Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Are Pedler BCs now rare and collectible?

I found this on EBay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Ped...790318?hash=item2cae3cf06e:g:Pk0AAOSwtJZXVcgu

I have a Pedler BC. I had it not just re-padded, but overhauled by my tech. It's actually a nice BC and I like the Americana thing with the engraved bell (although I'd like to have some of the dents removed from it), and five piece wooden body.

So I have purchase price ~$300.00 (it's been 4-5 years)
Overhaul $400.00
Gig Bag $80.00 (The case was in pieces and stunk up the house)
Total $780.00

As much as I like my Pedler, I'm playing Alto Sax these days, so if someone wants to offer me half of the E- Bay price of $3,500.00 we would have a deal :).

Also, the E-Bay Pedler has an un-repaired big piece of wood broken off near the thumb rest!

Only one of these that sold on ebay recently was for $425, so I think they might want a bit more than it's worth. =P

The more fonts and font sizes used in the eBay ad, the less value the instrument has.

Amusingly, the person's also bought a Google ad, which I found when I was checking up on these. The eBay'er also originally listed the horn at $5000.

* TT said he saw one sold for $425. The ones in current ads are a semi-beat one for $299, one in nice shape at Buy-it-Now of about $1150, and the now $3.5K horn. Googling shows a few more, with the highest selling for (not "sold for") $1200 and most selling for the sub-$500 range.
* I can say that lots of folks have said Pedler clarinets are decent. I don't remember hearing anything negative. That being said, I can buy a Selmer Series 9 bass clarinet for $2000 in "excellent condition" from Quinn or a new low C Ridenour for $2850.

Yah. I'm not exactly able to justify the price the guy's selling at. Also, as mentioned, the $3500 eBay horn has damage: bunch of dents, broken thumbrest, missing plating, bad corks, etc.

$3500 for a beat-up Pedler? Stranger things have happened. For example, I once saw a lead trumpet help pack up after a gig.

Just because someone wants to sell something for a certain price doesn't actually mean that it is worth that amount.

I love the "someone says it is worth" amount.
As that can vary greatly depending upon what they actually mean (modern retail insurable value? insured replacement value, current value, open market value, etc.). When someone says something is worth far more than you think one should IMMEDIATELY sell it to THAT person that declares that. Probably 100% of the time that person does not want to buy it, which gives you a good indication of actual valuation accuracy.

I recall a few years ago someone on eBay was trying to sell a "Symphonie Artiste" Bb clarinet for $1500ish.
I told them it was a Sears sold instrument made by Malerne.
But they refused to accept that, and declared that it was a Leblanc made clarinet. Simply because and old model name was similar. Forget the keywork was not leblanc, nor the emblems similar, and no "leblanc" stamp anywhere to be found, etc.

Also Irregardless that I bought one over a two decades before (and it's still around) and it clearly is NOT high quality in any regards. Definitely not Leblanc, nor Noblet quality level, nor even Normandy quality level. It was below that, similar to the lower end Selmer USA clarinets of the time, think Signet 100 level. It was made by Malerne and a beginner student level instrument.

After about a year I still saw it for sale though the price keep lowering to around $350 at that time. I'm sure it still went unsold as time went on.

For Open Market valuation I check eBay SOLD auctions. That gives one the best indicator of valuation in an Open Market, which last time was $425 in good condition.

If you consider it a Pro level instrument then one could get insurance to replace a comparable pro level instrument, which will give you a valuation on the other side of the spectrum. What is it's equivalent? A Buffet Tosca Bass Clarinet? Of course one would actually have to have current replacement valuation on it, just hope that the insurance company doesn't research it if one gets stolen and hand one a check for $425.

For Open Market valuation I check eBay SOLD auctions. That gives one the best indicator of valuation in an Open Market
http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/index.php?threads/global-faq-horn-value.20646/

The upthrust of that thread is that monetary value doesn't always equal playability value, particularly in the used market. New market? That's a bit different because all the prices are so much higher. Personally, what I want to do is get the player the best bang for the buck. Why? Well, I think the world is a better place with more musicians and if you have good kit, you're going to stick with playing longer.

In a very real sense, I really don't care if someone spends $3500 on a bass clarinet that folks say is worth $500. It's not hurting me in any way -- except if I had my eye on an identical horn and was hoping to pay only $500 for it. However, I'm not in the market for a bass clarinet. I don't have any friends or family members that want a bass clarinet, either.

