Mazzeo system fingerings

They came in three flavors...

The Bundy was the bottom of the line, pretty much a standard Bundy horn from the era with the Maezzo mechanism, a clutch pin on the upper joint, and the plateau key for the LH thumb, plus the unique Maezzo bell.

The Signet was a Signet (mid range price) wooden horn, with the same system but apparently a lever to flip. I've never seen one myself, but there's one up on eBay right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Selmer-Signet-B...ultDomain_0&hash=item256336508c#ht_500wt_1156

The Selmer models were standard pro instruments. I've seen them both with more or less "standard' 17/6 keywork as well as in a "full Boehm" model. Same bells, same alternative fingering for the break, with the same clutch pin as the Bundy model.

As I've said before, most of the Bundys appear to be missing the clutch. Certainly the two I attempted to buy, along with another four or five that I've inquired about, were in that sad condition. The Selmer ones are typical Selmer high end craftsmanship. i dunno about the Signet.

In my fifty-six odd years of clarinet playing, I have yet to encounter anyone who owned (or plays) one, and have only met a few folks who have played someone else's. Not a good percentage there.

The main problem with them is that you have to abandon all resonance fingerings for the throat notes. If you can undo years of training pointing towards that technique, you might be able to adapt. Smart money says that you can't though.

I have a spare Bundy clutch in my drawer, as well as a ready-to-transform back Bundy in my closet.
The only challenge consists in finding the coil-sprung-ball adjustment screw for the clutch. (and old Biro or an ball bearing would probably do for a replacement)

I am now the owner of a pair of Mazzeo Series 10's A & Bb that I received a few weeks ago...Maybe because I'm a new clarinet player (started on Clarinet, moved to Sax in 70's then sort of still played clarinet & then...long story) , I don't see the down side of this feature, I appreciate the assistance it provides in transiting the break. (Actually, I really find this feature to be very useful!)

Everything works on these clarinets. I have a signet that I won on an EBay auction that will arrive shortly...

I have advised the seller that if the Mazzeo is not functional, then I will return it, and she is OK with that because she isn't certain that it is functional.

There are dozens of clarinet keywork designs. It's an accomplishment to get a company to pop that design onto one of their horns and sell it, much less get a really high-end manufacturer like Selmer to do that. However ... convincing folks that something new is better than what they've been using for 125+ years is a tad more difficult :D.

Back
Top Bottom