found on eBay .. someone need a metal adjustable Selmer barrel ?

I now have it in my hands...

...and it is as flawless as described by the seller (after considerable prodding my part with questions).

It is the standard, Selmer stamped, fluted metal barrel typical of the period. On this specimen, the sliver plate is intact, and the tuning mechanism works, albeit with some urgiing. It is dent free, particularly at the lower (double tube). More importantly, it is not corroded to within an inch of its life, as have been most of these of my acquaintance.

My (industrial machining) Vernier caliper can only measure the inside diameter of the "tuning tube", the portion that moves up and down in the clarinet bore. It measures 0.5795 inches (with the blades of the caliper being a slip fit in the bore at that point.

The upper end accepts a standard Selmer mouthpiece. (I forever hope that I can score a Selmer metal mouthpiece for these horns.) I haven't dug out the horn yet to see about the fit, but it looks like it is identical to my other (pipe wrench jaw damaged) barrel.

Since I trend sharp on clarinets (particularly when playing the bass at the same time), I can stand a longer barrel on a Bb instrument. (I have used my A barrel on the Bb horn when playing orchestral stuff, the better to allow for horn changes, and it functions as well or better than some of my Bb barrels.) When I get the time, I'll pull out my metal Selmer and see if it all fits together right. (My A barrel also needs the tightening screw, but I'll pirate the one from the damaged barrel for that.)

It is a nice solid piece o work, much like the clarinet for which it is intended. Those old "pro-level" Selmer metal clarinets are head and shoulders above most others from the period - the trick is to find one that hasn't been corroded or beaten to death.

And, never use a pipe wrench on a stuck barrel...

The one thing I always say about vintage horns with rather unique names is, "If it doesn't specifically have a stamp that says 'LP' or 'Low Pitch,' it's probably high pitch. In other words, mostly unusable." You can't even go by how old the horn is, anymore. I heard a rumor that some Dolnet M70 saxophones -- made in 1970 -- were available as high pitch.

The one thing I always say about vintage horns with rather unique names is, "If it doesn't specifically have a stamp that says 'LP' or 'Low Pitch,' it's probably high pitch. In other words, mostly unusable." You can't even go by how old the horn is, anymore. I heard a rumor that some Dolnet M70 saxophones -- made in 1970 -- were available as high pitch.
The one I have is in much better condition and is A=440.

By the way, I "won" the auction, got the barrel, and had the horn overhauled. It works just fine with the LA barrel on the Sib horn, although I don't have much call for metal clarinet playing.

Back
Top Bottom