Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraiser ...

Well, I have a day or two of "wiggle room," as I set up the pics I already have. Please just get the pics to me as quickly as you can.

It's also satisfying when you look at a pic and say, "The horn is beautiful, but the pic is too small. I dunno how I'm gonna do this," and you eventually MAKE it fit.

It's probable that if I was a big-time Photoshop* guy I could make things fit better, but someone else can take up my mantle for 2013.

I've finished about 6 pics for the small calendar. The large calendars will have some variation of the same pics. I hope. I'm going to have to cheat a bit ....

==============

* I actually use GIMP, an open-source and free alternative to Photoshop. Primarily because I don't want to spend $900 on a program that I use three features on.

One of the Photoshop programmers is a saxophone player. Several years back he said he'd code saxpics.com into an Easter Egg. Dunno if that happened ....

Tentative lineup (makes/models off the top of my head):

COVER: Super Balanced Action Bari (2011 calendar "month." New "pose" for large calendar.)

* Japanese Wooden Flutes
* Saxophone Toys (incl. QRS Sax)
* Assorted Japanese/Chinese Reed Instruments
* Couesnon Low A Alto (2011 calendar; additional shots/poses)
* Curved Bb Sopranos (Venus/Beaugnier Vito; Vito in 2010 Calendar)
* Dolnet M70 Pair (standard alto and Royal Jazz alto)
* Leblanc Paperclip Contra Clarinet Pair (Eb/Bb)
* Conn F Mezzo Soprano (2011 cover, different poses)
* Straight Soprano Pair (Yani and Eppelsheim, I think -- Gandalfe's pair)
* 3 German Tenors and a Bari (Kohlert, Keilwerth, Dorfler & Jurka, Weltklang)
* More Straight Sopranos (Buffet SA, two King Marigaux)
* Buescher-Made Bundy Alto (my late father-in-law's horn)

So, I need at least one more month and I'm just waiting for one of the several people in this thread to send me something. If I get lotsa stuff, I'll bump the pics from my old calendars, but I'm keeping the cover. It's one of the best pics of one of the nicest SBA's I've seen.

Oh. I just got an e-mail from one of this year's entrants: I had asked a couple times for really big pics, but never got 'em. Turns out they were delivered to spam. Please remember: if I get something from you, I'll send you an e-mail! No response means I didn't get what you sent!

Pete, the sop pair is a Yani Bb and an Eppelsheim C soprano Saxes.
Kinda thought so. Hey, remember to send me info on the paperclips and if your xtet has a website address.

Got your e-mails, too, Steve and Chris! Thanks much.

I have 1 and 1/2 days off this week. I'm going to hopefully have all the pictures formatted for publication by Sunday.

If anyone has a woodwind-related "holiday" that should be in the calendar, post here or e-mail me. I'll include it. I generally do birthdays of players, significant patents and founding dates for companies. In the past, I've done mainly sax-themed "holidays," but there's no reason not to open it up for all woodwinds!

• I've got some of your clarinets, Steve.
  • Chris James, who has been in the calendar before, sent me some extremely nice pics of a Conn New Wonder Artist-finished tenor and a New Wonder silver-plated C melody. I'm going to put those in.
Initially, my wife wanted to get a professional shot of my father-in-law's horn, but she found out that it was a tad pricey, so I'm going to see if I can take a good pic of it, myself. Amusingly, I think the camera in my Crackberry has more megapixels than our old Canon camera.

So, now that I have more than 13 shots for the calendar, I'm going to see what I want to remove. What I would have really liked to do is include one month (probably December) with a mosaic of all the "title pages" I've used. Unfortunately, I thought of that a bit too late: the "Rev. 1" of my release forms only were for the one calendar. I don't have time to contact everyone that's been featured on the cover.

OK. Here's the updated lineup. This is not necessarily the order in which they will appear, excepting the cover. Please check that I have the attributions/descriptions correct.

* COVER: 1952 Selmer Super (Balanced) Action Eb Baritone (low Bb). Thanks to Matt Stohrer. Visit Matt online at http://stohrermusic.com.
* ca. 1970 Dolnet M70 Eb Altos. Lacquer Bodies, Nickel-Plated Keywork. Thanks to AhCheung from SOTW.
* Leblanc "Paperclip" Metal Contrabass Clarinets. Both with Keyed Range to Low Eb. Thanks to Jim Glass. Visit Jim online at http://biskey7.wordpress.com.
* 1928 Conn F Mezzo Soprano (22M). Silver Plated. Thanks to Jim Glass. Visit Jim online at http://biskey7.wordpress.com.
* 2000 Yanagisawa S992 Bronze Bb Soprano (top) & 2010 Lacquer Eppelsheim C Soprano. Thanks to Jim Glass. Visit The Dissonance xTet Online at www.gandalfe.net.
* Chinese Vertical Bawus (I think). Thanks to Michael Burgess. (Michael, I'll put in more of a description, if you've got one. Your desciption sheet has 4 horns, the picture has 6 instruments.)
* Exotic Reeds. Thanks to Michael Burgess. Vertical Bawus and detail pics. Sheng in G. Hulusi (China), Ken (Vietnam), Single Drone Gourd (Nepal?), Suona (China), Shenai (Pakistan), Chaunter (Scotland), Pocket Sax (Hawaii).
* New and Old Sax "Toys." Thanks to Michael Burgess. Saxette w/Lyre. Yanagisawa Training Alto, QRS Play-a-Sax, Mason Clarisax, Hohner.
* Bb Clarinets. Thanks to Steve Sklar. Visit him at http://clarinetperfection.com. Top: c. 1950 Couesnon. Bottom: c. 1940 Selmer Centered Tone.
* Straight Bb Sopranos. Thanks to AhCheung from SOTW. c. 1940 Buffet "SA." c. 1960 King Marigauxs.
* Weltklang Eb Bari, Kohlert Edgware Bb Tenor, Keilwerth-Made Jubilee Bb Tenor, Dörfler & Jörka-Made René Dumont Bb Tenor. Thanks to AhCheung from SOTW.
* Conn New Wonder "Artist's Special" Gold-Plated Bb Tenor. Thanks to Chris James.
* Conn New Wonder C Melody Tenor Sax. Thanks to Chris James.

