WF New People Introductions

High Soprano Hi

Hi there,

Considering investing in a student soprano sax - am new to woodwind.

Thanks for ok-ing my forum application!

Ric

:TrebleClef:

Hi there,

Considering investing in a student soprano sax - am new to woodwind.

Thanks for ok-ing my forum application!

Ric

:TrebleClef:

Welcome to the WF Ric. Nice to have you aboard.

I take it by your post that you have never played any woodwind before? No clarinet, flute, oboe, etc. in your background? The reason I ask, is because soprano saxophone is not necessarily the easiest saxophone to learn to play on.

Soprano saxophones are finicky little creatures, that require a fair amount of embouchure control. Also, there are a great many brands of student models horns that are absolute junk. These junky horns--that I like to call POC horns--many times are badly built and are not capable of playing in tune. That's why when buying a student model soprano--especially as a beginner--I strongly suggest that you work with a good teacher to help you get started the right way. I used to work with new students all the time, before they started to play, and helped them get a good saxophone.

If you don't have access to a saxophone instructor, or really do want to go this alone, I strongly encourage you to go with a company like Kessler Music. Dave Kessler is a member of this forum, and is a really stand-up guy. He will help you get the sax you want, and make sure that what you're getting is a quality item. Yes, you will spend a few more dollars for a student model Kessler brand horn than you would for a POC horn off eBay, or a no-name dealer, but Dave stands behind his products. And if on the off-chance there ever is a problem with a horn he sells you, they will make it right. Oh, I should mention, Kessler also sells other brands as well, so you don't necessarily have to get a Kessler-branded horn. All the horns they sell go through their shop before going out to the customer however. This is an important step, and something that doesn't happen if you buy one of those cheap eBay horns.

Hope has been somewhat helpful. What do you think? If you want more info, feel free post under the appropriate section here, or you can PM me if you like.

Again, welcome Ric. I hope you enjoy the WF.

Welcome to the WF Ric. Nice to have you aboard ... Again, welcome Ric. I hope you enjoy the WF.

Thanks Helen,

Unfortunately soprano sax is the only woodwind which appeals to me. Have never recovered from listening to Terry Riley & John Cale's album 'Church of Anthrax' - and it all stems from there.

The student brand I have my eye on is Elkhart and not from the Bay either. Am in touch with a good tutor, just getting up the nerve to purchase the horn.

Spent some time experimenting with an Amerindian flute so am not completely unused to wind instruments.

Thanks again,

Ric

I'm guessing you're in the UK. Am I right? Either way, I take it that you've read Stephen Howard's review of the Elkhart alto. It may or may not be applicable, depending if the company gets all their horns (S,A,T,B) stencilled by the same manufacturer...

Thanks Helen,

Yes I am in the UK - the Elkhart looks okay for a beginner I guess. Am hoping my tutor will also be able to identify any potential problems with the new horn.

I would start by fitting a Yamaha mouthpiece anyway.

Will update :)

Ric

It sounds like you're on the right track Ric. Good luck with the new horn and mouthpiece. Yes, do update us and let us know how things are going for you.

Best,

Helen

Clarinet Player Introduction

Hello forum,

My name is Aaron Adams. I play the clarinet. I've been playing for over seven years, starting in the sixth grade. I am currently a Freshman at Warner University studying Music Ministry. I've been reading this forum as a non-member for about a week now, and thought the information on it seemed good and so I decided to join so I could ask my own questions as I get them. I've never had clarinet lessons before, and have been looking for some, but my college doesn't offer any and it's been hard to find in the lake wales area. I play a Yamaha 250 clarinet with a Yamaha 4C mouthpiece and Vandoren V-12 reeds with a leather(Like?) ligature.
I'm excited to be here, thanks for having me!

-Prayer Warrior
Aaron Adams

Hello

Holiday Greetings!

I'm a composer from the great state of Texas. Thirty years ago, I started out writing for low brass (euphonium and tuba). In the last 10-15 years, many of my tuba friends have married woodwind players and have commissioned works of me for them and their mates. Thus, here I am, looking forward to future conversations with new friends in the music world.

BTW, I am so glad there is an active forum for woodwinds. I had wondered if tuba, trombone, and trumpet were the only ones with such. I hope it continues to thrive as the others have.

In music,

Ken Friedrich
www.kfsbrasschamber.com

New Years Greetings

Hi all,

My name is Russ Arnold, and my woodwind life began on alto sax in 1981. I played through high school and college (Brigham Young University), although I didn't major in music. I was able to study for a while under Ray Smith who heads up the jazz programs there, and it was an amazing experience.

I continued playing after college in some local groups (mostly jazz bands) until family responsibilities took priority. I'm currently playing lead tenor in the Dean Clark big band, but it's only a twice-a-year gig. Hopefully as the kids get older I'll be able to start playing more. I do have a son who started on sax a few years ago, so we have a good time playing together.

My horns:
Alto: Back in the late '80s I found a Selmer Balance Action alto (1937) and picked it up for only $350! It only needed a repad, and has been a great horn ever since. I primarily use an Ernie Northway custom mp, and have a Claude Lakey 6* and a Rousseau classical mp as well.

Tenor: About 10 years ago I picked up an awesome tenor (B&S Northway stencil), and have really loved playing that horn. Also use a Northway mp on tenor.

Clarinet: For Christmas I found a good deal on a Selmer Series 9, and have been loving it! I've not spent a lot of time on clarinet up til now, but it has been fun learning the ropes. I have a Borbeck #13 mp that I really like, as well as a Vandoren M15.

Look forward to sharing and learning on the forum.

Howdy

Hi Folks,

I've been a SOTW member for a few years now and just found the WF. I play alto and tenor sax with a little flute now and then. Most of my playing time is spent in a duo with my brother (percissionist) and backing tracks. My day gig is a college professor in Psychology and Neuroscience.

-John

We cover a pretty wide range of material including cliche standards, pop, rock, blues, and even some (gulp) country. We do mostly pub/restaurant/bar gigs with some corporate/private parties. We are currently working up some more jazz standards/Sinatra type stuff to book some more formal gigs.

Hellos

Happy New Year!

I'm a starting sax player from Finland, having only played since August. For about 8 years my main instrument has been the trombone, and recently, with an increasing interest in everything musical, I've expanded to guitar, a bit of piano and bass and most recently, the alto saxophone. I play trombone and sax in a starting rock band and trombone in several student orchestras.
During the days I'm a student at the Finnish version of a high school.
It's good to be a member of this forum and I look forward to gaining a lot of knowledge on the sax, mostly, but also other stuff :)

-Pauli

Hello. I happened to run across this forum while I was researching some things related to my clarinet. I started playing sometime around 8-9 years old through my freshman year in college. Played off and on and after about 20 or so years started playing again in my church orchestra and now in a volunteer civic orchestra. I also own an alto saxophone which I rarely pick up anymore.

Back
Top Bottom