Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

Prettiest Sax of the Moment

pete

Brassica Oleracea
Staff member
Administrator
I'm just doing some Internet cruisin' tonight. I came across a horn I had lost awhile back. I give you a Rampone and Cazzani bari from quite awhile ago: it's only keyed to alt. Eb. I would assume that would mean that the horn was made around the time R&C combined, which *I think) was around 1925.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/misc/Rampone.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
The interesting key on top of a key, which you can see in the linky, is an Eb vent for the fork Eb fingering. The setup that the R&C has isn't terribly common, but it's been used before.

As always, you browse for something else, and you find something that you weren't looking for, but wanted to find. In this case, the bass saxophone brother to the above.

I might buy this postcard.

Like, maybe this one? :p

IMO, this one was produced right after Selmer bought the A. Sax company in 1928: the keywork is extremely similar to a Selmer Modele 28. The keyguards, however, are unchanged from earlier AE Sax instruments.

I think this pic is pretty nice, too.

Like, maybe this one? :p

IMO, this one was produced right after Selmer bought the A. Sax company in 1928: the keywork is extremely similar to a Selmer Modele 28. The keyguards, however, are unchanged from earlier AE Sax instruments.

I think this pic is pretty nice, too.

lol - you know that's my web site, don't you.... It belongs to my teacher. Lovely tone. It's a replate. I think the body is also Sax, rather than Selmer, but have no way of knowing.
Yes, those are the guards. Agree your dating. But there are also very similar earlier ones with pre Selmer serial numbers which also have roller keywork.

lol - you know that's my web site, don't you
'Course I do, hence the :p.

I've offhandedly mentioned that I'm trying to find as many AE and AJ Sax saxophones to supplement the list at http://homepages.ed.ac.uk/am/gdsl.html. I've not progressed very far, but I can say that I have not found an AE Sax on that list that has a low Bb and the keyguards that you and I have mentioned. So you've got to consider:

* When were those low B AE Sax horns available? I know that some European saxophones had the reduced key-range as their "introductory" horns up until the 1930s, possibly 1940s.
* The first known AE Sax saxophone is from 1895.
* Were horns like the s/n 149 horn on your website and the more plain keywork models like this s/n 1509x horn produced after Selmer bought the Sax company in 1928?
* Were horns like this s/n 687 horn produced in the early 1900s-1928?
* The real Selmer-made A. Sax horns were ones like this s/n 693 horn. I've seen the 1928-1930 advertisement. I've seen 'em on the Selmer.fr website.

It's going to be interesting doing that research. I might do some more tomorrow.

there's another serial number on the horn, a 5 digit one if I remember rightly. Can't remember what it is.

Will be really interested to hear what you find out. The owner desparately wants it to be a DSax sax, made while Sax was still invovled post Selmer.

Allegedly, all the horns made at the Sax plant post-buyout had both an AE Sax serial number and a Selmer serial number -- the Selmer serials do seem to match up on the pro s/n chart. However, it also looks like AE Sax kept the AJ Sax serial numbers only until 1907ish, when he moved from Rue Blanche to Rue Myrha and restarted at s/n 1. There were also quite a few instruments AE made that don't have serial numbers.

It'll be interesting!

Now that would look nice in my paws..... Just as well I'm over here and have no money...
At the very least, it's made me want to look into Treibert a bit more, just to see if I can find some better pics.

Now that's very different. Looks to be in super condition as well.

Have never heard of the maker. Do you think that's a micro tuner neck?

Perhaps this helps:

http://luthiervents.blogspot.de/2011/03/comptoir-instrumental-du-centre-f.html
http://luthiervents.blogspot.de/2010/11/saxophone-f-renoux-et-cie-bourges.html
Based on those posts, I'd say my "Pierret" idea just got shot down :). (BTB, I've mentioned the Luthier Vents blog before. It's exceptionally kewl.)

That does look like a micro tuner neck. Microtuners were very popular on French-made instruments!

I was going to say "not Pierret", but I see you reached the same conclusion. I'm however, basing my opinion on the horn, not on the Google-translated French to English.

The key guards were the only thing that kinda' reminded me of the latter model Pierrets (Super Artiste, Competition, etc). That said, even those weren't quite the same, and Pierret was not known for varying their designs from their originals for their stencils.

Back
Top Bottom