Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

Is the required orientation for the small calendar still landscape?
The page size is 8.5" x 11" (normal letter), but it's oriented landscape. So, if you've got a pic that more-or-less fills the page, it should be landscape. If you can only do smallish pics, I've done multiple "portrait"-oriented pics for the page.

Hmm... Pete got any requested shots from QuinnTheEskimo's collection?
He's got too much good stuff :). If he's got a couple Buffet SDAs with sparkle lacquer, that'd be fun, especially if he can show the sparkle. A Martin Master ("Typewriter") would be nice, as I haven't had one yet, as would a Conn New Wonder with the Virtuoso Deluxe package (i.e. the full pearl set). Other than that, I trust your judgment.

Oddly, I haven't had any C melody horns or C sopranos.

i'm going to try an take pics of the big 3 .. a CT, LL and R13 plus a half boehm and Couesnon. See if the pics are acceptable and modify my photo taking after that. I don't have a big camera though, just a pocket Nikon.
Kewl.

Y'know, the interesting thing is that the camera on your cell phone/mobile device may be able to take really big pics. Also, if you're talking film or a traditional picture, I do have a new scanner, so that's not a worry.

Oh. Two other pic notes:

* There is an approximately 1/8" rectangle taken out of the page (in other words, the area the pic fits in is 8.5" - 1/8" by 11" - 1/8"). That means that if you have your horn on the extreme edges of the page, it could get chopped. I've generally compensated for this in the past.

* Note that the spiral binding is at the bottom of the page and there's a hole in the middle top of the page (for hanging the calendar).

All righty, then.

I got my final "profit" check from Lulu late last week. Tomorrow evening I will start sending PayPals and thanks/begging for more pics e-mails. As I've mentioned earlier, I didn't sell many calendars this year so don't expect lots of cash.

I apologize for the delay. It's been a bit chaotic out here and I've had some computer issues.

One of the reasons why I switched to Linux Mint full-time is because I have a lot of the benefits of the Mac (i.e. few viruses) and I can easily run Windows XP under the free (and faster than Parallels) Oracle VirtualBox. Heck, VirtualBox is much faster than Windows 7's Virtual XP mode.

I have only one main program that does not have a good enough equivalent on the Linux side: Macromedia Dreamweaver MX 2004. Yes, it's old, but the newer ones don't add more functionality that I'd actually use, which is one of the arguments I've used regarding using MS Office 2003 ....

Probably. I've signed up, but also haven't used them.

It's the 80-20 rule in a couple ways:

* 80% of folks will use 20% of the features of any given piece of software.
* 20% of the folks will find benefit in upgrading to newer versions of MS Office because they really need a particular feature. The other 80% that buy Office will do so because they know that 80% of the companies they deal with send things in an Office format -- and 20% of the time, they'll find that OpenOffice (or LibreOffice) won't convert it properly.

I love the 80-20 rule. It's not always precise, tho :).

The 2011 checks have been cut and PayPal'd out. If you didn't get a check and wanted one (and your picture was in the calendar, smart guy), please e-mail me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com.

I'll wait about a week to make sure I didn't miss anyone and then send Ed a check.

I too was using the older version of Dreamweaver (the 2004 one), but a change in the computer system in X.5 on the Macintosh put paid to that. I've still got it running on an older machine, but have finally decided to bite the bullet and upgrade, despite the high cost even for the educator version.

While I'm on sabbatical to work on some other projects, I have a couple of "watched threads." This is one of them :).

I really don't have to worry about compatibility problems -- and you don't have to, either, if you use a virtual machine. Oracle's VirtualBox is free for personal use and it works extremely well. However, virtualizing MacOS is a tad complex, I'll grant.

BTB, I switched back to running Windows 7 64-bit. The main problem was that I started seeing problems with my graphics cards (I have an older nVidia 9600GT for my two 22" monitors and an nVidia 7100gs for my 19"). There are some known bugs with "some" nVidia cards and Ubuntu-based Linux variants and mine happened to be the "some" cards. *Sigh* I still might experiment with a couple other distros. The shiniest seems to be elive, but I might try Yellow Dog, which is based on Fedora (RedHat) instead of Ubuntu's Debian.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Last Roundup

This will definitely, positively be the last calendar that I'll be creating -- at least for a longish while. I do have a few brand-new submissions, but not enough for a full 13-pages, so unless I get more new photos, I'm going to do a lot of "best of" pics from earlier calendars, provided that the folks that took the pics have signed releases saying I can reuse the pics.

* Lotsa info on the calendars and samples from older ones.
* Release form.

I want to submit shots of my contra alto and contra bass Leblanc (paperclip) clarinets this week.

I was thinking of another modern squeeker-family shot with: soprillo, sopranino, c & Bb sops.

I'll shoot to have those to youse soon as I have a break in my practice/gig schedule.

That reminds me .... i wanted to send pics of Leblanc LL Bb/A clarinets, Selmer CT, miscellaneous Buffets from R13 next to a rare half-boehm and stuff like that. maybe a few of those super-duper expensive and rare Selmer mk VIIs too :)

Should I like put them all in one picture ? or multiple pics ?

Steve, if you want to do a big "family" pic, that'd be exceptional. The reason why I ask for lots of pics is primarily because the pics I get are too small and/or not the right dimensions:

As big as you can take. Lulu, the publisher, wants at least 2625 x 3375 pixels at 300 dpi and preferably 4125 x 5775 at 500ppi. For all submissions, including if you can’t take pictures that big, please send me multiple EQUAL SAME SIZED pictures and MULTIPLE POSES of your horn.

Oh. I don't think I've even had Mark VII pics submitted. There is one terribly rare Mark VII: the low A alto. I've seen a couple. Mark VIIs that are in finishes other than lacquer are uncommon.

===========

Gandalfe, I'm looking forward to 'em! I played a paperclip Leblanc contrabass.

Progress report:

I've currently got about a half-dozen pics lined up and I've got a cover picked out. Lulu.com has also made some interesting changes to their calendar design and I'm trying to adapt to them. One change is actually quite nice: they've finally decided to allow you to type a caption on the calendar, rather than requiring it on the picture.

As this will be the last calendar, I plan on having it available in all the different papers that Lulu allows, which are "Linen" and "High Gloss" for the big calendar and "standard" for the small one. I'm also going to try to shove in some more "holidays" and such, so if you've got something interesting that is correctly dated, I'll put it in the calendar.

Finally, I will probably make an online companion to the calendar to include some info about the pics. Probably. One big thing holding me back is that the internet connection at my house keeps drop

Back
Top Bottom