Mouthpiece Suggestion

I am looking for a mouthpiece that would be good for playing pop music and eventually jazz.

Any suggestions would be appriciated

Edit: Should have said more of R&B than pop

Last edited:
Comme: I'm guessing that subjects such as yours are addressed somewhere else on this forum - basic issues about new players, new forum members, and equipment questions.

But, to save you some searching (which you really should do), I'll add my advice - mouthpieces are highly personal and what works for me probably will not work for you.

Others will probably ask questions about your age, skill level, experience, what you use now, and maybe most important - what size of a saxophone are you playing . . . sopranino or contra-bass? You could provide that info - I checked your personal profile and saw nothing there.

Bottom line? Only you can select a mouthpiece and all the recommendations in the world may not lead you in the right direction. What you should do is take your horn and your current mouthpiece, along with a selection of good reeds, to a music store and begin the testing process. That's what I did when I was 17 years old and wanted to upgrade my mouthpiece (on soprano). Best of luck in your playing career. DAVE

Hi comme. Welcome back. It's been a while. Are you still playing the Strauss alto? Is that what you're looking for a mouthpiece for?

At the time, you were using the mouthpiece that came with the sax. Is that still the case? Or did you get something new since? What are you currently using?

Tell me a bit about what your current set-up is: Mouthpiece/reed/horn. And also, what the sound is your trying to achieve.

I sometimes use different set-ups for rock and jazz, depending on the horn. Now you say pop and eventually jazz. What is the tonal concept you're striving for in pop? Can you think of a player, or a song that features a sax, so that I can get a handle on what you're aiming for.

Thanks for the replies

I still (sadly) have my Strauss alto and the mouthpiece and will hopefully be looking to upgrade my sax once I graduate in May.
The mouthpiece I have now is I guess a standard rubber mouthpiece with Rico Royal #3 reeds.

I am honestly not sure how to describe the sound I looking to achieve but I will look for a recording and post

I do not have a band teacher or instructor at this time, stopped band like 7 years ago when I graduated high school (and he was a trumpet player who directed a church marching band so no help there). So that's why i'm asking here.

Are you still playing the Strauss alto? Is that what you're looking for a mouthpiece for?
Ah. The Mark VI-ish clone horn.

Well, I hope you got the horn fixed up! I think that's waaaay more important than the mouthpiece, at this point.

==========

I'm somewhat non-traditional in my approach to mouthpieces. In my opinion, you should still go for hard rubber, not metal and I think that a Selmer Soloist would still be an extremely good choice. Personally, when I'm playing jazz, I've used a Berg Larsen and that had served me well on a wide variety of makes and models of sax.

Do you have a music store near you that might let you try out some 'pieces? I'd hate to say, "Get this mouthpiece!" and then find out that you just can't play on it.

FWIW, I'd like to see your current mouthpiece.

Additionally, I echo all the previous comments from Helen, Dave and Gandalfe.

It is always fun to get into the equipment search, especially if you can afford it. But if money is tight, I'm guessing you could improve your situation a lot cheaper by exploring different reeds, reed-cuts, and strengths. I've found that some of what I thought were my worst mouthpieces (I have boxes of 'em) actually played decently when I experimented on them with different brands of reeds and spent some time adjusting various reeds (shaving them down a bit). Specifically, I've made some cheap mouthpieces play pretty good with Fibracell (synthetic) reeds.

I have a newer Selmer Soloist F alto piece but it seems kind of stuffy alongside my Meyers, Super Session F, and a Sinta mouthpiece I got from Ed Svoboda. My Sinta with a Vandoren ZZ#2 is my favorite alto set-up - works on my vintage and modern altos just fine. YMMV. DAVE

Now that Long & McQuade has replaced Music Stop, have you noticed an improvement in the available selection?

I'd echo Dave's comments on the Fibracell reed, but then I'm biased, since that's all I use. You'll want to keep an eye on prices though, because they're pretty expensive in Canadian music stores--L&McQ included--compared to US ones. However, once you factor in shipping from the States, prices tend to level out. If you're only buying 1 reed to try, then buying through your local store might still be the best option if they have the strength you want in stock.

As far as mouthpieces goes, I echo Pete's hard rubber comment...Especially for alto sax. It's too bad that the new Metalite mouthpieces by Rico aren't available yet for alto sax. Those, for some reason, are the last model to come for sale. The bari, tenor, & soprano pieces have been available for a few months now. Last time I checked the Rico website, a couple weeks ago now, the altos were still not showing up.

You might check with a local Rico mouthpiece dealer to see what the current status is on the new Metalites. I have an old one for alto, and it seems, based on what you're describing, it would be an ideal one to try out anyway. Best part of all, they are inexpensive. I don't know if Long & McQuade sells Rico mouthpieces in Halifax. I know the flagship Vancouver store doesn't. Perhaps one of the other music stores in Halifax sells them... That is if L&McQ hasn't put the other stores out of business yet.

Another Rico mouthpiece you might try is the Graftonite, but the C chamber version. The C chamber is the small chamber. The Graftonite is an inexpensive mouthpiece as well. While you're at it, give the B chamber a go too, and compare them.

Thanks for the reed suggestions I'll look into picking up one of the fibracell reeds this weekend if I can find it.

As for the improvements in selection of saxes I'm going to have to say no. Even on their website Long & McQuade has little or nothing in woodwind selection (soo not a Jupiter fan), if you go into the store near me there is like walls upon walls of guitars and basses and all the woodwinds are kind of lumped into a little section where they sell the sheet music and accessories.

