Car Tawk

Helen

Content Expert Saxophones
Staff member
Administrator
... I love my vintage Volvos almost as much as I love my vintage saxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the added bonus would be I wouldn't have to buy a new car! :-D I love my vintage Volvos almost as much as I love my vintage saxes.

You're an amzon at heart....

Friends had an old 122s. She was swedish, and her father gave it to them. Did over 700,000Km on the first engine. Then they put a used motor in it. That was pretty new, had only done about 200,000Km....

My dad work for Volkswagen of Germany and then for VW of Canada. He had his master papers in mechanics. He became one of their trainers, and taught repairs to the dealer network mechanics. (He started with DKW, later Audi, VW, & Porsche). Nothing disappointed him more than when I sold my first car (a 1968 Beetle which was minty, that he had found for me, and rebuilt the engine and interior in), and bought a '76 244DL. This was in the early 80s. I've been driving Volvos ever since. My favourite model is the 240 series, and that's all I've ever owned. I have 2 of them. I show room condition '89 sedan that's my summer car with under 100,000 Km, and my everyday driver, with about 250,000 Km. It's a '91 wagon, but also in very, very good condition. People stop me regularly and ask me about it, because it is so pristine. Original paint that still looks new.

My dad always teased me about the fact that I never made a good German. I don't like beer, have never drank it, but prefer vodka, and drive Swedish cars. He joked if I wasn't careful, Germany would take away my citizenship. :emoji_smile:

Lol, I used to have a 940 station wagon. Loved it, but the red paint faded badly. Mywife made me sell it when we left for Germany, cos the steering wheel was on the wrong side. She made up for it by letting me buy a Landrover when the Mazda threatened to die.

I remember our doctor rocking up in a 240 one day, this would be mid 60s, told my mum it had cost him a lot of money and would have to last a long time. Bet it did, I never got to find out, as we moved a few years later, but he still had it then.

I had a 1960 PV544 -- the one that looked like a '48 Ford. Great car that I should have kept.

I love those, and the 444. Have always kept my eye out for one, but they're all wrecks generally. The reconditioned ones cost too much... I could buy a few more saxophones for that price. Oh wait, I think I did... :emoji_rage:

We also have an 850 GL in the family, but I'm not a fan of front wheel drive. At least the 900 series still the rear wheel drive. When I moved back to BC in 2004 I needed a station wagon, and I would have bought a 900 if I hadn't been able to find a 245. My friend owns a small shop that specializes in selling minty or pristine Volvos. She can find you anything (she used to own a Volvo dealership) you're looking for. Mine is originally from California.

In case anyone is wondering what a PV544 is (like me):

1960_Volvo_PV544_Rear_1.jpg

My ex-wife was an auto mechanic. So, during my life, I've owned approximately 60 cars. (I may have mentioned this before.) Further, I used to live about a mile away from the Pierce-Arrow plant in Buffalo, NY. Further still, I had a friend in Tuscon whose father collected cars. He had maybe 75, in various states of repair, including things as varied as a Pierce-Arrow and a racing Dodge Superbird.

I think that there are a lot of really pretty cars out there, but I'm as content to look at pictures of them as I am of looking at sax pics.

The only car I regret not buying was a 1956 Chevy 210, about 15 years ago. I've had several cars I've regretted owning.

I'm definitely not a mechanic, so I can't help you there.

re: German engineering, though, I've owned two Beetles (aka "Type I") ('63 and '69, IIRC) and a '79 Rabbit diesel. The Rabbit was one of those I've regretted owning.

re: Volvo, I believe that the above mentioned '69 I owned had an engine fire that consumed the vehicle. I've had an early 1980's (IIRC) Chrysler K-car that had an engine fire and then ran better.

Oh. Speaking of "Car Talk," the show, which has been on National Public Radio (NPR) for several years, is retiring. NPR says that it'll run repeats for the forseeable future.

When I was on a cruise ship gig in the mid 1970s, my boss (a brilliant arranger/trumpet/piano player) and his wife went shopping for a car. I drove them to a Volkswagen dealer where the young salesman took us out for a test drive in a Rabbit.

The four of us (Me, boss, wife, and salesman/driver) went screaming into an unpaved field where the salesman proceeded to put 100,000 miles into the clutch on that Rabbit.

The boss was impressed. I was scared. Later, I think they sold that rabbit to Pete. (Maybe not - the years were wrong)

Sometimes I just have to brag.

One of the guys I work with has a '61 Austin Healy 3000. 2 seater. Was built/sent out to the US for racing.

About 10 years ago he bought it, brought it back to Europe. And although it's been roadworthy he's spent more time rebuilding than driving. It's now just about finished - well as finished as it will ever be. Overdrive works, twin servos on the brakes, Bilstein shocks, and a lot of other nice touches.

He's been threatening me with a ride for some time now. And today it happened. WOOOOW.... What a ball. straight six motor, 4 speed box with overdrive. Triple carbs, and a breathed on race spec engine. I've just had one of the best half hours in my life. Wonderful sounding motor, slightly lumpy at low revs and a wonderful sound as the revs climb. Hard springs. Silghtly vague steering. Good brakes. No roof. Good performance, especially considering the thing's over 50 years old. Incredible for such an old car. Great in the corners. As in stunning. Sure a modern pocket rocket will pull away, but this is fun at legal speeds... Lots of fun.

I'm smitten. I want one. A bit like the first time I rode a big Laverda. Just as well I don't have any money.... The Laverda was a different story, and many years ago.

The most amazing thing about the Healy 3000 was that it had roll-up windows. Imagine that! A genuine British roadster without side curtains!

When I was on a cruise ship gig in the mid 1970s, my boss (a brilliant arranger/trumpet/piano player) and his wife went shopping for a car. I drove them to a Volkswagen dealer where the young salesman took us out for a test drive in a Rabbit.

The four of us (Me, boss, wife, and salesman/driver) went screaming into an unpaved field where the salesman proceeded to put 100,000 miles into the clutch on that Rabbit.

The boss was impressed. I was scared. Later, I think they sold that rabbit to Pete. (Maybe not - the years were wrong)
True story of test drive:

I was living in Buffalo, NY and I needed a new vehicle. I went to a dealership and said that it'd be nice if I could get a 4x4. Hey, Buffalo = snow and bad roads, in general. The salesdude took me out to test drive the vehicle (Suzuki Sidekick, IIRC). He drove me around in the back lot of a store that was under construction, so there was enough snow and debris to play with the 4x4. He was driving at maybe 20mph. I asked if I could take over. I drove around at 45mph. The guy was quite literally hanging on with white knuckles. I was also making very calm and pointed comments about the handling.

He let me drive the next vehicle all by myself ....

=============

Anyhow, re: Volkswagens, I rented a new Passat a few months back -- this one had the odd W-5 engine -- and I was very happy with everything on it, except for the radio: no midrange. My wife rented a Jetta (4-cyl) a few weeks ago and she really liked that. I should check the MPG they get, especially with the turbo diesel.

I had an 89 765 Ti and it was a great car. The handling was good, ride was good, and I could haul a couple basses and passengers too. The thing was also pretty fast. Only reason I got rid of it was because it needed some attention in mid winter - a VERY cold mid winter and I didn't have room to get it into my garage and the local schmuck wanted both arms both legs and the firstborn with dibs on the second to work on it.

I sold it as is for a pretty good profit to a guy who had wanted one since they were new.

Someday when I get my Passat back together I may look for another.

As a traditionalist, I'm always gratified when auto makers follow their established traditions. Fiat is honoring their history by placing last (tied with Smart) in the J. D. Power 2112 initial quality survey.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom