Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

TheSax.Info and Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraisers!

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
TWO DIFFERENT calendars. I don't want to confuse you, much :).

Here's the deal:

1. I will still be doing a saxophone calendar, like I've done every year since 2006. This calendar is ~primarily~ a community service for folks that want me to publish really nice pics of their saxophones. It also raises a little cash for me and my other sax-related endeavors.

2. The Woodwind Forum calendar will be a complete fundraiser (see http://www.woodwindforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1233). Yes, artists will still have the option to get a share of the profits, but I won't get any. (The only funds I'm going to get are to pay for the cost of proofs.)

-> Yes, you can contribute pics to both calendars or either. <-

Details in the following posts!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's the quick details:

You send me a picture of a woodwind (for the Woodwind Forum calendar) or a saxophone (for TheSax.info calendar) in an artistic style. I edit said picture and put it in a calendar.

* You can send to thesaxinfo@gmail.com. I can handle up to 10mb attachments per e-mail.
* If you wish to snail-mail me instead, send me an e-mail FIRST and we'll make arrangements.

You also MUST fill out and SIGN a release form (available at http://thesax.info/release.pdf -- e-mail me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com if you need a copy and can't download it). I don't mind if you scan it/take a picture of it for me and e-mail it or if you snail-mail it to me, but it needs your signature: Lulu, the calendar publisher, *will not* publish the calendar without a release completed for each of the pics submitted.

Additionally, because I haven't modified the form (yet), please specify which calendar you're wanting to submit pics for -- or I'll consider you for both calendar projects.

Deadline for submissions will be September 1.

Trying to Answer All Questions ...

The below is slightly different than what I've posted in the past ...

======

Picture Requirements:
As big as you can take. Lulu, the publisher, wants at least 2625 x 3375 pixels at 300 dpi and preferably 4125 x 5775 at 500ppi. For all submissions, including if you can't take pictures that big, please send me multiple EQUAL SIZED pictures and MULTIPLE POSES of your horn.

a. Use a light-colored or softly-bright (i.e., not "neon pink", but "satin") background. Dark colored backgrounds do not print well; please don't use them. For an example of what I want, check ANY photo on http://www.vintagesax.com.

b. Again, please submit *multiple pictures* of your horn in different poses. Recommendations are:

--> Left side portrait of the horn.
--> Right side portrait of the horn.
--> Close-up of the engraving/stamps.
--> Close-up of lower half of instrument, featuring the keywork.
--> Close up of upper half of instrument, featuring the keywork.
--> Close-up of whatever feature you think is nicest/most interesting.

Please do not include people or copyrighted sheet music in your pictures. I have to reject those submissions.

c. There is no c.

d. I don't mind mixing makes and models for the calendar, nor do I mind mixing and matching VINTAGE or MODERN horns. Woodwind-related pictures (for instance, toys) may be considered, too.

========

SHOW ME (well, you) THE MONEY
* The BASE price for a 12-month calendar is $19.95 for the 13.5" x 19" size and $11.30 for the 11" x 17" size (as of this moment. If these prices change, everything else will). I will, of course want to make some $ selling this, and I've kinda settled on $4.00 US. However, note that this DOESN'T mean that the final calendar price is $23.95 and $15.30, respectively, http://www.lulu.com receives a commission on every sale, so the final price will be higher.
* Profits for the calendars will be split 33/66 -- just like in the past -- between the artists and Ed or me (depending on the calendar). That means the artist that wants a share of the profits will get about $0.21 per month included per calendar sold. Hard to get rich on this, but it is a much higher % for the artists than on the 2006 Calendar. And you can say that you're a published photographer. There's A LOT to be said for that.
* People published in the calendar will have an opportunity to buy a calendar direct from me at a $4 discount -- details will be available to each artist included after the calendar is produced.
* According to http://www.lulu.com, royalty payments are done QUARTERLY. I'll get the check and disburse to the artists generally at the end of February/beginning of March.
* You get FULL credit for the pic and retain the right to use your pic someplace else. You also will have the opportunity to *put a caption on the calendar*, which can include a non-adult website or business address. Example from my 2008 sax calendar are at http://www.thesax.info/2008%2Dcalendar/, to give you an idea -- heck, one guy even posted his PayPal account.

==========

Important Final Notes:
* All submissions may also be considered for future picture projects. You'd get profit from any of those, if you so wish and you're included. If that is unacceptable please note that on your release form or e-mail me.
* I will not have a "stock" of calendars. Lulu publishes the calendars only after orders are placed.
* While I'm a nice guy 'n' stuff, your order will be placed through Lulu and everything else will be handled thru Lulu. If you have any problem not related to a picture or the content of the calendar itself, you need to contact them.

BTB, if anyone has a significant Woodwind Event to put in the 2009 calendar -- and that could be some woodwind player's birthday, concert, patent filing, whatever -- please post here and I'll definitely include it in the calendar. The sax calendar only has saxophone events and I haven't really looked into generic woodwind "special events".

Hey, only you can make the calendars more kewl.

I have Adolphe Sax's birthday/National Saxophone Day listed (Nov. 7) and the anniversary of the saxophone patent (March 21) -- although there are other "official" A. Sax patent dates.

Hmm... maybe Eddie Daniel's, Benny Goodman, and Larry Comb's birthdays? Do we have a start date for Conn, Buescher, Couf, and Selmer businesses to name a few? I'd luv to see composer Philip Glass's name on the calendars too. :D

I've got the entire performance of Glass' 4' 33" embedded into each calendar: all you have to do is look at it for 4' and 33" ....