Being apathetic can be liberating :D.

Only one of these that sold on ebay recently was for $425, so I think they might want a bit more than it's worth. =P

I'd bet that the $425.00 BC didn't have a chunk of wood pulled out of it! "Surprisingly" :) this one didn't sell.

I've done 2 no-reserve E-Bay Auctions: one for a Jupiter BC and another for a Beaugnier Vito Alto. Both sold for what (I believe) they were worth. For the most part, the market seeks it's own level. I'd bet if this BC was auctioned with no reserve it would have sold for (maybe) $200.00 with a big chunk out of it, it's a parts horn.

Due to recent circumstances, I have returned my attention to my Pedler BC (Our small community band is now a "combo" having returned from Covid as a small group, and I am now welcome to try different horns)

I was able to buy a Fobes San Fransico MP on EBay for a good price, and got out the practice books---everything was good until heading north of G3, then things get stuffy, and difficult to produce a note on it's own without a lead up from a lower note. Also, these notes are very stuffy. (Also have tried 2 Grabner pieces and several others). The Fobes SF works wonders on my Sop and Contra Alto Clarinets.

I also noticed that Bb3 is non existent, trying the 1 + 100 etc, fingering, and only playable via A + RH palm keys. I can only play up to G above the staff whilst straining.

As it is a nearly 100 + year old horn, I would assume that these issues were addressed in BC's, such as the introduction if LH index finger key with the alternate key with the tiny hole. I did have a Jupiter BC with this feature that I could not wait to sell.

Someone played this old instrument for many hours, I am wondering if it is possible to address the above issues.

Any input is appreciated.

I think I modified and old Leblanc MP to get some results up there. More open tip and a slight rollover baffle made it pop up there (If my memory serves me, I haven't played bass in over 10 yrs). I also shortened it at the same time to bring pitch up on it. I have a number of bass pieces but my frankenstien piece was my favorite when I played my Pedler last.

Thanks, I may get in touch with Mojo and consider sending him one or more of my non- Fobes pieces for experimentation, that may solve the stuffies. I'll dust them off and try to pick out a likely candidate.

I guess that lack of a 100 100 or 100 010 Bb fingering is one of the horn's oddities.

You may want to make contact with Steve S. I had him balance out the facing on my piece and he may recall more specifics on where it ended up. I just worked til I was happy with the results without taking any measurements along the way.

Steve has sent me some pm's and I appreciate his input.
I decided to round up my BC pieces and give them another try. My experience with Sax and Clarinet mouthpieces is that if I don't like them when I first try them, then I still won't like them when I give them another go, and that is still the case.

So: 5 mouthpieces

1. B40 this is a Vandoren, but is not marked as Vandoren anywhere...OK, on Ebay now

2. Grabner - I obtained this in a trade with a SOTW member. I never liked it much, still don't,
in conversing with the Ron (the SOTW Member) he was also not impressed with the Grabners
- No one sells their favorite mouthpieces !
now on Ebay

3. " " this one is a Selmer blank, a bit more responsive not much different than the Yama 4c

4. Yama 4c Not too bad, considering the price difference.

5. My Fobes SanFrancisco: playing much better, I'm probably getting my BC chops back, I have taken in more mouth piece.
Things seem to be staring to pop, I even was able to produce G4, although it wasn't pretty.

As Steve suggested, I will do a leak light check. He had mentioned pad life, and I realized that I have had the Pedler for ~10 years now, since it got new pads.

I decided to round up my BC pieces and give them another try. My experience with Sax and Clarinet mouthpieces is that if I don't like them when I first try them, then I still won't like them when I give them another go, and that is still the case.
Just my observation from me. No offense intended toward anyone.

I'm the guy that gave up playing clarinet when I was about 10 or so because it was too difficult to play. Well, a couple years later, I had the choice of being in band or some other activity I didn't like, so I went into band. I had a different clarinet (the one I had at age 10 was a new Selmer Signet and yes, I can remember that) and a different mouthpiece, and it was astonishingly easy to play on!

However ...

I've done a few reviews of computer keyboards and computer keyboard switches for $website. The latest keyboard was a definite dud out of the box. However, after a week of testing, I can see the attraction of said keyboard and can review it positively. But it took a week. It's also not really something I like.

If I could still play, the only thing that would make me instantly say a horn was unplayable/bad for me is if the pinky keys were overly heavy. Yay, arthritis.

Back
Top Bottom