Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

J.C. Denner's birthday.

TrueTone

College Student who likes wind instruments & music
Well, today's the birthday of Johann Christoph Denner, inventor of the Clarinet, and late 17th century woodwind maker.
Coincidentally, its also my birthday, which is why I occasionally make a joke I was fated to play Clarinet.
I actually got to play on a copy of a chalumeau made by his son at Clarinetfest. It's interesting, although the range is too small for me to like it enough, maybe a clarinet by one of them would be more to my liking, as a Clarinet from the 1790s there was rather enjoyable to play.
Does the one supposed Chalumeau by him still exist, out of curiosity?
The only photos I've seen of it were black and white.
Aaahh. Stupid tags are making those into links. Oh well.

I did a paper on Clarinet history as part of my Masters decades ago which included a lot about Denner. I THINK I read somewhere that an original Chalumeau does exist somewhere. Maybe not....

They are an interesting find for the historical aspect of clarinets.
The wrap around register key was always a problem - leaks - as the arm was usually flexy. Thus they invented the teakettle part of it which is angled but with still a long flexy key.

I don't have any information on this era instrument though normally German clarinets have a cylindrical bore both upper and lower joint that flares quite quickly at the bell.
I did a paper on Clarinet history as part of my Masters decades ago which included a lot about Denner. I THINK I read somewhere that an original Chalumeau does exist somewhere. Maybe not....
I've held a copy of one of his tenor chalumeau at Clarinetfest before, so probably one of his does! (I've seen a few copies of that, going back to a late 1800s copy by Galper)
I know some original chalumeau exist!
What's the name of your paper, if you don't mind me asking?

It wasn't published, just an assignment for my M.M.--only thing I've had published yet is the book.

Back
Top Bottom