tárogató Restoration

It was a long and grueling process. Please do pardon my terminology as I was referring to the receiver and forgot to mention so.
It, like yours, was done rather sloppy and of course, I was not satisfied. So I reamed it out to get it ready for the socket re-build, and made a new one of fresh wood material, fitted it using a dremel for final touches, and boom. It took all of two days of extremely careful work.
This is a photo of my work. I always say, if it works, it works!
Please excuse the overly-dramatic lighting, my fancy camera was set to macro with flash, and the black chair of a background was made into an abyss.
But anyhow this picture goes to show how far one can go without professional equipment.

Gheorge, if you have any detailed questions along the way if you do decide to do those repairs, I'll be glad to assist. I'm just hoping you have access to more equipment than I do, but if not, it's still a doable job.

It was a long and grueling process. Please do pardon my terminology as I was referring to the receiver and forgot to mention so.
It, like yours, was done rather sloppy and of course, I was not satisfied. So I reamed it out to get it ready for the socket re-build, and made a new one of fresh wood material, fitted it using a dremel for final touches, and boom. It took all of two days of extremely careful work.
This is a photo of my work. I always say, if it works, it works!
Please excuse the overly-dramatic lighting, my fancy camera was set to macro with flash, and the black chair of a background was made into an abyss.
But anyhow this picture goes to show how far one can go without professional equipment.

Gheorge, if you have any detailed questions along the way if you do decide to do those repairs, I'll be glad to assist. I'm just hoping you have access to more equipment than I do, but if not, it's still a doable job.

Oh, I see what you mean. Thank you (and great job, by the way). I have the opposite scenario - my upper joint is of the "male" variety - a tenon. The mouthpiece has the mortise. The tenon's wall on 1 side is dangerously thin. I'm not touching it at this point, just wondering how to best rebuild it without removing too much original wood, in case I ever have to.

I have tools, though my primary interests are in the luthiery department, and the tárogató is my introduction to the reed family.

Like you said - I had to do what I had to do. My first official performance on the tárogató was on stage in front of several hundred people. That was January of this year, and I only did the repairs the previous December.

George

Have you played a taragot before, or is this one you're waiting for your first?

Let me know how it goes when you get it - it is quite a unique animal!

George

I played oboe for many years, and play sax, including the soprano. I also studied the clarinet for quite a long time. I have been wanting a tárogató for a long time, and managed to win the one John linked to on eBay. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival--it will take probably a month to get here :(

I will be able to speak much more clearly about all this after it arrives. I look forward to joining the ranks of taragoteers ;)

All this speak of these fancy key mechanisms is giving me the itch to find myself a more complex instrument. Although my finished instrument plays beautifully, I wouldn't mind trying out some new kinds, I have plenty of free time now to take on another restoration and if I do end up with another conical friend in my collection, believe me, the pictures and stories will be flooding in with lots of learning experience, I assure.

Kymarto, I too would be interested to hear more about your experience with the instrument. It's amazing how unique each tárogató seems to be, not only to work on but to play.

I'm interested in these odd "plateau key" instruments, I've seen pictures and have heard stories about them, but can't seem to find that there are very many of them. They at first reminded me too much like a wooden "soprano sax" to me from what I've seen of a few of them, but as I look at them more, they're growing on me like a chia pet and if I don't act soon I may have to shave. :emoji_astonished:

I will definitely share my experiences when mine arrives, but as I told George, I am told it may take a month to arrive. The seller says that it is in good condition but that it is hard to get the bottom notes to speak, so I assume that at least some pads will need replacing.

I was totally surprised to see a taragot on eBay will covered keys on the bottom joint. I did not know such things existed. Now with more research it seems that there are a few around, but quite rare. The advantage of ring keys is the possibility of half-holing, although it is not so easy. Simple tone holes are best for that kind of thing, but the problem there is that you sometimes want additional keywork that connects to additional holes for intonational or chromatic-fingering purposes. Always trade-offs. Am I right that yours is quite simple? I played a conservatory system oboe for many years, so I like the look and feel of a lot of keys. It basically makes no operative difference--fingerings are the same as for the normal two-ring bottom joint, with the F key and mechanism for the alternate F fork fingering. This is exactly like the oboe, BTW.

Mine is likely one of the simplest tárogatós ever made. For reference I've included a picture of the instrument (also featured in my one and only lonely album).

As far as my key related preferences, now that you mention half holing, I come to think of the fact that I never really use the technique too often, the straight up simple tone hole, however, can be really nice for bends when needed, but I usually bend with the embouchure more so than my fingers at times... and you're darn right about the extra keywork for international/chromatic purposes, I feel that "something's missing" sensation with my tárogató.
My favorite simpler keywork thus far has been on my 1890's oboe, the two rings on the bottom joint set up. It has just enough keys around to be convenient but not so much that it feels mechanical.

On bass instruments however, the more keywork the better, no matter what.

I think the plateau keys would be a bit of a weird sensation, now that I think it over the third time. Like I said I'm still eager to hear your testimonial once you get acquainted with it. Good find, by the way!

Mine is likely one of the simplest tárogatós ever made.

taragot-1.jpg

I said "one of", my friend. :D

Back
Top Bottom