Prettiest Sax of the Moment

A. Rampone from (probably) the 1920s. From http://www.soundfuga.jp/SHOP/s120701rampone_as_sp576k0625.html.

120701rampone_as_sp576_1m.jpg

Ha! I have a Rampone like this! It's not pretty yet, I still have to polish it...

Okay, took some pictures. I finally found a way of comparatively easily present an instrument without resorting to all kinds of obtrusive stands and contraptions.
(if there is interest, I'll elaborate further)
RCFrontRightSml.jpgRCFrontLeftSml.jpgRCRightSml.jpgRCLeftSml.jpg

My vote for prettiest horn ATM is this Empor by Franz Köhler. It's currently for sale on eBay.de, and when that vanishes, I wrote about it today on my weblog.

It just had a fresh overhaul at a sax shop in Cologne, and is looking for a new home. Sure it has some worn silver-plate, but hey, don't we all? :geezer1:

Right-Side-Neck-Attached.jpg Low-C-Mechanism.jpg Rolled-Tone-Holes.jpg

I vote for this from eBay France today. Since it'll be gone soon I'll copy a bit about it:

saxophone Adolphe Sax alto n° 20615 . 50 rue st Georges.
2.500,00 EUR
Bon état pour un saxophone de l'inventeur du saxophone.Facteur de la maison militaire de L'Empereur à Paris. Nécessite un nettoyage, et pour ceux qui veulent l'utiliser, une restauration complète incluant réglage , retamponnage etc. L'instrument est en bon état, le métal est sain.

$_57 (2).JPG$_57 (1).JPG$_57.JPG

My vote for prettiest horn ATM is this Empor by Franz Köhler. It's currently for sale on eBay.de, and when that vanishes, I wrote about it today on my weblog.

It just had a fresh overhaul at a sax shop in Cologne, and is looking for a new home. Sure it has some worn silver-plate, but hey, don't we all? :geezer1:

View attachment 2021 View attachment 2022 View attachment 2023

I've been waiting for a vintage horn to really grab my eye. This is it. Just a pity it'll be this time next year before I can justify another sax spending spree. I'll go over and read more on your blog (my German is limited to dri beer bitter).

What would you say it's worth?

I've been waiting for a vintage horn to really grab my eye. This is it. Just a pity it'll be this time next year before I can justify another sax spending spree. I'll go over and read more on your blog (my German is limited to dri beer bitter).

What would you say it's worth?

Ah, no need for German. Whenever I write about a sax, I do the translation for you, but provide the original--in case anyone wants to check my translating nuances.

my German is limited to dri beer bitter

Hey, and if you can order beer in Germany, that's really all that matters, right? Just try and drop the "r" at the end of bitte, and you'll fit in just a touch better. Either way though, the waitress will understand what you mean. :emoji_relaxed:

As far as what the Franz Köhler horn is worth, I'd would think it's priced pretty well ATM. Don't forget European prices are higher than North American ones.

I just checked in on the auction. With 6 days to go, I'm rather surprised to see that the horn is still available, and that there are no mentions of offers on the sax yet. The tenor does have 16 watchers though, even if you take me out of the mix, and at least 7 others out as just peeping toms ;), that still potentially leaves 8 serious buyers on the horn. I don't think we'll see it go unsold. Given its condition, I would be surprised if we see it make a return visit on eBay.

One thing that does limit its sale though, is that the seller will only ship to German addresses. Although disappointing to potential foreign buyers, there are enough vintage players in Germany that would appreciate this baby that my above words should be true. But hey, I've been wrong before. eBay is a funny thing. It all depends on who sees the horn, and if the right buyer just happens to see the auction at the right time.

I vote for this from eBay France today. Since it'll be gone soon I'll copy a bit about it:

saxophone Adolphe Sax alto n° 20615 . 50 rue st Georges.
2.500,00 EUR
Bon état pour un saxophone de l'inventeur du saxophone.Facteur de la maison militaire de L'Empereur à Paris. Nécessite un nettoyage, et pour ceux qui veulent l'utiliser, une restauration complète incluant réglage , retamponnage etc. L'instrument est en bon état, le métal est sain.
Pete Transliterate: "A good horn from the inventor of the saxophone, himself. The inscription on the horn says that this was made for the Emperor of Paris' military. The horn requires some cleaning. It might be a good candidate for a full restoration or just have it buffed [Pete note: NO]. The instrument is in good mechanical condition and the body looks good, too."

The only bit I worry about is that the seller only has 11 feedback ticks. I could complain, a little, that he's obviously polished the bell a bit. It's only $3400 US, though, and it looks like he ships worldwide ....

Hey, and if you can order beer in Germany, that's really all that matters, right? Just try and drop the "r" at the end of bitte, and you'll fit in just a touch better. Either way though, the waitress will understand what you mean. :emoji_relaxed:

Ich entschuldige mich für die schlechte Übersetzung. I must have been thinking of "bitter" beer (a favourite type of mine) and being English by birth, warm bitter is best! :)

Thanks very much for the translation, and your thoughts on the price. I would be very tempted to make an offer if the tax man wasn't breathing down my neck.

I don't mind the link. The only unfortunate thing is you have to register before you can see the pics.

I'm going to steal one of the pics, because the horn's for sale.

What I want to see is a Virtuoso Deluxe finished Conn New Wonder bass.

Attachments

• IMG_0118_zps53ef31e9.jpg
    IMG_0118_zps53ef31e9.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 445
Possibly the rarest sax that was on eBay, this Raymond Dubois Essor. Needs some work, but you've gotta love the additional keywork, the milled keys, and the adjustable thumbrest. It sold for 705 Euros.

Keilwerth-made Triumpf. Yes, it could be a really nice-looking Keilwerth copy, but I doubt it. Compare the engraving to this Super DES horn.

According to the original eBay ad for the Triumpf, the engraving is called "Die Frauengestalt" by a "Herr Reichelt." I tried to Google that, but I get too many results on that in German ....

Here's an Archive.org link, in case the original one goes away.

The only thing I don't like about the picture is that this is a "pink gold" horn ("PGP") and the pictures don't look very pink. Still very pretty, though!

121117s9930pgp3071_01.jpg

Here are pics of an A-9937 PGP that show off the color a bit better.

Back
Top Bottom