Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Car Tawk

CVTs have come a long way. We're replacing our smart Passion coupe with the almost-as-small Toyota Scion iQ. It has a CVT that is smooth as glass - it feels like a standard automatic slushbox.

CVTs have come a long way. We're replacing our smart Passion coupe with the almost-as-small Toyota Scion iQ. It has a CVT that is smooth as glass - it feels like a standard automatic slushbox.
"Standard automatic"? Hed asploding ....

:p

I read over some articles on the CVT. The idea isn't all that unique, but the design is almost guaranteed to save you money at the gas pump, so that's a big thing. The other thing I found interesting is that a lot of Americans have problems with and don't like the CVT because it doesn't feel/sound "right." You've just got that smooth acceleration curve.

Speaking of CVTs, there I find it interesting that American companies only have them on hybrids ... and Jeeps. IMO, the reason why they're on Jeeps is because Jeeps generally have had bad gas mileage, especially on 4x4s. They're probably using CVTs to meet the government mandated class gas mileage limits.

I've driven only one CVT -- a Subaru Legacy. It was a very short test drive. I hadn't felt a transmission like that since the early '50s Buick Dynaflow. And I didn't like them, either. They were good winter cars though. You couldn't make the drive wheels spin, even in snow.

used:
1978 chevy nova [mileage at death] 230k
1984 chevy nova (inherited) 300k
1997 chevy malibu 275k
2002 chevy malibu 250k
2011 Honda Civic (my first new car) current rtm: 28k @18months
where yous all get the dosh to gadabout in all these fancy classic wheels is beyond me.
buy it cheap & run it into the ground is my mantra

FWIW, the last several cars I owned were driven into the ground.

199x Sable wagon: 100K+ miles and needed new transmission
198x AMC Eagle: 75K+ miles and got into accident
199x Buick Regal: 75K+ miles and got into accident
200x Chevy Malibu: 100K+ miles and needed several repairs
200x Olds Alero: 75k+ miles and had an electrical problem nobody could fix
197x Malibu: caught on fire
198x Pontiac Fiero: 50K miles and repairs exceeded value of vehicle. By a lot.
... and on ...

The aforementioned Nissan Sentra, the first Japanese-made car I've owned, was bought because a lot of Nissans can be driven into the ground and well over 100K is common. If I do get an Altima, it's because every other person on the freeway seems to have one :).

FWIW, there's this one on-ramp, at the loop 202 and Scottsdale road, around where I live, that's at about a 20 degree angle. The Nissan did NOT like accelerating up it. Even my overpowered Mustang (4.0 6-cyl, but rear-wheel drive) doesn't like it, tho.

Y'know, I should ask if anyone here has bought a Hyundai just because their cars are musical-themed (Forte, Sonata, etc.).

Had a ride (didn't drive) in a Porsche Panamera Hybrid the other day. TheI was amazed at how quick it is. No way I could afford one, but it's a very nice beast. Sounds good as the revs get up, and rides beautifully. Almost made me want to get into performance cars again. But.... sax first.

Had a ride (didn't drive) in a Porsche Panamera Hybrid the other day. TheI was amazed at how quick it is. No way I could afford one, but it's a very nice beast. Sounds good as the revs get up, and rides beautifully. Almost made me want to get into performance cars again. But.... sax first.
maybe we should list the horns that we've had ...

maybe we should list the horns that we've had ...
You realize that between Helen, Groovekiller and Paul Cohen (he's posted here), you'd have enough to start a dedicated website.

Here is a picture of my 1969 Buick Skylark Custom convertible. Ms sideC and I are pulling onto the show field of the Buick Club of America National meet in Flint, Mich. I had just cleaned the car up after the 750 mile drive from New Jersey.

Julian

I think I'd rather have a Riveria, or, one of the largest cars I've ever seen, an Electra 225.

Again, those two Regals I owned were two of the best I ever had. Of course, they're about half the size of the '69 Riveria or Electra ....

I definitely agree with Gandalfe: nice lookin' ride.

Thanks guys. I promised Ed that I would post a pic when I attended this show back in '08, so I guess the four year delay makes me the king of procrastination!

I've owned the car since 1978, so it's really become a member of the family.

We've just now returned from showing the car last weekend at a BCA regional meet at Troy, NY where we were parked next to a '73 or '74 boattail Riv, and the best of show award was won by a '59 Electra 225 convertible, the first year of the Electra nameplate.

Our most memorable show was the 2003 BCA National at Flint, Mich (Buicktown), where 2000 old Buicks showed up to celebrate the 100th anniversary of Buick. Buicks came from all 50 states, plus a few from Europe, and I met a couple who drove their 1931 Buick roadster all the way from Seattle Washington! The camaraderie amongst the Buick people was wonderful to experience!

Julian

Back
Top Bottom