Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Covid-19 Discussion

Thank goodness for the online recording projects. But I'm really not getting even a third of the play time I used to get when I was performing in the public. Here's hoping you all are doing well. Be safe, be smart, be strong.

The iPhone / iPad app Acapella has kept me busy musically - I need the distraction from work, which is also busy!
Some idea of what it does.....

That's all folks!

Chris

Note_Norton,
You confirm what many of us here feel about what's going on not only in Florida, but other areas of the U.S.
Regardless of your very good points, it is hard to believe so many people still seem to disregard all the scientists we see on TV.
Look at that Country concert in Tenn. where it was a packed audience, maskless, shoulder to shoulder. American Airlines will now have full flights--what has changed since about March 12? They cite that a plane is one of the safer places to be for avoiding the virus. Funny, I always heard one of the worst places to catch a cold was on a plane. Truly amazing. I still wear my mask in any place around people and here we have nowhere near the worries and numbers of cases.

We, Americans, live in hope that we can figure this out using the models around the world that has been successful. Might not happen until 2021 though, sad to say. Don't give up on us Canada!
Born in Yonkers, NY, I was an American until Nov. 21, 2017 (renounced because of FATCA, filing/paying taxes to the U.S. when I left in '77)--google FATCA. But, I hear ya. I love my (former) country. My summer concerts in NY are cancelled for the first time ever (since I left to teach Band in Canada age 23). I was very disheartened to hear that New Rochelle, NY was one of the first epicentres (epiceneters US) of the virus in all of the U.S., let alone NY. back in March. There was a "containment zone" there. My conductor of the Westchester Band (a H.S. freind and years fellow professional) lived just outside the zone. I was just at his house last Aug. before out last concert. Who knew our next one may be June 2021?

I am going to be Switzerland and try to stay neutral. All I can say is I am very concerned for my American friends right now. I am very thankful that our gov't is keeping the border shut between the 2 countries. As much as it is a hardship for some, essential goods and services are getting through.

Gah, the numbers are horrific this week! The upwards curve is not a good sign. I'll not post the latest stats because they will be obe before I am done writing.

I suspect a lot of people didn't think they were at risk. There are so many stories of people who took a chance, wandered into maskless situations, and in some cases ... died! It just isn't worth it for me to go out yet. I so miss my big band, sax quartet, rock band and yes ... even the community band. Be strong, be safe, be well.

A while back I mentioned that here in Oz we were seeing the beginning of the second wave of infection. Most of Oz seems to have got things under control with quite low numbers, mostly single-digit daily. Unfortunately, here in Victoria we seem to have more of a problem, with higher numbers than in the first waves. We have a policy of compulsory quarantine for 14 days in large hotels commandeered for the duration for passengers coming from abroad. Unfortunately the supervision of this supervision was contracted to private security organizations who used untrained, inexperienced and unequipped casual employees who screwed it up. Consequently the infection got out of the quarantine locations into the general population and now its spreading like wildfire. Our state border is closed, more stringent lockdown conditions are being imposed and hopefully we'll get it under control again. That being said, our numbers are only a tiny fraction of what you are experiencing in Europe and the U.S. My wife and I live in a fairly quiet area outside the affected area and our property is large enough to isolate us from our neighbours, so hyopefully we'll see it out OK. All bands are closed, no real musical activity since February. Bummer.

Well here in British Columbia we are in about week 3 of our Stage 3 of reopening. For the last week we have been seeing 20+ new cases a day reported--most related to a party of young people in Kelowna. We have had an outbreak in the neonatal intensive care unit at a downtown Vancouver hospital with 1 infant infected. Sigh....

That all said, BC is doing remarkably well, and our Provincial Health Officer has become a rock star not only here in BC, but in North America as her work on the pandemic has been noticed by all sorts of media outlets.

