Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Faces to best friends

About a year ago, we got another kitty. The story was that my wife and daughter 2.0 were taking in my other cat to the vet and the vet said, "Don't you want another kitty?" and shoved the kitten under my daughter's nose. So, yes, we got a new kitty:

IMG_0337.JPG

Yes, the kitten is lying on my vicious attack dog. The dog is 1/2 German Shep and 1/2 Dobermann, which I think I mentioned earlier.

IMG_0408.JPG

All of my animals are fixed, but the kitten is the only female. The black cat likes her a lot, but I haven't been able to take a picture of them grooming each other, so I'll go for "playing lazily."

IMG_0405.JPG

I think you could call this picture "Détente." It's been in the 40s (around 4C) at night and it's still cool in the AM when I get up ... then the sun goes right through my bedroom window. This is the first time I've seen ALL the animals on the bed at the same time. This only lasted for a few minutes for the canines ...

Key:
Blue/black dog: Ozzie
White/tan sausage dog: Duke
Black cat: Kitty (yes, he comes when called)
Tabby cat: Kitten (or "Mittens")

Here is a pic of Quinn and Morgan after a hard day of boating and swimming.

Attachments

• photo 3 (Medium).JPG
    photo 3 (Medium).JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 448
OK, it's been slow around here for a few days, so here is a dog picture. Quinn & Morgan with their "cousins" Ben and Quigley.

BTW, do you know how hard it is to get four dogs to look at the camera at the same time.

Attachments

• Ben Quigley Morgan & Quinn.jpg
    Ben Quigley Morgan & Quinn.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 323
OK, it's been slow around here for a few days, so here is a dog picture. Quinn & Morgan with their "cousins" Ben and Quigley.

BTW, do you know how hard it is to get four dogs to look at the camera at the same time.

That's easy. Just put a hot dog on top of the camera. :)

They were staring at my SIL, who had a handful of doggie treats. Whenever she tried to stand behind my brother (holding the camera), they would break ranks and run around in circles.

And the stuffing floating around the house from disemboweled toys. Definitely a dog thing.

I am really a dog person. That said, I am currently dogless. Our Mimi left us nearly a year ago. :emoji_cry:

172.JPG

I really do miss the borzoi's presence. If it were up to me, we would have two adorning our couch... However, since I'm not the one tasked with vacuuming, I don't get veto power.

Instead we have Peter--pronounced Pay-ta b/c he is a bilingual black cat. (Like me, German was his first language.) ;)

Peter is the most dog-like cat I have ever seen. Borzoi are quite cat-like, so with his doggie qualities, he is in someways very much like a borzoi. I joke about the fact that he might be one of mine reincarnated....

P1000016.JPG

1. I've already asked: the black cat, above is NOT named after me.
2. Borzoi. Nice dogs. They look really majestic running. My neighbors across the street have two, both have the same b&w "shading." They're service dogs.

Nope, Pay-ta was not named after you. He is actually Schwarzer Peter (Black Peter)--the traditional counterpart to Saint Nicholas. He's the one who leaves lumps of coal for all the naughty children.

I am still trying to figure out what kind of "service" borzoi might be used for. That is truly a head scratcher... Just sayin'...

I think the owner has some sort of physical disability (yes, I've met the dogs, not the owner). Carrying stuff, perhaps?

I can't imagine a borzoi carrying anything... It's just not in their nature. I am oh so curious.

Dog story.

So, yesterday I'm sitting in the living room reading a book. My two dogs are there, lying down by the open metal-screen door (still nice temps out in Phoenix). Suddenly, the dogs go apoplectic. I mean it. I think my little dog is about to have a heart attack. I'm not moving very fast at the moment, so I look out toward the dogs. The neighbor's Great Dane puppy is popping his head up in the window every couple seconds. Ah. That's the problem.

So, I grab my big dog's leash and chain collar and go out the side door to bring the GD back over to the neighbor's house. The dog just starts following me, no collar or leash needed. Probably a good thing as the "puppy" (8 mo or so) is already bigger than my big dog and my collar might no have fit. So, I drop the dog off, say hi to my neighbor and good deed for the day is done. My two doggies are then conked out on the floor for the next couple hours.

I like that: the dog was sufficiently interested in life outside his yard that she got out, then realized that "outside" can be a bit intimidating. She then went to someone she's met once before (me) who has dogs she's met before. Good doggie!

I am currently "fostering" a four-month-old white German Shepherd puppy. The pic below shows the puppy (38lbs, BTW), the more insane of my two cats, and my little dog. This was also pre-bath.

Her name is "Hope." The reason why I had fostering in quotes is because this was my oldest daughter's dog and she found out that huge dog + two kids + small apartment = not a good idea. We've been trying to get other people interested in taking her because a) we're now over the limit for animals at my house and b) when she's 80lbs of GSD, I'm not going to be able to take care of her because of my own health problems. My 50lb dog is actually too much, but he's a lot less active.

She's a good girl. Almost completely yard trained. Loves my blue doggie. Would like to play with small doggie, if small doggie wasn't bogged down in jealousy. Knows that cats have lots of pointy parts and it's just best to stay away from them.

IMG_0602.jpg

She is beautiful. Too bad they can't stay that size.

I haven't posted a picture of Quinn & Morgan lately. Here they are from last summer helping my friend Ray fish. They had just gotten their summer haircuts which is why they look so skinny.

Attachments

• Quinn & Morgan Fishing.jpg
    Quinn & Morgan Fishing.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 259
In case you were wondering what a shaved German Shepherd looks like ...

doggie.JPG

She's just shaved for the summer. Yes, I know it's April 11. We've had a couple days that were over 95F / 35C already. Desert life.

Our dear English Springer Spaniel Toby passed away a year ago last December. He was 16 and lived a very good life at least since we rescued him from the shelter at about age 2.

Since we have become very attached to the looks and personalities (dogonalities?) of Springers we ended up getting a black and white female. We named her Arabella---Bella for short and she has wasted no time taking over the family. The first photo was taken the day we picked her out of the litter of 11 puppies. The second photo is a more recent one after she turned 2 in February of this year. Since she barks every time she hears a noise outside, I think we should have called her "Bella Barktalk". :)

Springer Spaniel puppy.JPG
IMG_0169.JPG

What a great face. You can tell she has a ton of personality.

Our two Goldens turn nine next month. Where did the time go? I'll have to snap a picture.

Aurora has been with since just before COVID hit. She was a rescue and needed help, she was a pretty lost soul. It was over a week before we could get her to eat, but now she is a full member of the family and priceless. 715EB26F-091C-456C-A624-AB4586BAE74A.jpegA0D74FFE-09E0-49A6-BBB4-68ED6740A89C.jpeg

Carl, your dog looks like a Shepherd and something mix. Husky, maybe? Nice looking doge.

I've mentioned this to Helen in a couple of calls: my blue doggie has bad-looking gunk all over his face and ears. It started on the tip of his nose and that was normal: he's got allergies and that's happened every winter. It's just this time around was considerably worse, so we took him to the vet a few times. He was checked for cancer and that test was cleared, but the vet thinks it's an auto-immune disorder. Doggie will be treated with steroids and other stuff starting next week.

Thankfully, doggie doesn't act any different, other than scratching his ears a bit more. He didn't like the three days of the Cone of Shame while the biopsy site on his face was healing. He's still playing hard with his much younger, but larger, sister (she's the white GSD in my above post).

Back
Top Bottom