Yes, I'll do one or two "custom" dates for anyone that contributes pics to the calendar (for instance, I included the Queen of Denmark's birthday, last year), but I want to keep the other custom dates to woodwind-specific (for the WF calendar) or sax-specific (for TheSax.info calendar).

TheSax.Info calendar does have birthdates for Buescher, Martin, Conn, etc. I looked really hard for birthdates from the Selmer and Buffet clans, but couldn't find 'em, much less actual company founding dates. If you've got 'em, post 'em!

Buffet-Crampon - 1836
but pre-Buffet-Crampon 1830, or 1825 (original date)
but we're probably looking for a particular month and day ......
can't Pete just Google it ??

http://www.clarinetperfection.com/snclarinet.htm#Buffet

In 1825 a French ?luthier?, Denis Buffet-Auger, established his workshop right in the heart of Paris. He quickly became well-known in the music world for developing of the excellent 13-key clarinet. At that time, clarinets were entirely hand-made, which required a wealth of experience and craftsmanship.

In 1830, Jean-Louis Buffet (Denis? son) took over the business. He married Zo? Crampon in 1836 and so the famous Buffet Crampon brand name was created. The logo used today first appeared in 1844.

Louis-Auguste Buffet (Jean-Louis? uncle) met the clarinettist Hyacinthe Klos?, a virtuoso musician and a teacher at the Paris Conservatory. These two men, the technician and the artist, worked together. They took the idea of movable rings which the German Theobald Boehm has developed for the flute and adapted it for the clarinet. First exhibited in 1839, this new system was very successful and in order to meet the demand, the Buffet Crampon factory was built in 1850 in Mantes-la-Ville. As early as 1866, Buffet Crampon was producing its first saxophones, 20 years after the invention of this instrument by the Belgian Adolphe Sax.

SteveSklar said:
Buffet-Crampon - 1836
but pre-Buffet-Crampon 1830, or 1825 (original date)
but we're probably looking for a particular month and day ......
can't Pete just Google it ??

http://www.clarinetperfection.com/snclarinet.htm#Buffet

In 1825 a French ?luthier?, Denis Buffet-Auger, established his workshop right in the heart of Paris. He quickly became well-known in the music world for developing of the excellent 13-key clarinet. At that time, clarinets were entirely hand-made, which required a wealth of experience and craftsmanship.

In 1830, Jean-Louis Buffet (Denis? son) took over the business. He married Zo? Crampon in 1836 and so the famous Buffet Crampon brand name was created. The logo used today first appeared in 1844.

Louis-Auguste Buffet (Jean-Louis? uncle) met the clarinettist Hyacinthe Klos?, a virtuoso musician and a teacher at the Paris Conservatory. These two men, the technician and the artist, worked together. They took the idea of movable rings which the German Theobald Boehm has developed for the flute and adapted it for the clarinet. First exhibited in 1839, this new system was very successful and in order to meet the demand, the Buffet Crampon factory was built in 1850 in Mantes-la-Ville. As early as 1866, Buffet Crampon was producing its first saxophones, 20 years after the invention of this instrument by the Belgian Adolphe Sax.
Mmm. Those aren't dates. Those are years. :p

So I've submitted the only pictures for this project so far? I've submitted:

1. 1880 piccolo with ivory head
2. 1800 boxwood clarinet
3. Matched set of Leblanc Symphonie VIIs (A & Bb) in rosewood
4. tárogató
5. Soprillo sax
6. Bass Sax to low A

So it looks like this calendar will not be a success. Pity. I luv these works of art that surely wouldn't happen without many, many hours by our intrepid Pete. :cry:

Oh, I'll make do with the sax calendar. They are way cool too. But this would have been a nice production to gift and save. I actually framed some of the pictures like the Silver Sonic King sax from the 2007 calendar.

Hey Pete. I went to Lulu looking for the 2008 calendar. Did you publish an 08 ? If so, are they still available and where can I find one ?
I already have the 07.

At this moment in time, with one month to go, I only have Gandalfe committing pics to the WF Calendar. That means that there will be no WF calendar.

Or Gandalfe has to step it up and submit more pics :).

Also, at this moment in time, there will be a TheSax.info calendar. I do have sufficient submissions for that, although I will be e-mailing some folks.

Jim: I sent you an e-mail about lots of stuff. However, I didn't get pics of the boxwood clarinet.

Is there anything in particular you are looking for?

Maybe you guys could give some advice on how to take decent pictures of horns.

How about a shot of 100+ mouthpieces? :emoji_smile:

The sum total of my photography knowledge is in http://www.woodwindforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8970&postcount=3 -- although Jim asked me to critique his photos and make some suggestions. I did, but they aren't "generic" suggestions.

I would be amused by a shot of 100+ mouthpieces, if you can do it in an artistic way. Seriously. It'd be outstanding if, for instance, you could work in all the pitches of sax (or at least SATBB) in the background, too.

=========

Regarding the WF calendar, if I start getting submissions for it AFTER this year's due date, I'll just hold them until I have enough pics for a calendar. No biggie.

I would be amused by a shot of 100+ mouthpieces, if you can do it in an artistic way. Seriously. It'd be outstanding if, for instance, you could work in all the pitches of sax (or at least SATBB) in the background, too.
That be a cool picture, 100 mouthpieces. One of these days I mean to get my SSCsSACmTBBa stack in one picture.

Back
Top Bottom