However, that could of course all change as isolation fatigue sets in, and peoples' behaviour starts to revert back to "normal"--or perhaps pre-COVID is a better way of saying this. Plus, we are starting to see US-influenced "Masks are infringement on my human rights" or "Masks are bad for you" rallies pop up in Canada... Sigh... I know the US likes to export its culture, but this is something it really ought to keep to itself... :emoji_stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Just a reminder. This thread seems to be a magnet. We are a politics free forum. Please respect that.

mid November

Sorry if I offended anyone. I didn't at all think I was being political. Just was putting out there a general feeling that I would guess 90% of Canadians have about the terrible situation the U.S. is in. Regarding the virus.

Tom, I apologize. I overreacted too. I was PO'd about something else and shouldn't have called you out publicly. It's all in the dustbin.

All good.

So, now I'm a possible COVID-19 carrier.

I started feeling a bit poorly on Saturday night and really didn't feel well on Sunday. Biggest complaints were fever, headache unlike my normal migraines/cluster headaches/occipital neuralgia issues, and body aches, all of which are basically what I get when I have the flu. The one additional problem was that my back, which is already screwed up, shot up to pain level 10 and stayed there all day.

On Monday, my wife took me to one of the local pharmacies out here to have me tested for COVID. Two interesting things: first, they give you the swab to stick up your nose (insert in both nostrils, up to about 1/2 inch, and mix for 15 seconds each nostril) rather than them doing it and second, it takes a week to 10 days to get the official diagnosis. Back pain level went down to a 6. It's a little worrying, because it generally goes down to a two or three after I'm awake for a while.

I called up my doctor's office and asked them what else I should do. Answer: don't come in. If you have a positive diagnosis, call back for further instructions. Self quarantine. Rest. Fluids.

Today, I went back to work for about 3 hours before fever came back. I'll try again tomorrow, provided I feel moderately OK in the AM.

I have a relative who was an avid anti-masker / it's just another flu person. Then his wife, son, and future daughter in law got COVID and the hospital is so full patients are in beds in the halls.

Now he says he has a big "S" on his chest, for "Stupid".

When it comes home, there is no Ctrl+Z or Command+Z to undo. Be safe. Don't believe a self-appointed preacher, a real estate salesman, an propaganda "news" pundit, a politician, a flat-earther, or anyone but the published, peer-reviewed scientists that study diseases and are constantly learning more and more about this plague. It's the best way to be safe. Remember there is no "Undo".

Sooner or later this plague will end, as all the plagues in history have. It may be a vaccine, it may be a better way to treat it, it might be a better way to prevent it, or it may mutate and fizzle out on its own. IMO the best course of action is to do everything you can to stay safe, wait until it's either done or manageable, and be one of the survivors. Then you can enjoy the new normal.

Notes

I already replied to Pete in a PM but let me just reiterate what I said: Oh sh*! And yes, this was a direct quote. Minus the self-censoring on the public side of things. ;)

Given the numbers in AZ, I have been worried about our Pete for some time.

No matter how good you look after yourself; how often you wash your hands; how good a mask you wear; or, or, or... When the case numbers are as high as they are, if you have to go out for any reason--or live with others who have to--it is quite likely that you will contract something. Might not be COVID, but there are other things floating around as well that we seem to have forgotten about, since we put all our focus on the novel corona virus.

Not only are the numbers south of the 49th continually climbing, but if we look at trends around the world right now, a great many countries where the numbers had actually declined, are seeing an increase in COVID case numbers again. (Canada as well.) I haven't heard anything concrete as to why this might be the case however.

For now, the best we can all do is stay safe. Continue to wear face masks that are made with multiple layers--because yes, multiple peer-reviewed articles have shown they decrease the projection of aerosolized particles. Continue our hand hygiene routines. Continue practicing physical distancing with a minimum of 6'. Avoid crowded spaces--regardless if they are indoors or outdoors. And continue to be kind to one another. This is a stressful time for everyone, and I think we can likely all think of people from our own circle of friends who are not handling this situation well. Making that extra effort to be kind can make a huge difference to someone who is not having a good day due to COVID-related stress.

Take care all...

And Pete.... You know where I am. Text me anytime....h

If there is one good thing that has come out of the Covid crisis, it is that my observation is that society has become a little more caring and tolerant, and a little more polite than it was a year ago. I hope the effect is not just a temporary aberration.

Back
Top Bottom