Pierret Madness

I was most surprised to find out that Yani made flutes at one point. I actually wonder if they were also stencils.
I'll see if I can re-find the pic. It's buried in my trove of Yanagisawa sax research.

I do think it's possible that the flute could be a stencil, but I doubt it. If Yani always sold stuff through distributors -- Zen-On and Prima Gakki being the big two -- I'd think that buying a stencil, stenciling the Yanagisawa name on it then distributing it through another company is too difficult to be cost effective. However, there are several high-end Japanese flute companies I can think of off the top of my head and maybe one of them thought that having "Yanagisawa" on 'em was better than Sanko or whatever.

On the topic of Keilwerth, etc. making brasswinds, I can easily see the sense in that: my baritone saxophones had more brass in them than most of the trumpet sections I've worked with. However, being able to work with brass doesn't necessarily make you into a great trumpet maker :).

Well, I am a bit bummed. The Pierret alto was hardly as described, with a couple of dents, a pushed-in keyguard post, pushed-in thumb rest, F# keyguard hanging on by a prayer, and (I suspect) non-original neck. I've tried it with my original Pierret neck and there is not much difference, so perhaps it is original--I don't know.

On the plus side all the keys are tight and functioning, and it plays enough for me to know that it is (or could be) a damn nice horn, and silver plate is like 98%. Since I only paid $300 it is probably worth putting it back together, but I'm going to put it on the back burner for awhile, and stop buying instruments from unknown sellers on eBay...

So now I am a happy camper again. I got another Super Artiste on eBay (for $440) in excellent condition and playable as it stands. Some plating wear but the horn is almost dentless and the mechanics are pretty much perfect. So I think the other one either gets binned or I keep it for parts.

So now I have two playable Pierret altos, one Modèle 6 and this SA, plus the other SA 48, all made around the same period, and some interesting things have come to light.

First, I'm guessing that the serial numbers are not model specific. The 6 is in the 12000s and the SA in the 14000s. It seems unlikely that they had produced more SAs than 6s, which is a much older model.

General design on these horns is identical except for a few things. All three are "Art Deco" models. The 6 lacks a G# trill, and the G# is not clutched to the plateau keys. The design of the guard feet is a bit different as is the lyre holder, and the shape of the RH pinky keys is different; otherwise these two horns are identical.

The trashed SA 48 (could the number refer to the year?) has a C-D trill, and the side C is different than the other two horns. On the other two is is a single straight key sprung with a flat spring. On the 48 it is a key attached to a long axle sprung with a needle spring. It has a foot at the the other end that keeps a spring key on a separate axle closed. Hitting the key lowers the foot and allows the key to open. This obviously is better in terms of key play. Otherwise this horn is also identical to the other two.

Of the two that play, they are both very nice playing horns, but different. Compared to my Cigar Cutter both are a little less fluid feeling, but they are very solid and responsive, with great projection. The SA seems to have a bit more "depth" to the sound, but the 6 is very front and center.

So now I think I have enough Pierrets :)

So now I am a happy camper again. I got another Super Artiste on eBay (for $440) in excellent condition and playable as it stands. Some plating wear but the horn is almost dentless and the mechanics are pretty much perfect. ...
So now I think I have enough Pierrets :)

You can never have enough Pierrets... Or any other saxophone or sax-like "thing"... IMHO of course. :emoji_smile: ... Says the queen to too many saxes. :wink:

Seriously though, congrats on your latest Pierret find. I know how disappointing the last one would have been for you, so this purchase would have been especially sweet.

As for the differences between your 3 horns, I whole-hardheartedly agree with your assessment that the #'s likely weren't model specific. I've thought that for some time as my collection of images in the Pierret gallery of Bassic Sax Pix has grown. We now have a lot more images to draw our conclusions from than we did way back in 1999 or so when Pierret first hit the Internet's radar screen.

I've wondered about the SA 47& 48 designation for some time. I have wondered as well if it wasn't their production or perhaps their design year.

The differences/similarities you mention are interesting. It would be nice to see them. Would you be willing to share some images of your horns for my Pierret gallery? Even your damaged one would be of value, since I only have a couple of pics of a 48, and they don't show much detail.

Helen, I will do so, but I only have a few days left to spend in Japan until next January (gotta be in China for visa reasons) so it might have to wait a few months.

The 48 has, oddly enough, no serial number. I just noticed that the octave mechanism is also slightly different than that on the other horns. And my mistake: the side B key is not double sprung: it is a fork with the lever of the keycup fitted in between. It would be interesting to see the second incarnation of the SA (with the more intricate bell/body brace and "bridge" type neck brace) to see what else changed.

I found a selling site in France that always has Pierrets for sale. Unfortunately it is in-country only (you have to fake a French phone number to send an e-mail to the sellers) and so far no one has answered any of my queries (in French) about possible international shipping. The French are so....French....

BTW that Hammerschmidt tárogató should be on the way. I will give you a report when it arrives. I really don't need another tárogató, but at $1500 it is a steal and looks to be every bit the quality of a Stowasser.

Just a reminder that a lot of French-made horns have serial numbers in extremely odd places. I've seen them between toneholes (E and D), under keys, on the bell-to-body "joint," and on the lyre holder. It could even just be scratched on the inside of the neck or the neck receiver. I also seem to remember that Millerau had the serial number underneath a pad.

Back
Top Bottom