.

(Seriously, how many Benedikt's do you know?) :emoji_rage:

I know of a guy with the last name of "Arnold". Different spelling of the first name, IIRC ....

Back
Top Bottom