Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Buncha Contra Altos on Ebay I bought one

Selmer bundy plastic contra alto clarinet | eBay
I wonder where they got all of these? Any thoughts?
I bought one and got mine today. Seems to be in good shape, I haven't played it yet, just ordered a mouthpiece.

Seems to be well looked after. The case isn't too bad (whew!) No case stink - to speak of - stensiled lettering on the case
probably a school? Who knows, maybe a local orchestra that bought a Bundy for an instrument that gets in frequent use,
although this Ebayer has sold quite a few of them and I think driven the prices down.

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I wonder where they got all of these? Any thoughts?
I think your idea of a school or community orchestra buying one for infrequent use is probably it. It also may be possible that an entire school system is now getting rid of instruments that they really don't use. Hey, I've only seen a contralto used in a band once. It was used for a transposed part.

Furthering the conversation about, "Where did you get that shiny?" one of my high schools had an Eb sopranino clarinet -- a plastic Bundy, BTW -- and a Bb contrabass clarinet that were stashed in a remote corner of the practice room. While I toyed with the sopranino a bit, I didn't want to play it in band: way too many high notes in sopranino clarinet music. (i.e. What's that note 5 ledger lines above the staff, again?) I did play the contrabass for about a year or two. Leblanc paperclip. I still remember playing "A Christmas Festival" on it. That was fun.

I have a 2nd cousin who's a former high school band director. I got a variety of things from him, all of which I donated away years ago. I've also had friends of friends give me stuff because I "was into music" and/or "play those saxophones and clarinets."

Yes Pete I agree about a Contra Alto probably being stashed in a closet, but this seller has quite a few of them and they all look the same.
I think I'll ask him. I'll post here if I get a response.

I'm having a difficult time explaining to my wife why I need this. So far the best response I have is: "I can double on a Bassoon part"
and "I have bought mouthpieces that cost more"

saxhound

Staff member
CE/Moderator
That's a tough one to explain. When I bought my bass clarinet my explanation was that I was going to start playing in shows. In ten years I have played in one show, and the BC had about two minutes of playing time. Oops. I'm thinking about getting my rock band to play When I'm Sixty-four, but I really don't want to carry it to the gig for one tune.

Gandalfe

Admin and all around good guy.
Staff member
Administrator
I have actually played mine, even solo'd in big bands but I haven't pulled it out of the closet in about five years. There are so many great instruments out there that you have to force into a group to make it work. My F mezzo soprano sax comes to mind.

"There are so many great instruments out there that you have to force into a group to make it work. "

Agreed.

I'm waiting on a Fobes San Francisco mouthpiece, cost almost as much as the Contra :)

I bought and played at least 10 mouthpieces for the Sop Clarinet, and the Fobes was by far my favorite. Hopefully the Contra piece will be just as impressive. I have a 10 day trial. Not many other options...

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I'm having a difficult time explaining to my wife why I need this. So far the best response I have is: "I can double on a Bassoon part" and "I have bought mouthpieces that cost more"
You might have more success with the former than the latter :D.

My other hobby is repairing vintage computer keyboards. I found something way out of my general price range. My selling point was, "If I fix this, I can repair it and sell it for 50% more than I'll pay." Which is both true and worked.

I really enjoyed playing bass clarinet and Bb contrabass. Maybe we should put together The Ultimate Clarinet Choir.

"Maybe we should put together The Ultimate Clarinet Choir. " It would have to be on Zoom :)
The Fobes came today, the Contra plays up to A2 but won't go over the break. It was advertised as needing adjustment, it looks to be in good shape overall.

I'll get it in to my tech, I haven't seen him for a year, I'll need to get a new KN 95 out of the box.

Top Bottom