WF New People Introductions

Suggestion Box Thread

Hey, nice to have you visit, BBS. Enjoy!

EDIT: I have neglected installing more smilies because I've been doing the college thing (after 20 years). I do plan on installing the music note/bar ones that I installed on SOTW many moons ago. Probably after I finish my classes in August. If you have other suggestions for smilies (or anything else), post 'em.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I finally had to register over here. I wasn't wasting enough time on my other forums.:-D

Besides, I saw some names of folks I missed...

Nice to have you here Hakukani. I don't expect you to be a junior member for long.

John

Yes, some posts just got deleted; trying to fix a problem, folks ....

Edit: Moves complete.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it for the famous actor? I always liked him.

Devine is my wifes maiden name and our email account is in her name, so I'm using that. Strangely, the cowboy actor Andy Devine's grandfather, Thomas Devine, is from the same area of Ireland that my wife's family is from. Small world.
I have not done a genealogy search for her yet to see if there is a connection but I have done one for my family, the O'Nialls from Ulster Ireland, In this country it is spell O'Neill, or in my case, Neill. I was later adapted and my last name changed. I still go to Neill reunions in Indiana and have traced my family line back to the 1200's.

Last edited:
Hi !
I see a lot of people here from SOTW.

I don't see myself as a sax player who plays a bit of flute and clarinet, I try to devote equal time to all my woodwinds.
I play tenor, alto and soprano saxes, flute (I have a BA in classical flute) and Bb and alto clarinets (yes !!! alto clarinet...)

Hi, diagle!

I know what you mean, by the bye: I position myself as a (former) clarinet player, sax player or vocalist -- depending on what I'm called on to do.

Devine is my wifes maiden name and our email account is in her name, so I'm using that. Strangely, the cowboy actor Andy Devine's grandfather, Thomas Devine, is from the same area of Ireland that my wife's family is from. Small world.
I have not done a genealogy search for her yet to see if there is a connection but I have done one for my family, the O'Nialls from Ulster Ireland, In this country it is spell O'Neill, or in my case, Neill. I was later adapted and my last name changed. I still go to Neill reunions in Indiana and have traced my family line back to the 1200's.

Your safe is secret with me.:emoji_relaxed:

Hi !
I see a lot of people here from SOTW.

I don't see myself as a sax player who plays a bit of flute and clarinet, I try to devote equal time to all my woodwinds.
I play tenor, alto and soprano saxes, flute (I have a BA in classical flute) and Bb and alto clarinets (yes !!! alto clarinet...)

Welcome! I have an alto clarinet myself :emoji_relaxed: (although I mainly play contra...)

Enjoy,

Grant

Me

I suppose I should do a little self-introduction - I joined about a year ago, but then forgot about this forum for rather too long.......

I've always been a person who struggled to get away from music, and I think I've now given up trying. I was initally attracted to music by a "pseudo-aunt" (now 90 years old), who was for many years a professional oboist (Tasmanian Symphony Orchestra) and in her early teens had played violin, piano and alto sax with the family dance band.

I didn't get the chance to study music until high school (money was tight in those days), where I played flute (because they didn't have any oboes). I did reasonably well, but was more keen than able - I certainly didn't seem destined for a career in the area, unlike my younger trumpet playing brother.

So, I headed off to university to study life sciences and similar things, which didn't ever really happen because I was too busy helping run the University Musical Society (and rockclimbing) until I gave up on that idea and worked for the Australian Bureau of Statistics for almost two years. I got bored, and headed back home to Hobart to the Tasmanian Conservatorium of Music to study - education stream. This was good and bad - I "scraped through" as far as playing the flute was concerned - I was too out of practice when I started and never really caught up - but I found positives in other areas - choral singing, where I got to sing in many major works - the ones by Bach were the John Passion, Matthew Passion (x2), Christmas Oratorio and B minor Mass, not to mention the Verdi Requiem and many more major choral works. I also developed an interest in composition, arranging and orchestration.

Having ended up with a B Mus I headed off to be a music teacher - which I still am - but amused myself in various other ways as well - scuba diving, sailing, skiing, composition (getting my string works published of all things) and choral arranging (you can find a few examples if you you do a Youtube search for "Karpiniec".

A bit over four years ago I had an urge (mid-life crisis?) to buy a tenor saxophone, and to start doing some practice again - and I haven't stopped since. I play in two very different bands, the Derwent Valley Concert Band, with which I've now toured Beijing and Europe, and also a 60s pop/Rnb band, which has made me develop a few new improvisation skills, and also earned me a little money. The downside is that I hen't been doing so much composition/arrangement - but I've had fun.

And that's enough for now, unless anyone really wants to know more.

Stefan

Greetings To All

Hi All,
My Name is Manny Chavez and I am a new member to WWF.I have played the Alto Sax since the 6th grade and played for several years Semi pro in a tejano band.I had:cry: a Selmer Mark VI 1971 model which I kick myself daily for selling it after I had decided that I was not going to play again,Boy, What a mistake .I recently started playing again and currently have purchased a Pierret Super Artiste which I am having rebuilt by Sarge at World Wide Sax.I will have pictures as soon as I get them.By the way I am 58 years old and a full time Taxidermist in Carlsbad ,N.M.

Regards, Manny Chavez :)

Hi Manny. Glad to see you here. I'm also glad to hear that you're having your Pierret rebuilt by Sarge. He'll do a great job. He just rebuilt a Conn 10M for me. I couldn't be happier with the work.

Back
Top Bottom