Keep and fix, or go with new.

Hi everyone,

I introduced myself in the new people thread and so here goes my first post.

I played the clarinet all through the school years, 17 years in all on a regular basis. Now I haven't played it regularly for about 20 years. I have one son who is in his 3rd year playing clarinet and another who is in the first year of playing oboe. My son playing the clarinet seems to play very well and wants me to play with him. So, I have the itch again and really want to play, and we have a community and symphony bands here. I still have my old clarinet. It's needs some work but would probably be playable again. It's a wooden Noblet, so probably a student clarinet. No other markings are readable. Is it worth cleaning and repairing or should I consider something else. I'm remembering one of the reasons I stopped playing was I did not like the sound I was getting any longer, and wasn't ready to buy another.

Ok, so if you recommend I get another one, what do I buy. For my budget it would definitely need to be less than $500, especially since I'm getting ready to buy an oboe for my son.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!!

Keep the Noblet and have it checked with a cost estimate. They're good instruments, and if for some reason you find you've outgrown it, you can still sell it. Better invest in a decent mouthpiece.

Only if the clarinet is a student model and it's waaaay too expensive to repair, then get a different instrument. (I'd recommend a cheap used Yamaha YCL-34, but that's just me.)

+1 on getting a good mouthpiece. I use a (now rather expensive) Selmer C85/120, but it sings on just about any clarinet I've played. You might like, for instance, the Vandoren B40, which I upgraded from. There are also lots of vintage 'pieces out there that other forum members highly recommend.

Hi Debbie. My wife (SuzySax on this forum) decided after hearing me practice and joining a community band that she would try again. She had a Selmer Signet all the way through high school and that thought it would be fine. But I'd brought a Buffet R-13 Festival for her to try and she wondered if it made any difference.

So rather than argue the merits of the better sound, superior keyworks, etc. I just had her play a scale on the Selmer Signet while watching a tuner. Then we did the same on the Festival. No comparison, the Festival was spot on. The Selmer was not. She was sold and now plays Eb, Bb, C, A, alto, and bass clarinet. She also plays soprano, alto, tenor, and sopranino sax too. And she is not working on oboe.

Selecting a mouthpiece and reed combination took a little longer as everyone has different needs based on the kind of music you want to play, physiology, and air stream characteristics. So you might want to try a number of mouthpieces. Fortunately Suzy's instructor had many to try and Suzy was able to select one that worked for her.

Key here was that she takes lessons again. If she was sitting third chair and not playing in jazz band then maybe she could get by without lessons. But if you really want to become good and willing to put in the time and money, lessons are the way to go.

Enjoy.

Having your old clarinet put into good playing condition shouldn't be too expensive.
I would say use it while you get back into playing. It still may be all you need for what playing you do.
If you decide after a few months or so that you really need something better, then start shopping around.

As much as I bleed little Selmer logos when cut, I have to say that a Noblet horn is a quality instrument if in good condition, and should be all that any decent player needs. Invest the money in an overhaul and a mouthpiece, and spend the rest on lessons.

The OP says that they have 17 years of playing experience.
What would make you guys think that MORE lessons are needed?
Maybe they can already play circles around you.

In my experience, if you played relatively well throughout Jr/Sr. High, you don't need lessons to play along with your kid. You don't need lessons to play for personal enjoyment in a Community Band.

H'mmm. 17 years here in the US of A would indicate that they played for four years of primary schooling, four years of high school, four years of college, and four of graduate school plus another year of schooling on either end. Lotsa time there - maybe we should be asking them questions.

On the other hand, anyone with that much time on a horn should know a bit more about where the Noblet brand fits in the grand scheme of things. In fact, it is almost incredible that they would have escaped the grasp of the Buffet mafia in such an educational program and still be playing a intermediate level horn when they pulled down their PhD.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that we're not talking to someone with a doctorate in clarinet performance here.