I know, I know. "This thread is useless without pics!" I'm working on it. Also, Christoph Huxoll, who has been in several of my calendars, said that he'll try to get me something by this weekend. If he does, I'll bump one of the pics from someone that has multiples, above. Otherwise, this represents the pictures that are in the small calendar. The poses in the big calendar will definitely be different and I may use a couple different pics, but from the same folks as listed above.

Finally, Lulu.com's got a new feature: you can put captions under your pics. However, there's not THAT much room. For instance, Michael's list of horns is very long. I had to go down to 8pt text to list everything.

So, again, if you find an attribution/description that is incorrect, please post here or e-mail me at thesaxinfo@gmail.com. I'll have pics posted as soon as the big calendar is complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uploaded. http://thesax.info/2012_cal

Notes: The pictures are big PNG files. Couple MB each. They're captured with the Win 7 snipping tool from the electronic proof (PDF) of the small calendar. The little black border you may see is because of me snipping places I shouldn't. I've also enclosed a pic of the calendar part, as well. No holidays are loaded.

Oh. If a pic looks too dark on your monitor, it shouldn't be that dark in the actual calendar. I've got a nice 8-bit monitor that is (according to most reviews, at least) really, really close to reality.

I'm currently working on finishing the pics for the large calendar. I've been havening a few issues with some of the pics because of their dimensions -- i.e. works great for a small size calendar, not so great for a really big one, so I'm designing a bit, ATM.

My goal is to have all the pics done and uploaded by the weekend and I'll take one more week to get the holidays done.

I finally finished all the pics for the big calendar, today. This also means that I've got two calendars coming my way to proof. The next stage will be getting "holidays" re-inserted.

As mentioned, if you have any woodwind-related "holiday" that should be in the calendar -- or an actual holiday that should be in the calendar -- please post here or e-mail me.

I mentioned a couple posts ago that I was going to try to take some pics of my late father-in-law's horn, which is a 1950's-era Buescher-made Bundy (it looks like an Aristocrat). I failed: pictures just didn't work right for me. It's too bad because it does have a neat-o looking black and white case.

The small (8.5" x 11") calendar is now available for sale -- or will be, once Lulu's cataloged it. LINKY. When it's up, all you have to do is click the calendar's picture for a Flash-based preview.

Final Lineup:
* Cover: 1952 Selmer SBA bari sax
* Jan: A variety of Asian reeds (bawu, chanters, sheng -- lots of stuff)
* Feb: Leblanc paperclip contra clarinets
* Mar: Conn F Mezzo sax
* April: Dolnet M70 Eb alto saxes
* May: Weltklang bari, and Kohlert, Keilwerth and Dorfler & Jurka Bb tenor saxes
* Jun: ca. 1960 Couesnon Monopole low A Eb alto sax
* Jul: Saxette, Yanagisawa training Eb alto sax, QRS Play-A-Sax, Mason Clarisax, Hohner Sax (toy)
* Aug: c. 1950 Couesnon Bb clarinet & c. 1940 Selmer Centered Tone Bb clarinet
* Sept: 1920's Conn New Wonder "Artist's Special" finished Bb tenor sax
* Oct: Transverse bawus
* Nov: 2009 Yani S992 and 2010 E&R C soprano
* Dec: 1920's Conn New Wonder C melody tenor

As before, if you've got a pic in the calendar, please check to make sure that your attribution is correct.

*Whew!* Lotta work!

I mention this on Lulu, but I will here, too:

* I'm waiting for the proof back for the LARGE calendar. After I (possibly) make corrections, it will be up for sale.
* The large calendar will be available on your choice of GLOSSY or LINEN paper. (If you ask me for my preference, it's glossy.)

I plan on writing a bit of commentary on my website regarding these pics. Just as a little extra. Hey, it's the last calendar.

* Yes, there are more "holidays."
* The price has remained the same from last year.
* I will still post coupon codes.
* If you are a calendar artist, contact me to buy calendar copies, so I can get you the coupon code + the "calendar creator" price, which is $4 or $5 off.

FWIW, and this may be because I've done these for a long time, I had to only correct a couple of minor problems with the calendar. Even when building the calendar and playing with brightness/contrast settings, it wasn't that difficult.

Oh. As a final comment, we've seen an awful lot of AhCheung's backyard, haven't we? :D

The large calendars (linen paper and glossy paper) are now done. They should be available on Lulu in a couple hours.

Again, please check the calendars. If you spot a problem, contact me and I'll get it corrected. More later!

Back
Top Bottom