Mouthpiece Suggestion

Hey Comme!

I'm in Halifax.

I've got a Pop/R&B style alto mouthpiece you're welcome to try if you're looking for a different sound. Send me an email at rleitch@dal.ca.

I'm no tech, but I'd be happy to have a look at your sax if you want an opinion. You can find me behind a JD on the rocks every Sunday night at Bearly's where I jam with the house band.

I'm also planning to be at Economy Shoe Shop monday night. Rob Crowell will be playing my super gorgeous copper Beuscher with his quartet. Rob is so good he will make you die!

As far as techs in town go, the closing of Buckley's did cost us a good one. My guy is Marius Kowalski. He's amazing, but very expensive. If you give him your alto, he'll want to make it perfect and take a large pile of your money in exchange :).

There's another very good option in Rob MacIntosh. His company is Mackysax and he's in Dartmouth. Awesome guy, very fair price-wise, and a very good tenor player.

http://www.mackysax.com/

If you are serious about playing, though, IMHO you really want to put your cash into a good horn that you can feel good and confident about. Good altos are ridiculously cheap right now, especially with the exchange rate so high.

BTW: a top line Jupiter alto is a great pro saxophone. Our man Merlin smokes on them!

Rory

ps. not all good Canadian jazz musicians are named Rob, but many are.

Thanks for all the info guys, and to Dave I really didn't take offense to your comment so I'm sorry if it came off that way.

I do agree that there should be some understanding on how your instrument works, and hopefully I'll be able to do that some day.
I am that way with my electronics, need to know what's wrong and try to fix it myself if possible before I end up to a professional.

As for rleitch I will try to make it to Bearly's this weekend if not I'll email you

Back
Top Bottom