Untitled Document

Advertisement Click to advertise with us!

The Upgrade Thread

Current progress:

Well, I'm learning a bit. I found out there's a setting that you have to make that's not in the upgrade documentation that you should set if you're making a test forum. Documentation-schmockumentation! REAL coders don't need documentation! PHP is like a second language!

Anyhow, I was able to actually update this current forum (a backup, of course) to vBulletin 4.0.1, but there were some display issues. So, good attempt, but not the full 10 yards. Sticky wicket? Insert your own sports analogy for whichever geographical area.

At this moment, the vBulletin.com forum is down. Erm. OK. THAT fills me with confidence. I think we're DEFINITELY waiting until 4.0.2 for the live forum.

I have tickets open with vBulletin to check on my issues and I've asked Ed to contact our host to try to work on a related issue.

In any event, that gives y'all a longer time to look at the other vBulletin themes! Erm. If y'all find one you like. No one's posted a link to one they do.

============

I may not be playing with vBulletin stuff, again, until Tuesday or so next week: I got a call from my 88-year-old grandmother-in-law that her computer's virus infected. FakeAS/AV. I really hope it's not the Braviax variant.

vBulletin 4.0.1 forum working. As posted, above. I will be testing it, first, before telling people that they can test it ....

NOW OPEN FOR TESTING!

The vBulletin 4.0 Forum: http://woodwindforum.com/vbtest2/forum.php

1. The backup I used is about a week old, so if you registered here in the last week, you won't be able to get in. If you changed your password in the last week, you need your OLD password.

2. Any new posts, threads, or blog entries there WILL NOT be saved. They will be deleted when I do the final forum setup.

3. The test forum may go up and down at random intervals, as I play with it.

4. Please post any comments about something broken/something you don't like either HERE or at http://woodwindforum.com/vbtest2/showthread.php?2431-POST-HERE-FOR-COMMENTS-ON-4-0-1-TESTING (yes, you can be logged into both forums at the same time).

5. Check out the themes I've installed. I can get more. It's in the EXTREME lower left hand corner of the screen and it says "vB4 Default Style" by default.

Oooh cool. Is there a Purple Haze?

Actually I kind of like Grey Nights. Good contrast.

Yes, the logo is missing.

I mention this, en passant, on the new forum: I didn't want to add anything I really didn't need to, thus I didn't upload a couple themes I really wanted to. The forum icon is one of them: I can get a "live" forum up and merely put the logo in its place: no problem. I ~may~ have to upload the logo in different places for each theme, too.

Played with:

1. blog post and comments. (Pete you have a large comment to accept. I wanted to see if I could make the blog comment thingee gag.)

2. posting and commenting.

3. posting pictures.

4. all in a non-default skin (pro green)

5. new topics feature.

6. members list.

7. admin panel.

I goofed around around with the same stuff that Gandalfe did, but I reported my own post to the Admin/Moderators. I didn't know if that feature was activated... It was. Oops... :oops: Maybe Pete will slap a temp ban on me because I uploaded a saxy photo.

Oooh cool. Is there a Purple Haze?

Actually I kind of like Grey Nights. Good contrast.
There does seem to be at least one purple theme that's currently available ....

I'm also fairly sure that I can do hourly bans, Helen :p.

I know your banning finger was itchy, since it's been a few hours since your last ban of a 'bot, and days since you got to ban a live person...So I thought I'd oblige you. ;-)

Allegedly, 4.0.2 will be released today. As mentioned above, that's the milestone I was waiting for before making things "live". So, IF 4.0.2 releases today, I MIGHT have the forum upgraded this weekend. That depends on my schedule, too.

Anticipated downtime will be minimal, because I'm working on backups (and I just have to turn the forum off, briefly, to make the backups), different directories, etc., but there will be a point where I'm going to say, "After X hour, your posts will not be transferred to the new forum!" and then it'll take about two hours for me to build the new forum.

I think Pete deserves a great amount of thanks for this undertaking so far. Granted we haven't made the big move yet but Pete is doing this the right way and testing along the way.

Thanks, Ed.

By the bye, 4.0.2 was NOT released today. While I would still support moving to the 4.x platform just because of the kewlness factor (check out the test forum, if you haven't yet), 4.0.2 will have several bug fixes.

Two pleas, Pete, based on the new format as used on SOTW:

1. Is it possible to get more contrast between type and background on the pages that list thread titles?

2. Can the draft replies use a larger type that that used on SOTW?

These don't seem to be problems for young, or even middle-aged, eyes, but they do make things inconvenient to those of us who are nearing our sell-by date.

retread said:
Two pleas, Pete, based on the new format as used on SOTW:

1. Is it possible to get more contrast between type and background on the pages that list thread titles?

2. Can the draft replies use a larger type that that used on SOTW?

These don't seem to be problems for young, or even middle-aged, eyes, but they do make things inconvenient to those of us who are nearing our sell-by date.
As mentioned, I've installed a few Styles ("Styles" are color and font schemes). See if you find one you like: you select it by going to the EXTREME lower left corner of the page, which probably currently says "v4 Default". Otherwise, go to http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=247 and see if one's there.

FWIW, I rather like the "d247 Simple Black" scheme, as it's dark black text on a light grey background.

Back
Top Bottom