What's more ridiculous... $400 for a mouthpiece or a handbag?

$400 mouthpiece or a handbag?

• $400 mouthpiece

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • $400 handbag

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Both

• Neither

• Soprano saxes rule.

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Pete shouldn't be allowed to play with poll results.

Votes: 1 8.3%

• Total voters
I don't think he has any.
Megen will find any out shortly after the wedding.

I'm a fan of dive watches too, but the really cheap ones. They are so handy when grilling. You always know exactly when things need to be turned.

Tammi, he has no dive watches?
tongue2.gif

Last edited:
No Dive watches.

What do they have to offer for guys entering the Air Force?

Carl: i use the rotating bezels on my watches for timing the BBQ. No sauerkraut for me, thanks. DAVE

No Dive watches.

What do they have to offer for guys entering the Air Force?

I think Dave and I agree on this, he needs one to keep track of time when grilling , oh yeah, parking meters too.

That's a good idea for Christmas.
I'll get Megen a $400 purse so she doesn't feel cheated.

I think Dave and I agree on this, he needs one to keep track of time when grilling , oh yeah, parking meters too.

I picked up a Casio Pathfinder PAW-1300 last month as I was going to be doing some camping and wanted a new toy. The watch has five alarms, a stop watch, a countdown timer, solar powered, and syncs the atomic clock. It also has a temperature sensor, barometer, and compass. I've decided that it is the ultimate in BBQ watches.

Most of the time I wear a Seiko "Orange Monster" that my wife and son gave me for my birthday. The Seiko is a 200m dive watch and the bezel comes in handy for timing various things.

I've worn a watch since the late 80's when I was in college and like being able to glance at my wrist for the time rather than pulling out a phone. I also think watches can be an interesting look into the person wearing them.

I suppose purses are the same for some women. It's an insight into what's important to them in terms of fashion and style.

I'm in trouble then. I carry a basic black leather over the shoulder kind of thing. Function over fashion.

It's what I call a general purpose 'Crap Sack'. Only big enough for a snall day planner, check book, a few pens, and a small address/phone book. It was less than $30 too.

Mrs H. never has carried a purse. Once little dude is older we will stop with the diaper bag too.

I used to wear watches, but they were always getting damaged, or damaging instruments. Once I got a cell phone I stopped wearing watches. I do occasionally carry a pocket watch on a carabiner. Handy for gigs because it doesn't make a sound and looks right too.

Re: Watch madness,

I happen to be very fond of pocket watches and clocks. I don't care for wrist watches, although I still have the one given to me as a HS graduation gift a zillion years ago when dinosaurs still roamed the planet.

For better or worse, I have an electronic tether called a Crackberry. I have no desire for BOTH a pocket watch and a Crackberry and the latter device both tells time and is a passable cell phone.

However, I didn't pay for it: company stuff.

Many years ago, one hobby of mine was coin collecting. I put a few hundred $ into that, but I knew that if I wanted to possess the really shiny coins (like gold eagles, double-eagles and the like), I would have to pay thousands of $. And, to me, while I thought some of the coins were beautiful, havening one with an "O" mint stamp didn't exactly make my hearp leap like a puppy trying to get at my 4-year-old's bowl of Cheeze-Its.

I actually sold my coin collection to buy my first professional sax: a Buffet Dynaction alto. Sold that for $800 in the late 1980's.

Tammi: From what I've heard, Breitlings are the hot ticket for Air Force pilots - could be wrong, though. I know they are favored by Los Angeles County deputy sheriffs.

My oldest grandson just started the Air Force Academy and wants to be a pilot. If he gets his wings, Papa might hand down his Breitling as a reward. DAVE

My everyday driver watch is a new Citizen Eco drive. It's charged by sunlight, so it's very low maintenance, and is a pretty fancy timepiece.

My dive watch is an old Rolex Submariner. I got it new back in '87, right now it needs an overhaul, so I'm using the Citizen.

There is a pretty colorful story as to how I came to own my dive watch. Back in 1987, I had just purchased a new '87 Lincoln town car, and was looking to sell my very nice '80 Cadillac sedan deville. We worked the road a lot back then, and I liked a large car with a smooth ride and a large trunk. My friend, a bassist who always coveted my Caddy, had just returned home from a long European tour with one of the top name jazz pianists of the day. The tour promoter was so happy with the business the tour generated that he presented each band member in the trio with a new Rolex watch. So when my friend returned home and saw my Caddy for sale, he offered me the watch in trade for my car. I went for the deal. Nice old Cadillac in trade for a Rolex watch. Sounds like something out of a B movie.

I see the poll is fixed :emoji_smile:

Okay, back on topic (I think). Me and S.O. had alittle discussion about the handbag in question. She could not understand why I wasn't as trilled as she was about it. First, I said it wasn't my color (it's brown not black) nor could I even fit my curvy soprano in it. I told her I didn't care how she spent her money. Just make sure she saves and makes purchases wisely. Especially considering today even the most basic stuff is so expensive.

I'm biased, but I don't think an expensive mouthpiece is as much a waste of cash. It's only a waste if it's not put to good use. That handbag is going to end up in a closet soon.

In the spirit of trying to stick on topic... I'm going for neither, only because I don't carry a purse, and even if I did, I can't see myself spending $400 on one. And I have never spent $400 on any m/p, and again, I can't see myself doing that either...Now watches....Mmmm that's a different story....:emoji_rage:

I too have weakness for watches. I think at last count I was at around 12 or 13. :oops: On the up side, I do have more saxes...Although I'm not sure that's something to be proud of, or seek a self help group for. :-D

Back
Top Bottom