Search results

1. Al Stevens

"Old" Barone

Two small strokes. One at Christmas time and the other about two weeks ago. The walk is mostly what was affected. I walk funny mostly in the morning. And I'm wired for sound. Some kind of bionic monitor. Also some memory problems. The first stroke impaired my piano right hand for a few days...
  2. Al Stevens

"Old" Barone

Back to my old Barone. After a period of inactivity due to a problem with equilibrium (couldn't stand up without a cane) and endurance (just couldn't play for very long), I returned yesterday to the Barone sax/Barone mpc combination that started this thread. Other than for sounding like...
  3. Al Stevens

CE Winds

"We build..." We are attaching too much significance to the meaning of "build" and neglecting the meaning of "we." "We" is a plural pronoun. It means more than one entity. In this context, "we" are the company itself and whoever fabricates and assembles the product. And whoever tweaks it...
  4. Al Stevens

The Upgrade Thread

Be still, my harp.
  5. Al Stevens

A Discussion About YAGE

The first stored-program computer I programmed was an IBM 650. That was in '59 as I recall. 1K Drum memory. Vacuum tube logic. The programming language was called SOAP II, which was an assembly language. I still have the programmer's manual and the operator's guides.
  6. Al Stevens

A Discussion About YAGE

Although YAGE seems to be well-known to users of forums such as this one, a google search does not return the definition we use, so I would not feel left out on that one. I recall that I had to ask the first time I saw it on another forum. Abbreviated acronym and emoticon usage originated in...
  7. Al Stevens

SOTW's down. Are we currently Number 1?

Contrary to popular belief, software doesn't self-destruct or otherwise deteriorate upon the release of a new version. Unless its execution is dependent somehow on external components retrieved at runtime, the old php/sql code should still work and you should be able to go back. Assuming you...
  8. Al Stevens

Any Idea when Finale 2011 will come out?

I upgraded to Finale 2010 from 2004. The linked parts and chord symbols in empty measures features were worth the cost of the upgrade.
  9. Al Stevens

A Discussion About YAGE

Tammi, if you can see this, I love you, and I miss you. Since you left here and I am persona non grata the other place where you post, we have become like "two stones that pass in the night."* * Seriously, a woman said that to me once. A blonde.
  10. Al Stevens

A Discussion About YAGE

This episode causes me to reflect. We had a disagreement a while back about encouraging children to participate on this forum. I learned privately that my position was not a popular one. Now, to me at least, it has been reinforced. (Probably not fair to base it on only one episode, though.)...
  11. Al Stevens

Why Jazz isn't more popular

The -, > and ^ articulations are handy for telling the sections when a note should be long, short, etc. It isn't always obvious just from the note values themselves or the phrases. The o and + marks in brass sections typically associate with use of plunger mutes.
  12. Al Stevens

band website

Thank you. The webhost is something called "lunarpages." One of the other band members got the domain registered and set it up. I designed the site and coded the html/css. Another member did the logo. Yet another did the photography. It's been a collaborative effort.
  13. Al Stevens

band website

Community Band of Brevard http://www.communitybandofbrevard.org/ I did the website for the band.
  14. Al Stevens

P. Mauriat

As will I.
  15. Al Stevens

But it's all we have. Big band players know to put a swing feel on lines. In fact, the notation has to tell them not to do that when the arranger wants, for example, straight 8ths. Listen to the typical community concert band playing some pops arrangements. If the conductor doesn't know how to...
  16. Al Stevens

That's the best news I've heard all day.
  17. Al Stevens

I hope you aren't naive enough to believe that. That announcer has no clue about why and how those guys came to evolve a new form of jazz.
  18. Al Stevens

So why are instruments named alto, tenor, bass or whatever?

Because George, Charlie, Fred, and Tom were already taken.
  19. Al Stevens

There were no jazz programs in schools when I was there. There was no jazz on the radio or TV, either. We learned from records and by listening to other players. Many jazz greats came out of that era, and formal education had nothing to do with it. Jazz is not "popular" now and was not then...
Back
Top Bottom