found on eBay .. someone need a metal adjustable Selmer barrel ?

hmm .. it say "LA" on the backside ... french for "A" if i recall. I wonder if it's the tuning barrel for the A clarinet.

Anyone on here has a set of these (stealing them under my nose on ebay a decade back) that could check ?

I won't mention Chris J's name either.

H'mmm...

...that's not a good thing. It might also account for the odd circumstance of availability of such an odd item - I've not seen one offered up before. We'll see...

Hi

Sorry to come in late on this - thanks for the nudge, Steve.

MY pair (sorry Steve...) are still on loan to Steve Howard for photos for inclusion in his Clarinet Maintenance Haynes Manual. I have emailed him to ask if the barrels might be interchangable. I will post as soon as I hear back.

I have a photo on my computer of the A barrel, though, and does have LA on the back:

Aclarinetbarrelshowingcalibrationlinescompressed.jpg

As an aside, I have just secured a Couesnon Monopole double walled metal clarinet - not in perfect condition, but looking forward to its arrival.

Now don't tell me you bid for that too, Steve...

Chris

I was just thinking you could get it for less money if buyers knew it was for an A instrument. I know it's a dice roll.

Terry

Perhaps, if it looks like it will fit and play, you should email the seller a question saying what a shame it is it is marked for an A clarinet and hope it is quoted on the auction, and put other bidders off...

Chris

Chris, did you polish the guage (show in picture below). Mine is mostly black but I worry about taking silver polish to that part of the mechanism. The rest of the instrument is pristine.

No, I just wiped the oil from it and it was like that. I would agree to take care to keep anything like silver polish or lint containing rags away from the mechanism.

But if it is well lubricated and can wind right out it might brighten just with vigorous ragging/rubbing with a clean lint free cloth, or even use a dry silver polish cloth carefully and accurately, then wipe clear and lubricate before winding back in

Chris

I used the dry silver cloth and 80% of the black came off. I used trumpet valve oil to lube. Since I don't have experience with buffers, we'll call this good. The black was below the line where the setting probably had been for years. It is where I set it too unless I'm in extreme climates.

As an aside, I have just secured a Couesnon Monopole double walled metal clarinet - not in perfect condition, but looking forward to its arrival.

Now don't tell me you bid for that too, Steve...

Chris

Nope, didn't bid on that one .. now if i knew it was out there ......

no problems though. But when you get the selmers back send them my way so i can borrow for the next 40 odd years +/- :)

Terry

Below is reply from Steve Howard:

Hi Chris,

They look almost identical, with the A barrel being perhaps
fractionally longer by around a millimetre. This might be due to a
little inaccuracy in the expansion tube (which you turn to increase
the length of the barrel). The A barrel is marked "La".

I would say that you could use either barrel - it doesn't look like
the bore is any different.

Cheers,

Steve

Curiouser and curiouser...

As suggested by one of the members, I have mailed the auction owner no less than two questions about the barrel in question (one that I thought was enough to ask, and one that was specifically pointed about what was stamped on the back of the barrel). Although both questions were answered promptly (and, in the case the second time, accurately), neither has shown up on the auction.

The question as to pitch was direct and "yes or no" in nature, and (if posted on the auction) would have driven away virtually every other bidder. However, it did not show up. What gives here?

Are auction owners allowed to hide that sort of information? As it is, I know what I want to know, but putting up that it is for the LA (or A) clarinet would drive away those who do not have such an animal or are willing to take a chance on it.

Well..

...then it seems that he is not being 100% open and honest with the buyers. Thus far, he has (after prodding) come across with an answer to everything, but only when pinned down on the issue.

A historical example:

During the administration of Warren G. Harding, there was a lot of chicanery (mostly financial but in one case involving an armed party of US Marines sent to Wyoming, of all places) going on behind the façade of all of that "normalcy". One instance of this was the transfer of a large number of Liberty Bonds (the WWI equivalent of US Savings Bonds) from one party to another in payment for services rendered regarding the fraudulent sales of US Naval Oil Reserves in CA and WY.

The bag man for one of these transfers was the then-Postmaster General of the US, one Will Hays, formerly a small-time politician. Hays, who would later go on to found the Hays Board that oversaw the motion pictures industry, conveyed many hundreds of thousands of dollars of these bonds to the parties involved, and actually laundered much of the loot through the Republican National Committee, of which he was also head.

When under the Coolidge Administration-era congressional investigation for his role in all of this, Hays was asked under oath whether or not he had conveyed cash in a given amount to one of the individuals involved. He answered "No!".

Later, when the existence of the Bonds had been proven (all that remained of them was their serial numbers and the transfer record - the bonds themselves had been burnt once they were redeemed for cold, hard cash), Hays was again summoned to Washington and asked if he might reconsider his earlier testimony. The Democrats in Congress felt like they actually had a Republican administration member on the rock for perjury.

Hay's answer was simple and direct as to his innocence:

"Nobody asked me about no bonds."

He skated free on the charge.

For many years, I used this as a teaching tool with my investigators when I worked for OSHA. When taking down statements, even the most innocuous of assumptions on the part of the investigator can come back to bite you; ALWAYS ask direct questions that can be answered "yes" or "no". It took a bit more time, and was certainly more tedious for all involved, but the ultimate conviction rate was much higher when following my protocols...

Sounds like a result!

Valve oil might be a bit thin for the long term.

I notice in one of Steve Howard's articles he overhauls a Conn microtuner. He reassembles with copper based grease

This article, fifth from last paragraph. http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/ConnMicrotuner.htm

Chris

I dunno about using copper based materials on anything with silver-plate on it (as these older Selmer horns were always silver plated). Some other extreme condition grease might be a better match.

Both metals are very reactive, and I would be concerned that the copper would "steal" other corrosion elements (like sulphur) from the silver and deposit in the workings of the tuner. Lithium, being another quite reactive metal, might pose the same problems.

Back
Top Bottom