And, no matter what the level of training we're talking about here, being off of the horn for that long means that a lot of the finer points have slipped out of the memory. I know people who have been playing for almost three times as long who still take lessons, so the original poster may benefit from them as well.

Re-beginning!

Take your Noblet, get it checked out and start playing! This fall I myself, also a newbie here on this forum, started playing again after over 35 years of total inactivity - with my original instrument (1952 Selmer Centered Tone). BEST decision I have made in a long, long time.

I practiced like crazy for a month before community band practice started in September, had played through college and was above-average. Frankly, I am now playing better than ever before in my experience - I think that maturity and concentration makes a real difference. Our band is high quality, but certainly not of national importance. We play grade 3-4.5 music and have fun. I play 1st clarinet. IT CAN be done and has been done by many. I am sorry it took me so long to understand this.

BTW- check out current E-Bay prices for good Noblets - they range from $100-$500. And they seem in demand - so keep your current clarinet and play. Have fun.

It is interesting to me how many people who return to the clarinet and sax come to realize that they weren't as good as they had thought in high school and such. Maturity and a better ability to focus can remedy that given lots of of time in the woodshed.

Respectfully SOTSDO.

Perhaps the new poster, like me, started playing the fourth grade! And simply played until undergraduate college ended - with NO illusions regarding actually making a living from the instrument. Playing again in a community band, perhaps four concerts a year, FREE concerts for the public. Why take lessons again? Play your best at whatever skill level obtains.

My message is that for we total amateurs? Playing your best at the lowest clarinet seat in a section is better than not playing at all. Many of us are playing simply for enjoyment - we are not concerned about having to play gigs in order to earn money. If the audience seems happy, so are we.

Not trying to raise a storm here SOTSDO - just thought that your most recent reply on this thread was not in tune with the original posters inquiry. :)

H'mmm. 17 years here in the US of A would indicate that they played for four years of primary schooling, four years of high school, four years of college, and four of graduate school plus another year of schooling on either end. Lotsa time there - maybe we should be asking them questions.

On the other hand, anyone with that much time on a horn should know a bit more about where the Noblet brand fits in the grand scheme of things. In fact, it is almost incredible that they would have escaped the grasp of the Buffet mafia in such an educational program and still be playing a intermediate level horn when they pulled down their PhD.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that we're not talking to someone with a doctorate in clarinet performance here.

And, no matter what the level of training we're talking about here, being off of the horn for that long means that a lot of the finer points have slipped out of the memory. I know people who have been playing for almost three times as long who still take lessons, so the original poster may benefit from them as well.

There are many players out here in the real world who don't give a rats behind about where their instrument fits in the grand scheme of things. As long as it plays well what more do they need.

The ones who continue with lessons well into adulthood,,, well that's a personal problem. Some of us find that raising our families and providing for them are far more important than a few luxuries. And trust me when I say that lessons ARE a luxury when you are raising children today.

Once you get playing again those 'finer points' that may have been forgotten find their way back.

Too many snobs make it hard for players who have taken a bit of time off to get back into playing. The last thing they need is for some jerk who doesn't have a clue as to their ablilites or financial status tell them that they have a crap horn and should take lessons.

Tammi, I didn't mean to offend you so. I recommend lessons for all my friends and family. The ones that take the recommendation go a lot farther on their instrument than most. But then here in Seattle we are blessed with many great bands and a decent economy. We also have so many fine musicians that it just makes me want to be a better player.

If a family or friend can't afford lessons, or a new mouthpiece, or a new instrument so be it. But if this is going to be one's hobby, think of what some people pay for boats, cabins, and the like. Getting a nice instrument, paying for lessons and traveling to play with other bands is a great way to go for some.

I do feel like a lot of musicians who only practice when they show up for band, don't take care of their instruments, and can't play their parts are wasting a lot of peoples time. It you are doing all of that and can't play your part, then that's okay. But to not invest the time to play even the easy stuff is just kidding's ones self wouldn't you say. I suspect that if we talked real time, you would find we really are closer to agreeing than not.

