Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Using D# key on flute

t's been 30+ years since I last played the flute. I rented a Yamaha flute from the local music store so that I could relearn it. I also own a Maestro open-hole flute. I noticed that when I play from low staff E up to above staff C (two lines above the staff) on both flutes, there is no change in tone quality when I depress the D# key. Just to make sure I'm playing the notes correctly, I played them using the TonalEnergy tuner. I don't see any difference in tone quality if I don't depress the D# key. What effect does pressing the D# key have on tone quality? If none, why depress it?

When I was learning flute, there was a lot of that extra fingering stuff that was *supposed* to make the note speak better and/or, for some flutes, make the note be in tune. As a doubler, I usually discounted most of that, but then I wasn't a soloist or playing with other flutists. YMMV.

When I was learning flute, there was a lot of that extra fingering stuff that was *supposed* to make the note speak better and/or, for some flutes, make the note be in tune. As a doubler, I usually discounted most of that, but then I wasn't a soloist or playing with other flutists. YMMV.
I'm a little late-to-the-clambake (this thread) but when I was learning flute (as a doubler in college) I decided to go all-in on the flute...so much so that when I bought my step-up flute (Gemeinhardt solid silver open-holed) I immediately threw away the plastic caps.... It was funky in the beginning; in-line open holes, D# key, F#, etc. but coming from clarinet/sax world I figured that I'd be best to bite-the-bullet and do it.
I am actually happy that I took the time/effort to do it. I have since played many gigs with other "real" flutists and can hold my own..... If I played F# with my RH middle finger I would be dis-owned by the other flutists - lol.

On my C flute: When I play my top-space E natural adding the D# key raises the pitch around three cents when I meter it...
..and yes, I just re-confirmed it a moment ago.
On that particular note the change in intonation is noticeable by ear.

I can't hear 3 cents, so I'm cool continuing to use it for balance. I can hear a slight timbre change though, but it's negligible. It took a lot of practice to train myself to do it correctly, so I'm not going to stop now.

For me it's not that noticeable as vibrato covers it, but when I play the note (mentioned above) no vib it feels like it "leans" sharper..

Getting back to my premise, if not for balance, why does nearly every fingering above D include it? I bet it doesn't raise F and above 3 cents. Also, would you not find middle and high C more difficult to play without the Eb?

In any case, the balance thing is not my idea. It's established pedagogy. I was just surprised nobody in the thread mentioned the actual reason the key is used in so many fingerings.

Back
Top Bottom