Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Pete's 1st Time eBay Experience

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
EDIT on 02/20/2011:

I decided to move this and change the name of the thread. At the very least, I do think it's an interesting look at how eBay works.

===========

Well, I'm stretching the rules on non-instrumental postings just a tad because I wanted y'all to take a crack at it before I put it up on eBay in about a week (which would also be my first eBay ad). Hey, it's musical, right?

7-8 month old iPhone 3GS. 32gb. Black. USB and wall chargers. Original earbuds. Original box, even. Heck, it's probably still under warranty. Incipio Slicrylic cases (one white, one black). Some extra screen protector sheets.

NOTE: this iPhone is jailbroken (Blackra1n) and unlocked (Sn0w). 3.1.2 firmware. It works fine with iTunes, App store, etc., just doesn't have a SIM. If you sign up for phone service at AT&T or Verizon (next month), you can get one. Third-party prepaid ones are also available.

Why I'm selling: I'm getting an iPad on Friday. I've got other MP3 players. I've never used it as a phone; I've got a company Crackberry

If you have any questions, please PM me or send an e-mail to thesaxinfo@gmail.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ooops. Didn't read your whole post. I'll back up a bit.

I've got an acquaintance that has a jailbroken iPhone using a T-Mobile connection, both data and voice. I think it's more like, "Call up the provider you want and then see if it's gonna work." Or, you can do like I did and just use it as an iPod and/or install a bunch of games on it. Or install Skype to make calls. There are a lot of options.

RE: Verizon, if their network isn't compatible with the iPhone 3gs, my guess is that it will be. There are an awful lot of folks that love the iPhone, but dislike AT&T service.

Anyhow, I've got an Apple flyer hanging next to me. Verizon service will start on Feb. 10.

t-Mobile is a GSM network, so your iPhone should work with them - of course, what features etc may work or not work I have no idea.

all the noise out there is how the Verizon iPhone is not compatible with the AT&T iPhone and one can't just use the AT&T one with Verizon. Thought it might be a far warning for anyone buying it that currently has Verizon.

I use TruPhone (sometimes) on my iPod. But then I have metropcs unlimited everything ... hoping the verizon iPhone works with metropcs !!

No problem, Steve.

I, myself, have not been following the Verizon vs. AT&T stuff because ... I didn't care. There are two reasons: my Crackberry is Verizon and my company pays for their service. They're not switching anytime soon. Secondly, because I never got and never wanted phone service on my iPhone, there was no reason for me to follow their trials and travails of Verizon vs. AT&T.

FWIW, I hopped on over to AT&T and they have data plans starting at $15. That'd be kewl with Skype as your phone service. Or get full service. AT&T even has online videos on YouTube where people take in used iPhones and get them SIM'med and ready to go.

Well I've gotten four e-mails from scammers that wanted to pay me between $350 and $700 if I ended the auction NOW and sold to them. Overseas, of course. And they want to pay by bank draft, rather than PayPal ....

Oh. BTB, I think the opening $ amount is competitive. I did scan some other ads and, unless the poster was foolish enough to not put a reserve (a couple folks) and start at $0, they're going for $350+.

Interestingly, the "jailbroken" moniker should be placed on ALL the iPhones that are being sold, because the sellers are not selling devices with SIM chips. In other words, unless someone says "jailbroken," you're going to get a big glowy paperweight until you go someplace and get a SIM. Hey, even the company I was thinking about selling the iPhone to says in all their e-mail verbiage that SIMs should be removed before sending in the iPhone.

I wonder if the folks buying these on eBay know that.

Well I've gotten four e-mails from scammers that wanted to pay me between $350 and $700 if I ended the auction NOW and sold to them. Overseas, of course. And they want to pay by bank draft, rather than PayPal ....
I always tell them that the person picking it up needs to bring $5,000 USD cash security deposit. and that person needs to surrender their passport, drivers license or car title. Then they need to cash the check at a local bank at their expense. Then I will return the passport, license or car title to them.

i usually don't get a response

I'm sending out robotic, "Item is for sale on eBay. Please bid there," responses. Hey it's POSSIBLE that one of them will be valid :).

Oooh. I got a bid! From a real person!

This is kinda fun. My wife's after me to sell some other stuff, if this ad works as described.

I'm on spam e-mail #20 or so. I'd *assume* that people troll eBay night and day to find folks to spam. Either that or I want to find out which program they're using.

Well, hopefully. Right after the auction, I got an e-mail from the seller:

Dear seller,
I'm the winner of your item and to let you know that i am sending the item to my Cousin who presently now in one of west Africa country on missionary program im buying the item as Surprise Gift i have contact post office for shipping cost to Africa by first class delivery and i was told is about $100 dollar.i will be adding the $100 dollar to the money for shipping and handling fee because i want the item to be sent Via first class delivery USPS{EMS}Express mail Delivery.just to let you know that i have confirm my cousin address with PayPal. please get back to me with your PayPal email address to confirm your PayPal email before i send the payment via PayPal or you can send me a payment request from PayPal asap.i should have done this by my self but i am out of the state to Canada for work and the item is needed urgently Thanks.

Jessica.

Sigh. I'm calling up eBay in a bit to find out how long I should wait for payment before I can relist the iPhone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe you can offer to the 2nd highest bidder instead of re-listing. They might be a missionary going to Cuba.

I think Gandalfe mentioned the $5K thing in another thread ....

Anyhow, I called up eBay. The user has 4 days in which to pay. No payment, I file a claim. That takes another 4 days and, provided there's no other problem, I can relist it.

(I did find one other problem with my account. It had me funding everything in Euros. Took a call to eBay to fix that, too.)

Now, it's POSSIBLE that this is all legit. However, I informed the user that I will not ship to any address other than what's posted in his profile (Florida -- maybe I can get one of y'all to check it for me). If he buys it an re-ships it, I don't mind. Hey! There's a phone number in there ....

Pull the mini-memory cad

The phone number will go away if you pull the small memory card with the tool provided with the phone. The user has to get a new one of these in any event, so it's not a liabilty

Back
Top Bottom