Passionate I've been called, but a snob. I'm sorry, I just don't play well enough to be a snob. ;-)

Last edited:
OK- need to know!

Gandalfe = SOTSDO?

If so, please so acknowledge. And, hmm, if so - WHY the duplicity?

And - if not the same? Why respond in place of the intended?

I am personally VERY versed in internet forum "politics" - did not envision these happening regarding the playing of the clarinet. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

I agree, Tammi!

Given the choice of spending money for an oboe for one of your aspiring children - OR spending money on lessons for you to play in a community band?

Really - this is a no brainer for those of us here (like the originator of this thread - hello Debbie!) who seem to want to play music for enjoyment, rather than for total involvement.

The last private lesson I had was in the eighth grade - WHY- because (a) my sisters had then gotten old enough to deserve some of my family's limited financial resources; (b) I myself understood that I was not going to become the next Reginald Kell; and (c) my talent WAS good enough to allow me to continue playing AT THE LEVEL I CHOSE.

And today:tonight? At age 61, having reconnected with a playing ensemble after 35 years of vacancy? Please do not try to tell me that I should employ a private tutor to teach me how to enjoy playing the clarinet. Technique is NOT the issue for we amateurs. Uh- mordant versus gruppetto? Who the heck really cares at the non-professional level? [Yes - I know the difference and attempt to play thereupon. But, if I miss a few notes herein? It matters not in the least!] Alternate trill fingerings? Hey - just last night I checked one of my "books" to establish that my ancient memory WAS in fact still correct on a normal 17/6 Boehm. Guess what? My ancient memory HAD indeed remained true. Learning and enjoyment are not dependent upon private tutoring once one has achieved a modicum of competence.

Now?: If I was trying to make a living by playing professionally? Yes, lessons, best instrument possible, etc. WOULD be an issue. But, playing in a community band and getting true enjoyment for this "gig"? Nothing is required except a willingness to participate.

Hi Debbie.

Although I now only play sax, back in the distant past (geez, that makes me sound :geezer1:) I played clarinet in high school and university. Although there's been a lot of back and forth said on this thread, one message that hopefully did get through the noise, is that the Noblet you have might very well be worth fixing, and all you really need for the kind of playing you would like to do.

Here are my 2 cents: Check around and get the name of a reputable repair shop in your area & get a tech to check your clarinet for what it needs. If it seems a bit out of line, or like it's too much, you might want to check with another shop for a 2nd opinion, just to be sure.

If you go ahead and have the work done, as someone mentioned already, a good mouthpiece will likely improve the tone & make you happier with your sound. You might want to hold off on that for a little while though, and redevelop your clarinet embouchure first.

I think it's great that you're getting back into playing again after taking so many years off. Only you know your circumstances, and will be able to decide for yourself, how best to achieve your goals. Community bands are a great way to get back into playing with people, and taking lessons is not required to play in them.

Other than the basic math issues involved (most third graders don't have the finger reach to play a regular Boehm clarinet), the only message that I would want anyone to take away from all of this is that a Noblet clarinet is (if well maintained) a good enough instrument for anyone, pro or amateur. It's a better horn than most of the intermediates, and I've known any number of pros who play them. (Not me, though - for me it's Selmer Series 9 or nothing at all.)

(For the record, I play a little soprano clarinet these days (mostly shows with a very little community orchestra work), somewhat more bass clarinet (shows and sub work with orchestras paid and unpaid), and a lot more baritone and alto saxophone (with my group). I put in about ten hours a week, both performance and practice (very little of that). I've got an A clarinet that accompanies my Bb soprano everywhere, but seldom comes out of the case.)

To improve the quality of anyone's clarinet experience, the closer you get to the north end of the mouthpiece, the greater the influence. There is a strong tendency to look at the horn as the thing to work on to improve one's clarinet playing. This was, and is, the wrong way to go about it. It's also the most expensive.

