Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

TheSax.Info and Woodwind Forum Calendar Fundraisers!

What samples?
The ones that are on the website. http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=4478897 (big calendar) and http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=4612532 (small calendar).

You can't see it if you don't have Flash installed.

EDIT: I tested it in both IE 7 and Firefox 3.0.3 (portable edition) on the PC and Safari 3.1.2 on my G5. Looks fine on all three (sorry; don't have Opera installed on my machines).

Screenshot of the page attached.

EDIT 2: Ya like my bookmarks toolbar? :D

Last edited by a moderator:
The ones that are on the website. http://www.lulu.com/browse/preview.php?fCID=4478897 (big calendar).

You can't see it if you don't have Flash installed.

Screenshot of the page attached.

I have Adobe Flash Player 10. And everything loads and is there except the preview.:???:

EDIT: I have IE8 Beta 2. And I thought the previews were of the Woodwind calendar. I saw the screenie. It's the same one as the one in the link to thesax.info. I was looking for previews of the Woodwind calendar. But nice job! I would buy one.....

Last edited:
If you're using IE 7 Pro or Firefox's FlashBlock -- which I do -- that could be your problem. Turn 'em off.

Do note that it takes awhile to load. They're big pics and I've got a really, really fast connection (1.5 megabytes/s download; yes, it's kewl).

You can see my original samples at http://thesax.info/2009-Calendar/ and that will show you the horns, at least.

===========

Editing after your edit: there is no specific woodwind calendar for this year. There weren't enough submissions to make a calendar (see post #16). So you get all sax, all the time :).

Last edited by a moderator:
* DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER 8 BETA TO ACCESS LULU! You WILL have problems. Hey, you're supposed to have problems with beta software :).

* I was asked about shipping to Canada. The costs are $10, $15.68, $75.83 or $82.73 to Calgary, depending on how fast you want it there. (Me, I'd choose the $10 or $15 option.)

* DON'T USE INTERNET EXPLORER 8 BETA TO ACCESS LULU! You WILL have problems. Hey, you're supposed to have problems with beta software :).

* I was asked about shipping to Canada. The costs are $10, $15.68, $75.83 or $82.73 to Calgary, depending on how fast you want it there. (Me, I'd choose the $10 or $15 option.)

Hey! It works now! I forgot there was a "compatibility view" button for webpages that only work on earlier versions of IE. Looks like the picture layouts are a little different than the ones on TheSax.Info.

Hey! It works now! I forgot there was a "compatibility view" button for webpages that only work on earlier versions of IE. Looks like the picture layouts are a little different than the ones on TheSax.Info.
Yup.

What generally happens is that people send me pics that can't be resized exactly the way I'd like: they're too tall, too fat or just not big enough. Combine that with Lulu's ever-changing display size and it's easy to see why the originals are generally not the finals.

I also try not to resize anything more than 125%. The reason for this is because the image will start to look less and less clear.

OK, I'm a-gonna call the 2009 Calendar sales complete, for the year.

(Yes, they'll still be available, of course, but I get very few sales after the end of January.)

Total sold, not counting to the artists that contributed is, I think, 80 (Lulu.com's new reporting thingy sucketh muchly). That's less than half of 2008's sales, but was expected with the economy and the slight rise in the price of the calendar.

I will try to get some info together for the 2010 Calendar(s) and my book project in just a bit.

Just to let the people that requested payment know: after I get my check from Lulu, I'll start splitting it off. I think that'll be by the end of February.

Final calendar tally was 85. I'll be sending checks off to people (well, PayPals) in approximately a week.

I wonder why those who send in pictures are given a share of the profits from the calendar sales in the first place. I would think that the honor and privilege of having your saxophone displayed would be payment enough. Even a complementary calendar to each of the 12 participants whose pictures are chosen would be more than enough IMO.

John

I wonder why those who send in pictures are given a share of the profits from the calendar sales in the first place. I would think that the honor and privilege of having your saxophone displayed would be payment enough. Even a complementary calendar to each of the 12 participants whose pictures are chosen would be more than enough IMO.

John
No worries John. The profits won't even cover a free calendar. I think Pete insists upon doing this just to be fair.

John
I do it as a bit of incentive. I think most amateur photographers would just say, "I'm gonna be published? That's good enough!", because that does look good on a resume. However, if I sell an obscene amount of calendars, a share of the profits isn't a bad thing.

However, the maximum amount I've sold in a year was a little more than 180. If I can sell close to 400, I can start thinking about putting ads in The Saxophone Journal or something: IIRC, ads were $1600 for a 1/2 page. With that kind of advertising, I might be able to sell a lot more. In that case, you'd have a really good reason to want a share of the profits.

I also do it because I want to be very up-front with costs and such: there's a profit of $4 on each calendar sold and I take 1/3 of this. 2/3 goes to the people who want profit sharing, or 21 cents per calendar per month included (there are 12 months plus the cover). So, as an example, if your Buescher 157 was featured for February 2009 and that was the only month your pics were featured, your profit share was a little under $18.

Hey. You can buy a large pizza and drinks.

I also give the people that contribute pics the opportunity to buy an unlimited amount of calendars at a $4 per calendar discount. I'd like to say, "You gimmee a pic, you get a free calendar," but this is all on-demand publishing: I have no stock, so I can't give out freebies.

With the profits I've had from teh calendar, I've purchased some computer equipment (easier to upgrade stuff if you're a computer tech!) and software (discontinued copy of Dreamweaver MX for $50! Score!).

Now, if enough folks contribute pics this year for the Woodwind Forum calendar to be created, I'll be taking no profit at all: my profits would go toward running this forum, minus the cost of a proof or two (and I generally need two). I have no idea how I'm gonna do profits on the book. In both of these cases, though, if you submit pics, you will have the option of profit sharing. I think it's only fair.

Back
Top Bottom