As well they are the only music store that I know of to get woodwind instruments and accessories all others are folk music or just guitar stores. Apparently Buckley's music closed its doors this summer, found that out when I came back up for school.

I'd heard that Buckley's was closing their doors. I didn't know that it had already happened though. That's too bad, because some competition is always a good thing. It would keep even the big kids on their toes a bit.

What kind of shape is your sax in? Does it need some work? Who has been repairing it for you? Regardless of what mouthpiece you play, a leaking horn is going to be an uphill battle.

I heard that my former tech has moved away, so I don't even have someone I could recommend. Layne was always fair, because he worked for himself, rather than a music store. I sent all my students there and he always treated them right.

We have another member on this forum from Halifax who I think uses a tech who has a private shop. If you do need someone, let me know, and I'll poke Rory, and get his input.

My sax is visually a bad shape, sound wise pretty good, but I do have air leaking somewhere.
Was able to afford some lessons last semester for a while at L&M and the guy there did notice leaks.
The only problem I know off hand would be my inability to play my low ranges, the instructor even tried on my horn and he had to fight to even produce a sound

But any help on repairs would be great

Yah, when I have to fight with one of my student's horns to produce a note, then I wonder how they are able to play it at all! Yikes. It definitely sounds like some leaking happening. You might be looking at a few pads too; that could be adding to the misery. I've asked Rory about who he uses a tech, so hopefully he'll be able to offer up some input.

Looks-wise, who cares what your sax looks like. It's what it sounds like that counts. I think I mentioned this before, but I've got a couple of the ugliest (in collectors eyes, and perhaps in some uninformed players eyes as well) saxophones going. But when I step onto the stage, none of that matters. The cosmetics of the horn are forgotten about because all the audience hears is the the sax, not the looks.

That's what i figure as well, if I can get it to play well then I don't have to worry about investing in a new horn for a while
As for the low notes that cant play, its only low B C D E , its odd but I've kinda gotten use to not playing them, when I find sheet music that has alot of those notes I just skip them.
It makes no sense to fight to get notes I know my horn will not play :emoji_rolling_eyes:

Have you been able to determine exactly what is wrong with your saxophone? It may be asking too much of a relatively inexperienced player but I suggest you closely examine every pad and tone hole, from top to bottom, including the co-ordination of the octave mechanism (both upper and lower octave vent) and the closing of the middle G# pad.

It is simple to do once you understand how the mechanisms work. You just may discover that the upper octave pad is not fully closing or that the G# pad is rising ever so slightly - things like that. If you could jury-rig a leak light, you may be able to actually find the leak - and maybe even fix it. Something as small as a hair stuck on the tone hole can give on fits. DAVE

I have no clue as to what is exactly wrong with my sax, all I do know is that I do have leakage can't remember where though (was told by an instructor I was seeing for a while)
I do not feel confident as an inexperienced player to do this on my own so a tech would be appropriate in this matter.

Not trying to be sarcastic, but picking up your horn and looking closely at it is pretty easy stuff. You must pick it up to play it - why not lay it on your lap and look it over? I can't remember how many times I've done that and saved myself a trip to the tech - and I am not a mechanic by any means. DAVE

Dave, with all due respect, Comme has already said that someone at the music store where he took lessons last summer, noticed leaks. I think the horn's leaking problem has been established.

I think we need to respect Comme's own understanding of his strengths and weaknesses, and accept them & support him as a player, at the level where he's at. Granted, that can be hard to do in an on-line format. In this case, the best option, IMO, is to refer him to a competent, reasonably priced tech in the area--something that I'm working on at the moment.

Still, I wish someone like Dave had told me about using a leak light to find leaks in my horn. I think it opens opportunities to change the way a musician thinks about the musical instrument they are using.

Hey, it's fragile, needs constant care in the best of circumstances, and in top form will serve you much better than if there are leaks. This is especially true as you explore voicing sound, long tones, and special effects like creating the growl or altissimo.

Now if a student has no desire to explore the mechanisms associated with their instrument, that can be okay too. And things can change as one matures.

Let's get the whole Admin and CE staff involved!

FWIW, there are pictures of the horn in the album that Helen's mentioned.

[Admin_Hat]

I understand where Helen's coming from -- check out the thread regarding YAGEs. I also think that if you establish that a) the horn is in need of repair and b) the player says that he wants a new mouthpiece, I believe that it should be stressed that the user may be better served by getting the horn fixed, first.

Further, I think that's what we're ALL in agreement on. I can poll that, if necessary. I also think that Dave and Gandalfe do have a point: if you've got a car and there's smoke billowing out of the hood ("bonnet"), you want to direct the mechanic to look in that area, first. However, I am a computer tech and sometimes I have to go with, "Computer broke. Please fix." When that's the most you've got, refer the user to a competent tech who won't rip him off. Helen is taking that tack and is obviously in more-or-less that area, so she might know a competent tech that won't rip him off.

Alternately, you can STILL forget about the fact that the horn needs repair and just say, "Well, here are some mouthpieces you might try to satisfy what you're looking for, tonally. However, your own mouthpiece might not be that bad. Let's take a look!" That's why I tried to cover all the angles in my initial response. Thoughtful, ain't I?

Again, everyone is trying to be helpful. Just keep that in mind.

Finally, FWIW, I respect the opinion and advice of everyone in this EXTREMELY highly, because I've worked with all of 'em and/or posted with them for years. I strongly recommend taking all their advice to heart.

[/admin_hat]

(By the way, I've worked on probably a half dozen computers in my 25 years techie experience that HAVE been billowing smoke.)

Back
Top Bottom