In general terms, the barrel has more influence on the playing than a well maintained horn, the mouthpiece more than the barrel, the reed and ligature more than the mouthpiece, and the next item in line (the player) more than any of the others. Sure, it's a generalization, and sure, a flaw anywhere along the line can bring the whole affair down in ruins.

However, practice (and, for those who have the time and money, lessons) will make more of a difference than any of the others. They both are cheaper than new reeds, new mouthpieces, new barrels and new clarinets (assuming all of these are in good repair).

I've encountered professional sax players who were wizards on the clarinet as well, but who had (being saxophone players) never bothered to truly learn the instrument. Not knowing about "one and one" had hampered them for years - something that you pick up on in perhaps the tenth lesson that you take. And, someone who's been away for a long time may have dropped a few of these tricks over the years.

Some community groups, particularly concert band type groups, are pretty forgiving of someone who comes on board with minimal skills. I have encountered such groups over the years, and while they aren't up to "pro" standards, they serve as a useful outlet for the player who doesn't have time for practice.

However, most of my acquaintance are a bit more "demanding" of the horn players than a "come as you are" concert band. Groups like the Compton Heights Concert Band (up in Saint Louis, has been around for many years) would show you to the door if you came in unprepared.

The community orchestras around Houston are that way as well - with limited seats for clarinet players, they are very selective about who they let occupy them. It may be different in your neck of the woods, but the phrase "Practice makes perfect" certainly applies in these cases. In the two that actually pay money, you would be expected to handle both A and Bb parts (or bass parts), and to have the transposition skills to deal with the periods performed, when you first sat down to play.

What about the "professional musician", a term that gets abused a lot? Well, iffen you get paid, then you are a pro (at least in the eyes of the IRS, an excellent benchmark for judging such things). Most folks who make some money at music do it part-time, as it's unrealistic to play professionally (for most folks) and still have a decent standard of living. (I'm retired, after just under forty years with the government.)

While none of the guys and girls that I use are Morales-level players on clarinet, all have the skills necessary to handle the charts that we play that have clarinet parts. (All are very proficient on sax - I've also got a doctor of clarinet performance in the group when he can make a job. I've even had one guy who played a Noblet plateau clarinet, and I paid him just the same as the others.) And, that's what we have to expect when we get paid good money by clients who want value for money paid.

Push comes to shove, there are all sorts of points on the wide spectrum of clarinet playing, and (most importantly) anyone playing a well set up Noblet soprano horn can occupy any of them. There's no need to invest in the ubiquitous R-13 for any of these situations, much less for casual playing. And, almost anyone would benefit from a few lessons (if they can afford them, both in time and treasure) if they have been away for more than a few years.

Gandalfe = SOTSDO?

If so, please so acknowledge. And, hmm, if so - WHY the duplicity?

And - if not the same? Why respond in place of the intended?

I am personally VERY versed in internet forum "politics" - did not envision these happening regarding the playing of the clarinet. :emoji_rolling_eyes:
Please reread my response; it's pretty clear. This isn't about politics. It's about a difference in opinion. And I would trust that our good friends on this forum, and the staff for that matter, could agree to disagree without calling each other names.

Writing in a forum can be very difficult and a lot of writing comes across more harshly than intented. But usually there is more to a question than one answer. It's okay, I think, to push the envelope for a new musician. And it's okay to disagree. Let's just not try to hold it against each other.

Push comes to shove, there are all sorts of points on the wide spectrum of clarinet playing, and (most importantly) anyone playing a well set up Noblet soprano horn can occupy any of them. There's no need to invest in the ubiquitous R-13 for any of these situations, much less for casual playing. And, almost anyone would benefit from a few lessons (if they can afford them, both in time and treasure) if they have been away for more than a few years.
Well said. I guess given the climate of this conversation we could leave it at that.

I apologise for my outburst.

None of the comments or remarks were aimed at anyone here.
They were gripes in general based on personal experience.

I shall now put myself in time out.

Back
Top Bottom