Plot (and musical) questions about Urinetown

SOTSDO

Old King Log
Staff member
CE/Moderator
I've seen the show, and I've downloaded the musical tracks from iTunes (something I have seldom done thus far), and I know that at one point Mr. Barrel (the subordinate policeman in Urinetown) reveals a "terrible secret".

My question is, just what is this "terrible secret"? I don't recall it being mentioned when we saw the show, and we had seats good enough for me to lip-read, so close were we to the action. There's no clue in the music from the show, and I don't have access to the booklet usually included with the CD (a major disadvantage of downloaded music, in my opinion).

So, can someone help me out here?

Also, when we saw the show it was one reed and one brass in the pit orchestra. On the CD, there are times when I hear two reeds playing. Which version is the correct one?

Pit calls for one reed book. Bb/bass clarinet, Sop/Alto sax. One brass book, Trombone, Bass Bone, Euphonium.

Lockstock comes up out of the sewer and there's dialog between him and barrel. As he's about to descent back into sewer, Lockstock says he loves the people. Barrel then goes and professes his love for Lockstock.
What Jim said.
Done the show twice from the pit, by far one of my favorite musicals.

I still have copies of the reed book if you feel like perusing. Some wicked cool clarinet licks in there klezmer style. Some really really good writing and the voicing is done really well between the ww and brass

That was what our production had. I'll spend some time with the recording again; trombone playing can be deceptive and sound like a saxophone under some circumstances...

As for the professed love, I missed that entirely. I think that the two policemen (Lockstock and Barrel) were up on the scaffolding at the rear of the stage at that point, so it may be that my lip reading was not up to that distance. Thanks for clearing it up for me.

And, the Poor are revolting, aren't they? (snark, snark, snark)

saxplayer1004 do you still have a copy of the reed book laying around?

Back
Top Bottom