Rovner (and similar ones) Ligature for Contrabass and Contralto Clarinets...

Out of curiosity, are rovner ligatures "specifically designed" for CBC mouthpieces the same size as Bass Clarinet rovner ligatures? I am asking this because I bought a BG L92SR Super Revelation Contrabass Clarinet ligature thinking that it would be big enough to fit snugly on my BBb mouthpiece, but not to the point where it would just barely be big enough. When I received the ligature, to my disappointment, I found out the latter to be true. It looks like it's the same size as a rovner Bass Clarinet ligature. There is even printed (on the inside of the ligature) "Contra Bass Clarinet". The ligature itself looks like a rovner ligature. Any answers to my question are appreciated.

For what it's worth, there is tremendous variation in mouthpiece sizes. As an example, I played a mouthpiece on baritone sax that was wider than many bass sax mouthpieces. That also meant that very few ligatures fit properly. If it doesn't fit, I'd recommend sending it back and trying another.

The Bb contrabass clarinet I had was a Leblanc "paperclip." I used the stock mouthpiece and ligature that came with the horn.

If you happen to have a Linton mouthpiece, those are quite odd and I doubt you'll find anything other than the stock ligature will fit.

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's why, on the rovner ligature website, it prompts the buyer to specify the make and model of one's mouthpiece when buying a CBC ligature - or any ligature for that matter. I guess ebay is not a very legitimate source to buy ligatures, seeing how they do not bother asking what rovnerproducts.com asks.

eBay is really good if you know exactly what you want.

You still might want to contact the person you bought the lig from. If the eBay'er is a music store or has more stock, you might be able to work out a swap. If not, you could always put it on eBay yourself :).

The Rovners are perfectly adequate ligatures, as long as they are a good fit for the mouthpiece. Try to use a standard for clarinet Rovner on a crystal mouthpiece (or on a standard size and taper German clarinet mouthpiece) however, and you will find that the Rovner is - um - "somewhat less than flexible".

The problems with the Rovner ligature on other that 100% standard clarinet mouthpieces, along with a chance encounter in the household accessories aisle of a Schnuck's supermarket, are what led me to design and perfect my Reedwrap™ ligature back in the 1980s. It offers the vibrational flexibility of a classic string ligature (the point of the Rovner as well) in a form that retains the shape of the mouthpiece/reed combination (the main problem with the classic string ligature), but in a configuration that allows it to fit an infinite variety of mouthpiece designs, tapers and materials (something that the Rovner, along with every other ligature on the market, including the woven string designs, just cannot do).

For that matter, the Reedwrap design goes one step further. If you purchase one long enough to accommodate (say) a contra-bass saxophone, you can use the same ligature on various single-reed mouthpieces all the way down to the Eb clarinet. (I never tested it with the Ab horn, but I imagine that it would be a bit cumbersome with all of that unused length wobbling around your chin - so, Ab clarinet players should stick with one custom made for their horn.)

In emergencies where someone's sax ligature broke at its single screw attachment point, I have fortunately been close at hand to rig them up with a spare Reedwrap from my clarinet case, no matter if the horn was a clarinet, an alto, tenor, or even a baritone sax. It's just that flexible (which is a pun upon its original, "as responsive as string" purpose). Try doing that with a Rovner and see how far it gets you.

I slacked off of marketing my invention (US Patent 4,796,507) when I moved down here and took up a management position (which cut into my ability to attend the annual conventions held by the ICS), but I still sell a few a year to teachers who got hooked on them early on. Of course the patent has since expired, so anyone wanting to produce same is more than welcome to try. Good luck with that…

Back
Top Bottom