Need a part

Last edited:
I used to have a copy of "The Marching Moron's" by Kornbluth in my office as manditory reading for the staff. Maybe I'll have youse guys read it. It is, after all, a short story. :emoji_rage:

Carl, I've got our librarian making a copy. However, she's low tech so I'll have to wait for her to bring it to band this Thursday. I hope she follows through. Suzy's the Jazz Librarian, so getting copies of that stuff is *much* easier. :cool:

I used to have a copy of "The Marching Moron's" by Kornbluth in my office as manditory reading for the staff. Maybe I'll have youse guys read it. It is, after all, a short story. :emoji_rage:

Carl, I've got our librarian making a copy. However, she's low tech so I'll have to wait for her to bring it to band this Thursday. I hope she follows through. Suzy's the Jazz Librarian, so getting copies of that stuff is *much* easier. :cool:

Thank you, I look forward to playing it.

Just got back from rehearsal. I checked the score and there is an Eb part for the Marriage of Figaro - arranged by Slocum.

Anybody got this one? I read off the Bb part and it is a real bugger at speed.

Thanks to those who check but come up dry. Some of these old arrangements are hard to keep a complete set of parts intact.

FWIW -- and being moderately more serious -- a lot of larger universities have a music library with a rather comprehensive score collection. For example, I attended the State University of NY at Buffalo (UB) -- yes, I've attended a lot of colleges. Their music library had the original onion skin transcripts of a lot of John Coltrane's recordings. Heck, even the downtown Buffalo library had zillions of scores: I remember looking up R.V. Williams' Folk Song Suite there and walked out with vinyl of Pablo Casals playing Bach's Cello Suites (one of which I was going to play on bari sax).

Mind you, there may be copyright issues for music that is that new, but it's just goes to show you that they're available.

I'd love to live a tad bit closer to Arizona State University: they have a decent music library there. It's not *that* far away, but it's still far enough and I have to pay for parking.

I couldn't ban Tammi. Merlin's bribe wasn't big enough :).

BTB, the BH score does not have an Eb clarinet part. PROOF.

MoF as arranged by Slocum is all of $8 there, for a score. Here the eefer part's $3 ....

WAM "original" score (remember: "clarinetti in B" is really Bb. "Clarinetti in H" would be a B clarinet)

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny, I spent time looking for the Anderson band arrangement there, but didn't check there last night for the Mozart.

Anybody know off hand what their shipping charge is?

I wonder how many groups still play it with divisi trumpets and cornets? Or, for that matter, with an alto clarinet?

As a general rule of thumb, I have found that the "hard" parts from arrangements are the ones that are missing when you look at acquiring one second- (and sometimes even first-) hand. So, you'll find that orchestral arrangements of the Gershwin stuff will be missing the original bass clarinet or saxophone parts, simply because someone has decided to keep them for future reference.

Quite often, when looking at "commercial" 5444 vocal arrangements of classic tunes for college level groups, I'll find that someone has "abstracted" the vocal parts from the folder at the music dealer. (These are "new" arrangements, not yet sold but still in the hands of the music dealer.) After getting burnt twice this way, I no longer buy anything that isn't either arranged from scratch or first examined by my lovely wife, who knows the drill on doing the screening.

I wonder how many groups still play it with divisi trumpets and cornets? Or, for that matter, with an alto clarinet?

As a general rule of thumb, I have found that the "hard" parts from arrangements are the ones that are missing when you look at acquiring one second- (and sometimes even first-) hand. So, you'll find that orchestral arrangements of the Gershwin stuff will be missing the original bass clarinet or saxophone parts, simply because someone has decided to keep them for future reference.

Quite often, when looking at "commercial" 5444 vocal arrangements of classic tunes for college level groups, I'll find that someone has "abstracted" the vocal parts from the folder at the music dealer. (These are "new" arrangements, not yet sold but still in the hands of the music dealer.) After getting burnt twice this way, I no longer buy anything that isn't either arranged from scratch or first examined by my lovely wife, who knows the drill on doing the screening.
A slightly different take:

When I worked as the assistant to the director for a church, I'd transcribe original choral and band/orchestra arrangements from Integrity Music for our group: they'd send us the actual studio charts from their CD recording sessions. About 5 years after this, they started selling the "original" charts in stores. They were missing parts and simplified things.

The BH scores I mention above were not re-arrangements, as far as I'm aware, especially based on the copyright date. Re-arrangements generally are reductions, unless you're talking about, say, Rhapsody in Blue or something which was originally for "just" piano and then expanded to full orchestra (there's a video on YouTube of the "original" orchestral version, BTB).

Now, as far as BH is concerned, I thought I remembered someone playing Eb sopranino clarinet. That's still possible: I played in a band, not an orchestra (i.e. no strings). I also *know* that I played Bb contrabass clarinet on A Christmas Festival and the "new" score doesn't list that part.

I'm virtually certain that in both cases they would have been transpositions of other parts, tho.

(Incidentally, I've played both alto sax parts, the tenor sax part, the bari sax part, the bass clarinet part, the contrabass clarinet part and all the Bb clarinet parts for A Christmas Festival at one time or another. if I still played, I might actually be able to do A part right in a few years :))

I can say, tho, havening worked as a music librarian that sometimes parts and scores are missing because of what you mention, Terry, or because those percussionists just forgot to turn in their part. However, if the part's not on the score, one would assume it doesn't exist.

It has been my experience that vocalists (female vocalists, of all stripes, professional, half so, and raw amateur) are particularly adept with walking off with the parts, this so that they have something to sit at the piano and peck out the melody on a new piece or one in a different key. Out of the ones that we have used, only one absolutely, positively never did this once.

Did this fall through then?

I guess the answer is nothing then?

The band cheaped out on buying a part for borrowed music too. When I was librarian for a symphony some years ago, I had no qualms about purchasing whatever was necessary for the performance, regardless of the source.

I guess some groups are just users. If it wasn't for the playing time I get from the weekly rehearsals, I think I'd leave the band. Musically it is quite depressing.:-( I had been transposing the 1st clarinet part, but I think in performance I'll just sit there for the numbers they chose not to get the needed parts. (Yes, other parts are missing as well.)

Thanks for checking on it. I appreciate the effort.

Back
Top Bottom